LA Galaxy flavored USMNT 2014 (World Cup Edition)

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by CSUFstewie, Jan 3, 2014.

1. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    Donovan and Omar get call ups for the January camp ...

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION – Detailed RosterGOALKEEPERS (4): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
    DEFENDERS (10): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Harrington (Portland Timbers), Chris Klute (Colorado Rapids), Chance Myers (Sporting Kansas City), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), Seth Sinovic (Sporting Kansas City), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Eric Alexander (New York Red Bulls), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (4): Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (D.C. United), Mike Magee (Chicago Fire), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

profiled and Geneva repped this.
  2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally!! World Cup year!!!

:)

Berks, rokstedy, GalaxyKoa and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The captain armband should go to Donovan, the most experienced USMNT member in this camp.

4. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    Glad to see Magee get a look ... I know these guys for the most part are fighting for a roster spot outside of the starting 11 but still glad to see him get a shot. You gotta figure if push comes to shove he can fill in as back up keeper too!

The Cadaver repped this.
  5. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    My guess is that Rimando gets it.

6. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but I'll bet it's Beckerman.

Berks and StillKickin repped this.
  7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I figure too. And I saw on Twitter, Kyle got married...tonight! Congrats! Very understanding wife - since he has to report for camp on Monday!

Geneva repped this.
  8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to sound snarky, but it is a serious question. Does it make any difference? It seems to me that in the modern game the refs permit non-captains to discuss calls anyway, and to the extent that someone (like Landon) is actually a leader, he will lead whether he has a piece of cloth on his arm or not. Seems to me it is almost purely ceremonial and unless someone sulks because he was passsed over for the captaincy, doesn't impact much of anything.

dashiel repped this.
  9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, and the best teams have several leaders, with only one wearing the armband. LD seems to take a pretty good attitude about it, at least publicly. The only time I remember reading any grumbling was in the Wahl book about the captaincy going to Beckham after his arrival.

10. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So who'll be going to the game against Korea at Victoria Street to get a glimpse of Mike Magee?

11. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going. Seeing Magee (maybe) is icing on the cake. Remember, the fact he was called into camp doesn't assure that he will be in the 18 against Korea. I love me some Magee but I am not at all sure he is Klinsi's kind of player. We'll see.

12. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I'll be there.

Anyone heard anything about any open training sessions during camp?

13. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there and I'm bringing my 3 year old boy for his first professional soccer game. WOOT WOOT

hav77, forie, MPNumber9 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really curious how the Gonzo/Besler partnership continues. Hope they start against South Korea and play the full 90.

15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Galaxy reunion - look who's biking together!

https://vine.co/v/hYQIY6WZvpl

P.S. Gonzo looks GIANT on that bike compared to Landon and Mike.
    P.P.S. Seriously, does Wondo take a "nice" pill every morning? How on earth is he on the same team as Lenhart?

Baysider, hav77, MPNumber9 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Notice the speed difference between the 3? LD is spinning, OG is taking it easy not really pushing it and Magee looks like the 70 plus crowd at the gym as they read the paper while riding a stationary bike.

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to know with JK, but Magee should be his type of player if you take his early talk at face value. He's a ball player that can keep possession and has a superb IQ. My only doubt is how he'll adapt physically at the international level, but when it comes to soccer brain and skill on the ball, there are few in our whole pool that are on par with Magee IMHO.

18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes he values brains over brawn, especially the hi soccer IQ's players who are also good with possession - like Jermaine Jones. Or even Altidore for that matter.
    Sorry that comes off snarky but I'm just saying I wish he valued smarts over brawn in actual games. JJ is the antithesis of that philosophy. He's all athleticism and aggression (good) but with little evidence that he is reading the game or anticipating play (dangerously bad). Just a bull in a china shop too often for my taste.

The Cadaver repped this.
  19. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And when did we all get so naive as to believe what coaches say?

TrickHog repped this.
  20. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh God.

21. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because this is a World Cup year, I see JK starting a very piratical lineup. Made up of guys that are on the verge of making the WC roster.

--------Donovan---Johnson--------
    Davis----------------------------Zusi
    -------Diskerud--Beckerman-------
    Klute---Besler--Gonzalez---Evans
    ---------------Rimando--------------

22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure who the smarter player that's been left off the roster in favor of those two would be. You could make an argument for Johanssen in Jozy's case, I guess, but I don't think it's cut-and-dry.

23. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see Beckerman at Tuesday Jan. 7th practice when I stopped by the Stub Hub Center to get tickets to the S. Korea game. The team looked sharp and energetic. They did some one-touch drills then moved on to small-sided scrimmages. I was pretty happy with what I saw. I liked that Klinsmann and his coaches kept things moving at a good pace without much lecturing. I think this is a good, deep roster. I just can't see us losing to S. Korea. Donovan was super nice. As was the rest of the team. Thanks, from a grateful fan. GO USA!!!

Berks, rokstedy, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  24. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @LAGalaxyInsider: Caught this great video snippet during #USMNT training. Classy @LandonDonovan goal on #RSL's @NickRimando - http://t.co/LtmVPPQ9UI

Could it be...Magee and LD combining for a goal.

Berks repped this.
  25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Who is the guy playing atrocious defense? Looks a little like AJ but its not. He never played that bad.