Knight says he didn't earn pay, gives year's salary back (ESPN)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lucid, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0310/1521422.html

Props to Knight. In an age where crappy coaches are being paid enormous amounts of money by athletic departments who are "struggling", here comes Knight to do the right thing and... just give it all back.

Ricardo Patton has been robbing Colorado blind for the past 8 years. I'm thinking he owes CU about $3-$4 million about right now.

Now we just need to get professional athletes to adopt these kind of ethics and professionalism..... Nah, never happen.

2. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I was surprised to hear about this today. I must say that I am shocked that a person would actually do this. And I applaud him fully. If only there were more people that have power like Coach Knight and are willing to do what he did.

3. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I agree, that was a very nice gesture.

They guy on Angles on MSG said he believes there's some kind of story behind all of this...

4. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Bob Knight...............probably the only coach EVER to never cheat to win.

5. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Oh please, you guys fall for this?? How much is he making from summer camps, Nike (or Adidas or whatever), any other company that will provide the official ball, drink, ... of Texas Tech or Bob Knight or whatever.

6. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I know that he makes money from that. I am happy that he is not taking money from Texas Tech for his coaching job this year. Not his endorcements, camps, etc.

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    bob night = class act

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Ahem, Dean, ahem, Sm, ahem, ith.

9. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahem, he said *cough, cough* win, ahem :D

Bob Knight, regardless of how often he put his foot in his mouth or abuses his players, puts the same kind of pressure on himself to win. It doesn't surprise me that he did this because he is one of the few people who would hold himself to the same standard he holds his players to.

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahem, the *cough* last *achoo* time, I *hiccup*...okay, *gag* screw *fart* this...

Last time I looked, Dean Smith still had more wins than Knight, still had a virtually 100% graduation rate, still had the love and respect of ALL his players, still had more players in the pros, and did this all in a much more competitive conference.

Bobby has always been one of the best coaches in the business and had a huge amount of drive, but class personified? Newp.

11. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Even with those endorsement deals, I don't think Bob Knight is hurting for money at the moment...

Still I give him props.

12. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Bob Knight.

Brilliant Basketball Mind. Flawed Human Being.

End of Story.

13. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    With all that talent that Dean Smith has had over the years you would think that he would have more National Championships wouldn't he? Wouldn't he?

Did Dean Smith ever go undefeated in any season?

ACC TOUGHER CONFERENCE!?
    Give me a break. Until Maryland broke into the scene recently there have only been 2 good teams in the ACC. North Carolina and Duke. Yes.......the ACC has more championships, but that's because Duke and North Carolina have been so dominant. The Big Ten has had a more diverse group of competition for years.

Skipshady might be right.........Dean Smith probably never cheated, but Bob Knight almost for sure did not.

14. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Did you know that Dean Smith coached before Duke was any good?? Ever hear of South Carolina, NC State, Maryland (with Lefty)?? Those were some pretty good teams too. And in those days, not many people but John Wooden won the NCAA title.

Big 10, how many teams you got in that conference. :confused:

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Looks like Levante needs a history lesson. You know, there was a time when there was no such thing as an at-large bid.

Anyway, while I think Bobby Knight is a fine coach who means well most of the time, here is why I prefer Deano:
    - didn't bully his players, the University administration or Jeremy Schaap and other journalists.
    - admits when he's wrong
    - never hogged the spotlight.
    - didn't humiliate players or officials in public
    - graduates almost all his players (even players that leave early like Jordan and Carter)
    - as bungadiri mentioned, still has love and respect of all former players (he maintains contact with even the 12th man from 20 years ago)
    - doesn't get jealous of his former players and assistants (remember how Knight treated Coach K and Alford?)
    - when a player doesn't fit in the program, he eases them out and helps him find another program (contrast that with Knight's treatment of Funderburke)

I know I'm a little biased, and I know both Dean and Knight can win without cheating. But if I were a university president and I wanted a basketball program that wins without embarassing the school, I'd pick Dean any day. His basketball mind is highly underrated because of the players he has had, and he is, unlike Knight, class personified.

16. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    He also played a major role in promoting desegregation and easing its tensions at UNC by recruiting Charlie Scott in 1967 and being a strong pro-civil rights voice at the university from that day forward.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    As if on cue, Rick Reilly writes a nice little column about Deano's activism in this week's SI. You may not agree with the man's views, but I don't think you could possibly argue that he is not a class act.

18. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Skipshady and needs have done a better job than I would have.

19. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Who went to..........Purdue. :D

20. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    No.......overrated. His players made him. Dean Smith knows that and I agree with you he is a classy person that knew how to handle people.....he was great at it and I do admire the man, but you have swallowed the Media's pill Slimshady. :D

21. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, it looks like Coach Knight is earning his money again. Texas Tech knocks off #3 Texas in the Big 12 tourney.

22. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knight got the best players from his region for decades (he had less recruiting competition than Smith). While his tactics and strategies made him a good, even great coach and made his players a better team, his bullying made many of his players miserable, and hampered his recruiting later in his career. It also made Knight...a bully. His behavior with reporters in general was not only bullying, it was nonsensical, masturbatory and self-defeating. There are plenty of coaches out there who get just as much from their players without making them feel small or ashamed, there a plenty of successful coaches out there who can deal with the press as adults. Knight succeeded despite his lapses into tyrannical claptrap, not because of them.
    In post game press conferences, Dean Smith made sure the players got the attention. He constantly deflected questions about himself, gave credit to his players, and protected his players from criticism. Knight’s press conferences were all to frequently either about him getting his ya-yas in front of the camera or explaining how his players had failed him. Oh, and Michael Jordan earned that spotlight.
    Maybe, but not as well as Smith.
    No exceptions with Dean Smith.
    The altercation was public. Knight was miffed because Alford didn't kowtow to him. And where do you get off questioning ESPN and CNNSi as sources while at the same time you're tossing out some exculpatory (for Knight) and defamatory (for Alford) rumor you got off the Indiana basketball forum as fact?
    But the point is you never saw anything like this happen between Smith and any of his players, because 1) he wasn't into humiliating his players, so he didn't have guys wanting to leave, as Funderburke did and 2) even when he had players leaving early to the pros, Smith did what he could to help them find the best possible situation. 3) Funderburke did fine at Ohio State, and he did fine in the pros. Your suggestion that he was somehow unworthy of Knight's help is reflective of Knight's attitude and a good example of why I prefer Smith.
    I’m with Skip: anybody trying to start a college basketball program given the choice between a young Dean Smith and a young Bobby Knight would go with Smith. 2 great coaches, but Knight has baggage Dean doesn't. As for his basketball mind being "overrated," Bobby Knight himself said Dean's book "Multiple Offenses and Defenses" was the best book ever written about basketball.

23. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    and he still does...he is a role player with sacremento and when called upon he usually plays very well.

24. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's with Sacramento? I'd no idea. The fact that he's still the pros also indicates that he's not a head case, as all the rumors from Indiana (read: Bobby Knight) suggested.

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    To add to this, to call Dean Smith overrated because of the players he had is simply ridiculous - consider that he made 4 Final Four appearances in his last 7 years at Carolina - each time, he didn't have the most talented or deepest squad in the country.

And perhaps Dean just developed players to be better pros than other coaches? Even if he did get the best players, isn't it part of a coach's job to recognize and attract talented players?

Regardless, if you know anything about basketball, you'd know that Dean was one of the foremost innovators in the game.