Korean Youth Players Abroad Part II

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by jsk14, Sep 11, 2013.

1. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    FIFA statement:
    Not explain. Fix.

2. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i don't see how this is an issue for Korean kids (or the initial 6 kids). they were already "regularised" by being banned in 2013. it's the other 4 players who weren't "regularised" as they continued to be registered & played league games.

3. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The banning was a punishment. I dont think theyve been regularized as they're still in violation of the rules. It may be that FIFA seeing them doing what you talk about are elevating the ruling.

Anyway, we'll see what the legal process results in

4. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I understood FIFA's request to "regularize" meant being in compliance with Article 19, which means the kids' transfer (or signing) were illegal and that whatever official association between the two parties (via contracts, receiving training and even representing the club in "unofficial" tournaments unaffected by the Feb 2013 ban) are to cease. That would be my layman's understanding of FIFA's request. Otherwise, Article 19 would be fairly toothless.

5. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #580 takeuchi, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Not really as unofficial tournaments aren't under FIFA jurisdiction, nor whatever education the kids are receiving in La Masia. Again, they aren't toothless since it's difficult for kids to develop & it will be difficult for clubs to quantify or qualify the progress of each individual youth players without consistent games. FIFA isn't recognizing the transfer (to be exact, they can't be registered under FIFA), punished Barca for repeated offense, and nullified all player license who infringed on article 19 (not to mention, Barca complied to FIFA demands from the initial warning/request/investigation & regularised the players accordingly until further notice by removing them from league games).

http://www.totalbarca.com/2014/news/club-publish-a-history-of-communication-with-fifa/

Again, there are multiple examples of kids signing before 18 (or 16 for EU players) where all they do is train, attend schools and whatever with the new club. Kiu of UD Almeria is one example. Junior Flores of US (Dortmund youth player) signed before he was 18, did not join the team full-time but participated in training & unofficial games/friendlies during off-season.

edit: anyways, it's just my perspective/opinion.

Angel Bear repped this.
  6. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't think anyone is arguing that what Barcelona did is beyond what goes on everywhere. But it seems that its a new angle of FIFA trying to prevent it wholesale, and target #1 as an example of a) their power and b) taking down a respected youth program.

So yes, it goes on everywhere but the next step if/when FIFA wins this battle is to extend the threat of this to everyone.

I certainly see their point, especially with potential of a club going to a foreign country, wholesale taking up poor kids with far more deceptive practices, less supportive system of schooling, and signing away their lives to contracts that are more or less indentured slavery (I believe latin american baseball programs are run this way).

That said, it hasn't reached that point yet and its unclear to me if FIFA just wants to become the middle man with more power or just err on the side of excessive safety.

But picking international seems like a random and small point to tackle vs. the practice of signing youths to football-first programs in the first place.

Henke repped this.
  7. Kor_Ita_21

Kor_Ita_21 Member

Aug 17, 2004
    With this and the recent, effectively banning of A friendlies against non-UEFA opponents, anyone else sense a hint of euro-centralism having a factor? perhaps bias from the new head of UEFA and also by FIFA?

Definitely hurts non-UEFA athletes. I wonder how much LSW's development would have lagged had he had to develop his skills in Korea or somewhere else...

elejia repped this.
  8. Henke

Henke Member

Feb 25, 2008
    La Côte
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Exactly my thinking as well...Especially when you consider English clubs can poach at will, kids under 18 in leagues/countries where professional contracts to minors are prohibited...But since it's the English, free pass...Absolutely seems Eurocentric but it is Blatter & the corrupt FIFA that we're talking about as well

I'm curious what will happen to LSW et al because I increasingly feel the ban will be upheld (Although likely suspended long enough for Barcelona to conduct some transfers)

Any South Koreans to weigh in on how this fiasco is being treated in the media there?

9. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Trying to divine FIFA's behind-the-scenes intentions and machinations is like squeezing water from stone.

But if you go with the assumption that their intention behind this latest crackdown is mainly to protect the kids from powerful clubs, then one would think that their ultimate target has to be the clubs' contractual rights over the kids--which would remain intact if FIFA's sole punishment is preventing the clubs from playing the kids in FIFA-sanctioned matches (like league games). Yes, that restriction alone will stunt the clubs' ability to develop (and exploit) the kids--yet, in practice, FCB seems happy to live with such limitation when it comes to their most prized players.

