Klinsmann should approach Donovan about U.S. captaincy role

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Nov 3, 2012.

1. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Wanted to add to my post about Herculez/Landon rift.

It was the 2005 season. Herc was named the team MVP that year. Was a breakout season for him. Landon missed a lot of time that season on national team duty. Only played in 22 games for the Galaxy. Herc (very narrowly) beat out Landon.

I remember Herc being very outspoken that year about he thought he deserved to be MVP because he was the leading scorer. He was asked multiple times that year about national team duty (he was eligible for both the US and Mexico). He seemed almost miffed that Bruce Arena hadn't called him up and said he'd strongly consider playing for whichever country called him first.

If there is any locker room tension with regards to Donovan, Herc the first guy I would look at.

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolivianfuego repped this.
  3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Eh, there have been great teams with goalies as their captain. Italy with Zoff for one example, Kahn was a captain for Bayern and Germany, Casillas, Yashin, Shilton. Several others have captained at club and international level. I'm always a bit skeptical that refs appreciate players jawing at them all game long, captain of not or if that really helps the team. Sometimes a goalkeeper is best.

I guess I just figure the captain most importantly has to be an all the tiem guy and I'm not entirely convinced Boca will be through Brazil. Donovan and Dempsey are sure things when healthy, bu tI honestly don't see Dempsey as a captain and I disagree with the premise of rewarding Donovan for not being sure about his commitment by making him captain. Really, Bradley and Howard are about the only other reasonable choices and I just think Bradley needs a bit more experience before he gets it. So, Howard for now by default almost. I would hedge on Dolo as I think there's a solid chance of his lasting through Brazil, but I'm not sure I'd place faith in it.

But truth be told I think some people over-emphasize the role of captain anyway.

4. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    What the team needs is an enforcer !!!!!! :)

soccersubjectively repped this.