LA at Revs: Pre/In/Post

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, May 28, 2013.

1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see the Revs win a Open Cup match for a change :)
    LA will be a different matter
    Some injuries tonight and players off on International duty will effect who plays Sunday
    Revs on a bit of a roll and show signs of life
    Whose available--who starts ?
    Discuss

2. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    None of the injuries tonight looked very serious, hopefully everyone is available.

Barnes, AJ, McCarthy and Gonsalves all healthy. Gonsalves must start, who starts next to him?

3. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think the starting CB spot is McCarthy's to lose, and this game is a big test for both him and Shuttleworth on whether they can retain their positions in the lineup for the remainder of the season.

No Keane, Gonzalez, or Magee for the Galaxy - all major holes and a prime opportunity for the Revs to take a point from a top team at home. They still haven't beaten a Western Conference team yet this year, and blew points at home against a similarly neutered RSL team last month, but maybe they're due. The Galaxy have crazy depth for a MLS team though and an underrated central midfield. They also still have Landon Donovan, unless he picked up Superstar Turforrhea on his sabbatical.

Score Prediction: 1-1 tie.

Starting Lineup Prediction:
    Sene
    Agudelo - Toja - Nguyen - Fagundez
    Caldwell (assuming Cisse is being worked back in slowly)
    Tierney - McCarthy - Goncalves - Farrell
    Shuttleworth

(Man, it's nice having lineup continuity).

bwidell repped this.
  4. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on McCarthy. And agree on your starting 11, although maybe switch positions of Agudelo and Sene, and maybe sims instead of Caldwell.

And the bench is Barrett, Rowe, Sims/Caldwell, Cisse, Barnes, Soares, Reis.

I think I read that we were going to send Rochester reinforcements for the weekend (in addition to LaTigue and Polak). But if Guy is still injured and if Heaps holds out Dorman and Imbongo and Smith (Heaps does seem to like to hold out guys if they aren't absolutely 100%), then with four loanees already gone and with Bengsten away we have only 19 healthy players counting Soffner, so we really don't have anyone else to send Rochester to help get through the weekend.

Anyway, for Sunday, its great to have 9 starters on a full weeks rest, and two who only played one half tonight.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well managed Jay Heaps

bwidell and LongDuckDong repped this.
  6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really hope Soares gets back in the lineup. I would much rather him paired with Goncalves against LA than McCarthy.

7. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to win this game.

No draws. No moral victories. We will score more goals than they do on Sunday.

bwidell repped this.
  8. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What have you seen this season that would have you pick Soares over McCarthy?

Crooked and LongDuckDong repped this.
  9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a good crowd as well ... LA's been a good draw here for a while, even pre-Beckham.

10. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is the one thing that gives me encouragement. Keane and Magee have 11 goals between them, while with Gonzalez on the field, the Galaxy give up less than a goal a game.

I now think the Revs have an actual chance here.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positioning and instincts.

12. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where have you seen this this season? McCarthy has outperformed Soares this season.

13. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'd rather start:

Agudelo
    Sene-Rowe-Nguyen-Diego
    Simms
    Tierney-McC-Gonsalves-Farrell
    Shutoutworth

Even though Rowe playing 90 minutes last night, he scored two, assisted another, and hit the post, and has been playing well before that too. How can a midfielder score twice and be benched the next game.

huskydeac repped this.
  14. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    This is what I'd like to see, though possibly with Imbongo up top and Agudelo on the left.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems that these are the game the Revs always seem to tank. I don't think the Revs ever do well against teams that are short regular starters

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not a big McCarthy fan but I agree, Soares did not offer anything that McCarthy has not shown. Frankly I think they are a wash

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the Revs have been this capable since 2007, so maybe we'll be able to forget these bad performances of years past.

18. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The one other advantage Soares has over McCarthy is his clear superiority on offensive set pieces, despite being 4 inches shorter. It's a huge hole in McCarthy's game that hasn't been really improved since his signing.

That said, I'm a big believer in defensive chemistry, especially with CB pairings, so McCarthy should keep starting unless he has a meltdown of a game.

19. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I wish this to be true, and based on recent improvement I can envision this to be a possible outcome.

But there is also a part of me that acknowledges there is a very real possibility for a Revs letdown, relapse, etc. leading to a blowout (3-0, 4-1, or some such beatdown).

This could happen, because they do not seem to have yet burned-in the necessary collective "team mental toughness". Nor have they found enough on-field mental toughness leaders yet -- the players who stay steady and prop up others when things start to look like they are melting. Goncalves is clearly one of them, but they need one or two more.

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    And bad passes, hasty clearances and less ability to win high balls in the area.
    Imbongo left the game early last night injured, so if it was really necessary to sub him out I think it must be serious enough to keep him out for weekend (unless it was the flu or something!).
    Yes, but beating a dead horse like Toronto was also something they often failed to accomplish. And, winning a USOC game with a short roster was likewise something they failed at.

There are some real signs that they are getting mentally tougher (and more confident).

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCarthy is an experiment, a fill in at CB. That experiment largely failed in 2012. He's done ok this season mainly because of the calming influence of Goncalves. I'd much rather pair Soares (an actual CB) and Goncalves back there and call the experiment a success rather than continue until it fails miserably.

22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He's played CB for more than entire season now. It's not an experiment anymore, it's his position. A position that he's done well in this season, outperforming Soares.

bwidell and LongDuckDong repped this.
  23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great. He's outperformed Soares in your completely subjective opinion and Soares is obviously a better CB in my subjective opinion. Soares gives what, 6 inches? yet is better in the air than 6'6 McCarthy. To me, it's obvious. Then again, it really doesn't matter because neither of us have any input into who actually plays.

24. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Goncalves makes them both better then they were alongside one another. I prefer McCarthy, but I'd like to see Soares get a shot with the lineup we ran out against Houston or Toronto.

25. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You really think that Soares has played better than McCarthy at CB this season?

bwidell repped this.