I hope I'm wrong, and that the Koreans trio at FCB will continue to develop there. We will see how this all plays out.

10. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Which is why I think that they've somehow upped the severity of the punishment from the original FIFA match ban for the kids.

11. PacMan

PacMan Member

May 18, 2004
    Ok so i have not had time to read every comment but Barcelona is not the only club in this situation.
    There must be some political aspect in this. FIFA are being their usual c***s and trying to bully a G14 club.

12. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    #587 12th Player, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    I found this excellent article (from Emory International Law Journal) that gives a detailed history of the issue:

http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/journals/eilr/25/25.1/Lembo.pdf

Within in lies the answer to my previous query as to why Lee Kang In at Valencia is unaffected by the FIFA regulations: Lee was too young to fall under the regulations, which only cover minors from age 12 to 17, when he first went over to Valencia!

The article also reinforces my belief that the FIFA regulations are really to protect the minors (especially from Africa) from the business interests of the sports. It also makes it clear that every international transfer of minors has to be reviewed and approved by a FIFA subcommittee (even if the minor is "properly" registered with the national association that oversees the receiving club/academy) per their 2009 revision of Article 19--and this is where FCB seem to have failed to comply.

ETA: It also seems that FIFA may have limited enforcement powers over the situation (as takeuchi implied above), which may explain their use of the deliberately vague term "regularize" in their directive to FCB.

Angel Bear and PacMan repped this.
  13. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    FCB should draft a list of every single youth talent at every major European club's youth program in the same situation and forward it to FIFA. Enforce it with us, enforce it with them.

14. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think thats what FIFA wants, save them the hassle once they have a legal victory/precedent on their side.

15. bekele

bekele Member

Aug 23, 2009
    France
    Club:
    Daejeon Citizen
    #590 bekele, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Apparently Kim Jaeheon scored during the week for Portsmouth youth: http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/hardyman-proud-after-penalty-defeat-1461522.aspx

And Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's little brother is a teammate of his there. But I'm wondering if it's any good for him to play in the academy of a (possibly) soon-to-be Conference side.

Did some digging and the terms of his youth contract would end this summer as he's 18 this year, so he'll either have to sign a pro contract with Portsmouth or another team. I imagine this may pose a problem with work permit issues and the like, but I guess it's a good sign he's playing regularly for their youth setup right now.

Angel Bear and nmssis repped this.
  16. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    stuff the members are able to dig up here still amazes me....Great Find!

17. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  18. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I don't think that's necessarily the intent, but yeah, practically speaking, the FIFA rule serves to make career development for youth outside of the European Economic Zone more difficult (except South America, maybe). The reality is, the best place for young players to train and develop nowadays is Europe. But with the rule as written, it serves to raise the bar significantly for entry. Either the team has to play some semi-legal hijinks to hustle their players in, or the players has to immigrate, with a parent, into the country outright - a process that's expensive, difficult, and can take years.

And yet, the rule doesn't apply to transfers between European countries themselves ... perhaps FIFA is under the impression that child-trafficking never happens to white kids.

So, while I do understand that FIFA is trying to protect children from exploitation, the rule as written is short-sighted and rather Eurocentric in its focus.

And, of course, FIFA choosing to suddenly crack down on Barca now, just Barca, after years of ignoring the rule (really working to protect those kids, FIFA) - yeah, I doubt this has anything to do with protecting children.

19. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There may be EU laws that have precedence.

20. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    That's my understanding as well. There are EU labor laws that allow movement of workers among member nations that FIFA regulations have to a accommodate.

21. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    http://www.lawinsport.com/blog/john...elona-and-the-protection-of-minors#references

22. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  23. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    mom and dad
    [​IMG]

24. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Baek Seung Ho, who just turned 17, misses the cutoff for our AFC U-16 squad who's about to travel to France for a tournament and which hopefully will qualify for the U-17 WC. And the official match ban with FCB, the concern is that his development will stagnate.

Is there a better option for his development? Perhaps he will be better off returning to Korea and joining a K-League youth club?

25. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How would that help? He's playing non-FIFA tournaments with Barca like LSW & JGH. He will be 18 soon & he did play few games for UE Cornella on loan since Catalunya isn't part of FIFA.