LA Galaxy flavored USMNT 2014 (World Cup Edition)

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by CSUFstewie, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Sorry but that is BS. All he had to say was:
    1) What he did, that he thinks Germany will make it out of the group before they play the USA
    2) What he did not which would be something like this: "I want the our team the USA to go as far as we can. After that I will root for Germany if they are still in play".

What he said, leaves him open to question. Would he play for a win or draw against Germany if it meant that they not going through as the 1 seed. Not a trifle since Germany played that dishonest game in 82.

Frankly he owes the USMNT and fans an apology.

FlapJack and StillKickin repped this.
  2. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What bothers me the most is people will have someone to blame if we get hammered by Germany.

3. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    What I find amusing is that anyone would take seriously anything that he says.

4. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I take it seriously, but I still don't like him coming and saying he hopes another team wins the World Cup. He could have/should have kept that to himself. And with all the BS he spouts to the press, I am way past getting tired of it. I just don't care for his attitude, I admit that. But I'm not going to waste another minute thinking about it.

5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Yes, Germany should probably hammer the USA, however, it took a bad call for Germany to beat the USA in 2002. So a draw isn't at all outside the realm of plausibility and a win while highly unlikely is always possible. Ask Portugal about whether the USA can beat them in a WC match.

Geneva repped this.
  6. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #506 SoCalYid, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    That was 12 years ago, which was probably one of poorest German teams to make the final. The team was ancient, Matthaus was pushing 40. They only made it to the final because from a quality standpoint it was probably one of the worst in the modern era. FIFA cheated Italy and Spain, both would have beaten Germany. Italy had the most talented squad after Brazil. Also Zidane's injury took one of the favorites out of contention.

The DFB after Euro 2000 had already started to lay the ground work for the players coming through right now. This Germany team would crush that team on form, they're on another level. It's probably the most talent they have had since '90.

It reminds me of arguments I had with Irish fans who kept referencing the '94 World Cup in the lead up to the match with Italy for the 2012 Euros. That match held no barring on proceedings in 2012, completely different teams and eras. Our play short of the Gold Cup hasn't been inspiring. Anything can happen but my optimism is low. Klinsmann's comments won't effect the realities of the task which we're facing, jmo.

jmaestro repped this.
  7. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoCalYid is totally right in his analysis. This isn't our 2002 team and this isn't Germany's either. And the people thinking we can handle Portugal are nuts. You really think our defense can handle C. Ronaldo & Co? If you think we can beat them, you'd better think we can put up 3 or 4 because they will certainly score 2 or 3. The only way we advance out of this group is beat Ghana, draw Portugal, and get a point off a Germany team that already has the #1 spot in the bag. Odds are it is going to go a lot worse than that.

8. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw, before people hammer me, I am country over club and am going to Brazil to support the team. I always support and root for the USMNT. But I am not going to get worked up about realistic statements and I don't see it through rose colored glasses.

9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    FIFA cheated Italy and Spain - really? I guess in your mind thats the only possible explanation when a European team gets beat by a team other than Brazil or Argentina. Frankly, IMO, neither were cheated by FIFA, they lost to a host team Korea that had a huge home team advantage. If you look at the tournament, unloved by FIFa, but talented Italy was a seated team (Pot A). Yet somehow with all that talent, they only went 1-1-1 in their pool and came in a deserved 2nd place in the pool to Mexico (who the crappy, untalented USA beat in the first knockout round). The only way I can see you justifying the FIFA cheating claim is by claiming the diving call on Totti in the box by the Ecuadorian Ref where he got his second yellow card was directed by FIFA (a claim made by guess who - the Italian media). As far as I can tell, the ref let a lot of physical play by both Korea and Italy go. Strangely enough, I guess the USA wasn't cheated when they played in the same pool as Korea and tied them. As for Spain, also pot A, they had a comparatively easy group and won handily (so I guess no cheating there). Perhaps the cheating was the pulled groin Raul suffered in their 1-1 tie against Ireland in the first round (where they advanced on penalties). Then there was the game against Korea where there was clearly a bad call. But since the Koreans stopped playing after the flag went up for a goal kick, who knows what would have happened.

