LA at Revs: Pre/In/Post

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, May 28, 2013.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt a great disturbance in the LA Galaxy, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

(I was reading the Gals' boards. Funny.)

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, just wow. Was watching the game with my 6 year old grandson who after the 4 goal looked at me and said Papa, that white team is really really bad aren't then. I told him, not really its just that today the blue team is playing really really good.
    Honesty a Revs team hasn't played this well since Dempsey, Twellman, Noonan, Joseph and Ralston were on the field together. As for LA, when Chad Barrett scores a goal and has an assist within 4 minutes after being on the field for less than 2 mins you know you are having a bad day.

Khkevin repped this.
  4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We actually RSL'd someone back!

NFLPatriot repped this.
  5. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This might mean a new era? i guess this is too early to tell.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go ahead Diego, keep that crap up and you will be playing in Europe before your 20! Do you want that? You are grounded! go to your room!

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most satisfying win since 4-0 vs LA after the 2005 final. Well done revs.

8. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I love that they kept going for more at the end. You can tell there was some release of frustration there. This team is gaining confidence and looking a lot more sure of their play.

9. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, everyone here mocking the "this team needs time to gel" posts, sure look foolish now. Remember folks to stretch before jumping on this bandwagon - don't want to hurt yourself.

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one told you you could leave your room. Your still grounded so get back in there and shut up. :cool:

firstshirt, patfan1 and Feldspar repped this.
  11. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009

I'm still not sure it was gelling. Finding the right formation and putting players in the correct positions was more important from what I've seen.

Crooked, patfan1 and joegrav repped this.
  12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The 4-3-3 is what turned the season around. It fits the roster like a glove.

If we can maintain 1.46 ppg, that's 50 points. That would be... crazy

joegrav and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  13. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Just think of the starting lineup, Farrell - rookie; Goncalves - 1st year Rev; Toja - only played 5 games last season, 0 starts; Sene had been injured; Fagundez has already started more games this year than all of last season.

This has been a team in transition with lots of new faces. The team needed time to gel, which includes figuring out the best formation.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right its tactics and health. Nothing to do with "gelling" (drink!)

15. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped.
    Yup, the consensus there seems to be that they walked in the Valley of the Shadow of Death, and feared great Evil, for the Magee was not with them. ;)

16. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nguyen, in particular, tested internationally, more mature, yet who adds a sharp creativity in the midfield that currently simply doesn't exist on the USMNT [Dempsey is creative, in making his shots, but definitely not so much as a midfielder]. ....... That said, I suspect that JK might prefer to p*ss glass than go with someone like Lee. [ Just..Not...His..Style. :rolleyes: ]

17. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to remember the last time the Revs put a drubbing on one of the league's marquee teams in front of a good size crowd on national TV.

Not ready to crown us MLS Cup contenders, but definitely a lot to like about the form they are in right now. Scoring goals, keeping clean sheets, and playing an entertaining game. They keep this up for the majority of the season and I'll be the first in line to pat the brain trust on the back.

Khkevin, JDEsq09 and a517dogg repped this.
  18. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That was fantastic to watch. DC United must be pissing themselves. Hopefully our guys don't get complacent.

I liked Kyle Martino calling the Revs a dark horse, too.

19. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    • I'm not sure how much of this mini-winning streak comes down to the acquisition of Agudelo, but to me, the difference it makes having a real striker on the team is incalculable.

• As a possession advocate, I have to throw up my hands and agree that possession is far less valuable than I had thought for this team to succeed.

• If you had told me that the D-mid linchpin would turn out not to be Cissé, but rather Caldwell, I would have asked about your last urine drug test. It's kind of a warm, fuzzy feeling to think that Caldwell is only going to get better.

• It seems that we got over the Shuttleworth hate a couple games ago. Can we be done with the McCarthy hate as well?

• Have we ever had the options we currently have coming off the bench, even in the Rev's hey-day?

• Since the team is doing well without an aerial threat, or any likelihood of scoring on set pieces (something else I had said wouldn't happen), I wonder how other teams are going to adjust. At the very least, I expect to see future opposing teams thugging it up. If I owned the team, I would put up a meaningful financial incentive for players who scored or combined to score on set plays.

• Donovan's alternate reality: "I chased the guy on the sideline, and he took a dive and we both got up,” Donovan explained to reporters. “He kind of smiled at me, and I said, 'Don't do that,' and he said, 'I know, I dove.' So the linesman pointed his flag for us, and we were both moving back. He was defending and I was moving forward to get the throw-in, and the next thing I knew, the referee inexplicably called a foul. They were going at us and in our box, and then from there it was a goal.” Either the drugs still haven't worn off from his junket to southeast Asia, or nobody told him that it's the ref who makes the call, not the AR.

a517dogg and bwidell repped this.
  20. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was up with Kyle Martino's "sports announcer growl" affect?

21. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena's living in that same reality:

"I’m going to kind of make believe the last 15 minutes didn’t happen, but for the most part our back line played alright. The second goal, let’s be honest, the referee made a big mistake and caught our whole team on the wrong side of the ball and that happens and that basically turns the game, but no excuses on our part."

:rolleyes:

22. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Khkevin, a517dogg and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  23. Stereolab

Stereolab BigSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats guys. :) But wish it was us. :(

24. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Another great aspect of the win is that the 5 goals came from 5 different players - confidence boost all around, and makes it harder for opponents to prepare. Goals can literally come from anywhere on this team.

25. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    This is Revs' largest league win all-time, together with the other 5-goals win in 2004:
    http://aragon.ws/soccerdb/team/stat...lt=1&teamLeagueId=0&year=0&matches=0&result=0

Biggest win​
    2004-09-18 MLS Colorado Rapids (H) 6 - 1​

The other games where Revs have scored 5 goals were the following:
    http://aragon.ws/soccerdb/team/matches.php?teamId=403&teamLeagueId=0&year=0&matches=0&result=1

2001-08-04 MLS FC Dallas (H) 5 - 1 W​
    2003-08-30 MLS Chicago Fire SC (H) 5 - 1 W​
    2003-10-25 MLS New York Red Bulls (H) 5 - 2 W​

Crewbasher, Khkevin and joegrav repped this.