What I do know is that Korea was coached by a passionate coach who believed in his team.

StillKickin and FlapJack repped this.
  10. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [quote="73Bruin, post: 29922483, member:

What I do know is that Korea was coached by a passionate coach who believed in his team.[/quote]

Yeah, it's all over because Klinsmann doesn't believe we can win the WC. *rolls eyes*

Fans are fans. Fans are crazy and hopeful. Coaches deal with real players and opponents and games.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  11. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    If you honestly think this Klinsman quote means he'll tank against Germany, or in any way matters in any way at all, maybe you should just take a pass on the World Cup and direct your attention to something that won't give you a heart attack. Or use it as a time of quiet reflection about what has gone wrong in your life.

GalaxyOne and jmaestro repped this.
  12. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #512 SoCalYid, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    First off, Italy starting slowly in an international tournament...... shocking. Have Italy won anything without starting slowly? People really shouldn't still be surprised after 1982. Italy drew all their matches and finished behind Poland in the first round yet went on to beat the best Brazilian team never to win a World Cup, better than sides who actually won.

The refs influenced pretty much all matches that Italy played. In the Croatia match, two goals were chalked off and a penalty wasn't given. In the Mexico match two goals were called offside, both scored by Pippo. Tommasi was through on goal and called offside against Korea, then of course the red on Capitano which was a joke.

All through the match there were shirt pulls, elbows, and reckless challenges. Italy had a few but the refs let S. Korea disrupt the flow of that match. At one point a S. Korean player kicked Maldini in the back of the head either intentionally or just being woefully inept, either way he arguably could have been sent off for that. Zambrotta got a boot to the groin, someone else who's name escapes me got an elbow in the mouth.

It's funny the story lines from that match still persist to this day. S. Korea were painted as a wonderful inspiring team when in reality they were pretty dirty. It was like watching Stoke at the Britannia, they couldn't cope with the technical quality so they played physical to try and level the playing field.

It's not like Italy can never be accused of it, Gentile's boot might still be up Maradona's ass. Still I think the favoritism was blatant and it's a shame because as always I think Italy would have grown into the tournament and Brazil v Italy would have been a much better final than Brazil v Germany.

Anyways, point being. Both Italy and Spain were better than Germany at that time. Also that holds no bearing on this tournament, like the fact the USA almost nicked Germany. I wish Italy could still have the level of attacking talent in 2002 - Totti, Del Piero, Vieri, Inzaghi, Delvecchio and Montella.

generaladmissision18 repped this.
  13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care if it's reality. It comes across as arrogant and condescending. It reminds me of when he joined the national team and his comments on MLS, and his comments on going to Europe.

It's yet another reminder that Europe is king. Look, we get it. You don't need to exhaustively mention it again and again and again.

I hate quotes that make it out like we are a nation of soccer plebes. This just adds to his pile.

I want to hear his strategies for attempting to WIN that game. Yes, we are the severe underdogs, but I would hate to think he approaches it from the perspective of "why show up?" [note: that is definitely not his perspective as he is uber competitive]

For awhile there his PR staff shaped him up. They need to go stop him from running his mouth again.

But his leadership style is not my leadership style nor one I appreciate, so there is that.

StillKickin and The Cadaver repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Its the second time he's told the press we don't have a chance to win the WC. It's fine to think it and it is 99% true but for gods sake that isn't what the coach needs to be spouting. What happened to his mantra that the US just needs to think it can win, to take the field like it believes it can win? Now he tells the world basically "I said that? Nah, I was just kidding. The US has no chance. Now can we get on to my true love- Germany?" And what's the point of saying it in the 1st place? It seems less about setting realistic expectations and more about a lack of discipline as a coach and representative of US Soccer.

15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that, but it registers as completely tone deaf as to what American culture is all about.

We are a nation that believes in the underdog having a chance. We celebrate the underdog. We adore Cinderella stories. We make major motion pictures about them. Rudy, Miracle, etc.

To not know that's a big part of our sports culture or even worse, not care? Tone deaf.

StillKickin and 73Bruin repped this.
  16. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Klinsmann has said so many dumb things over the years that I am sure he thinks are terribly clever. Perhaps he said that to properly motivate his team? Or maybe he was sending a message to LD?

As long he puts out 11 of the US's best players in a formation and with a strategy designed to win, then I won't think any less of him.

17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann talks and I dont listen

18. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aye Carumba. Oy vey. Mama mia. So many prickly feelings.

1. We hired Klinsmann because our system had a ceiling to it---the development of young players was not systematic enough and we needed a better system, like what Germany uses.

2. We hired Klinsmann because we wanted someone who had been there before at the highest levels both playing and coaching.

3. We hired Klinsmann because what we had available as American coaches was simply not good enough to get us to the next level.

Now we're going to be upset because he thinks Europe is better? Because he accurately assesses other teams? Because he doesn't think we can win the WC this cycle? (Which he NEVER said was possible, btw.) Because he isn't all 'ra ra, America is the BEST!' ? We're upset because 'he keeps saying, over and over!' that our players will play better in international play when they've played in the best leagues in the world instead of MLS? We're mad because he openly says he wants players to fight for a spot on a top team instead of a huge paycheck in MLS?

Come on people. This is what we wanted. We didn't want an endless procession of Arenas and Bradleys. We wanted to find the way to the next level. And now we're pissed because of how he talks, all while he is revamping the systems that need revamping and ripping off a historic run with a team in transition.

I have some criticisms of Klinsmann, but none of them has to do with his comments on the WC or Europe.

cleschke and The Cadaver repped this.
  19. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a big fan of the way that the statement was phrased (though I understand it was translated, so not sure what effect that had). I have no issue with Klinsmann rooting for Germany once the US is out, but I don't really like him talking like a German fan (which is how it sounded).

That being said, I'm curious as to why no one is interpreting this as analogous to the Mourinho approach. Jose has consistently said that Chelsea is below Man City's level. He said the same about PSG. He stressed that Chelsea doesn't have the squad to win silverware this year. He continues to assert that Chelsea will not win the EPL this year.

Yet, does anyone seriously believe that Mourinho doesn't inspire confidence in his players?

Does anyone seriously believe that Mourinho isn't TRYING to win every trophy, every game he is involved in?

Coaches have different ways of handling the media, the fans, and their players. I question a lot of things about JK, foremost his player selection. However, since I don't have an idea of how he manages the locker room, I'm not going to question his comments much. Indications currently are that the team is high on belief, and we can't discount JK for that while blaming him for everything else.

I understand that Jose gets a lot of slack because he's won so damn much. JK obviously is viewed differently (rightfully so), but it doesn't seem outlandish to me that his tack in this situation is along the same lines.

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to set the record straight, I am not upset and worked up about his statements saying we are not on the level of Germany, Portugal, etc. and that it would take some doing for us to beat them. I totally understand that sentiment. I am not unrealistic and absolutely know it would take quite a feat (I also know that anything can happen in a tournament; thus I'm not willing to just throw in the towel and accept defeat before the game is played)

But what gets my goat as a fan who has seen our guys battle against all odds and never give up is the fact that the very coach who leads our team into such battle is openly hoping Germany wins it all. I find that offensive.

Berks and 73Bruin repped this.
  21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could rep this post repeatedly.

22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You create so many straw men in your arguments and throw out so much that is irrelevant that it is hard to respond to. What does the fact that he wants our players to play in Europe have to do with some of us not liking his recent comment? You seem to be saying that because he is a good coach and is tough and has a lot of experience its ok for him to say he hopes another team than the US wins the WC? He could be the best coach in the history of soccer and I wouldn't like the comment. And its not because I'm" too sensitive" - its because I think that the US national team coach openly rooting for our opponent to win a competition we are entered in is flat out wrong. I also think that it clearly conveys that in his mind the war is lost already - before we've set a foot in Brazil.

Of course we knew that already:

But when asked whether his team, when playing at its best, can win the world's most popular tournament, Klinsmann showed the limits of his optimism.

“No, you've got to be realistic,” he said. “I mean, I think we have the potential, obviously like in the past, to get out of the group stage – it depends, obviously, who you have in your group – and then it's all down to 50-50 games. Then you give the real battles in the knockout stage.

“But why not going a bit further than you ever did before? Why not giving the big nations, whoever that is, a real battle? And that's why we play those friendlies in Italy or we play in Bosnia or wherever against top teams in the world, and we showed that we can compete there. So why not in the World Cup?”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...rogress-have-be-realistic-about-2014-world-cu

Berks, StillKickin and MPNumber9 repped this.
  23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually not as at odds with JK as some posters, but I think this statement was a misstep and, as skydog pointed out, it's not the first time he's made it. I think it's a cultural thing he just doesn't get. We always think we can win; right up until the final minute, no matter the odds. In his mind, JK has already decided the best US can hope for is to "cause a sensation":

Question is, what if Germany's not through? What if we're already out, but can somehow spoil their chances of getting out with a win or tie? Or worse, what if we're somehow both competing for the final spot? Not a super-likely scenario, but a practical one nonetheless that Jurgen didn't seem to consider when making this statement.

Ironically, I think the American winning psychology is probably the one edge we have on Germany, which has looked mentally weak and chokey when they're surprised. Collapsed mentally after going down against Italy in the Euros. BM (which contains a core of Germany players) collapsed after Chelsea equalized in the CL Final and went on to win it IN GERMANY. They looked flabbergasted after going down multiple goals during their friendly against us last year and coughed up a 4-0 lead to tie Sweden in qualifying before that (again in Germany). A decent side with belief can take it to them.

The curiosity is, will the German-American contingent of our team believe in our ability to win despite the odds or will they think like Klinsmann?

24. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern Munich have issues playing against English clubs, which is the opposite mentality of the national team. That is the time when Bayern look the most mentally weak. Still we don't have have Drogba. I just don't think we have that player who can put us over the top against a fully manned or partially manned Germany side and a defense who can keep them off the board.

The Sweden match was an anomaly, also they have some good players in Sweden. They should have qualified for the World Cup. They did exactly what they needed to do finishing second to Germany they just got an unlucky draw to get Portugal. Germany had Badstuber, Mertesacker and Boateng at the back you're not likely to see that combination start unless Germany trout out the B team, Badstuber (who was the biggest problem) might not even go.

Typically Germany are very strong in qualifying and they don't tend to choke until the knockout stages of tournaments. Tactically disciplined, highly technical and strong mentality clubs tend to do them in. Which is why Germany have always had such an issue playing Italy, regardless of the state of both teams at the time.

We've focus a lot on potential areas of weakness for clubs like Germany but we overlook our biggest area of weakness, who the hell do we have who can defend Germany's attacking players? Even if Germany play a b team, a guy like Gotze might be in that "B-team".

Some English media guys took offense that Germany would dare turn up to Wembley and field a B-team. That "B" team still consisted of Reus, Kroos, Gotze, Schmelzer, Boateng, Mertesacker, Weidenfeller, etc. I mean, Schurrle, Sam and Draxler came off the bench.

Scary stuff man..... Like I said it's the most depth they've had in a long time.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  25. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skydog, I fundamentally disagree with you on the point of whether he should say he hopes Germany wins. We can argue the rest, but that is our fundamental conflict. I do not subscribe to the idea that he has to be "We're going to win it, we can win it, we hate everyone else." I just fundamentally think the ludicrously positive outlook has any value at all. It reminds me of the Clinton/Dole election when Rush Limbaugh was saying that Dole could win right up until the final returns came in and he got crushed. It's ridiculous, it doesn't help the team, and I'd rather have someone who acknowledges the challenges and gets the team ready in the underdog role. He's done a ton to make sure that the team believes they can win any game they go into, so I think the idea that he has given up doesn't have any merit. I just hate false confidence that crumbles the minute you really face the onslaught. Know it is coming, prepare that way, and don't spout nonsense.