Klinsmann should approach Donovan about U.S. captaincy role

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who? I don't see any young player coming up who is even half the player of LD. That's the problem.

russ, Berks, Marko72 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Maybe so but he may know something we don't. The pressure may have finally got to him. Somebody will step up.

3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. If only the US had players coming up anywhere near the promise of being as impactful as Donovan.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im not sure captaincy should be for Donovan, considering what he's said in the press regarding his future in the sport. He seems like he's burning out, or needs an extended break or soemthing [rightfully so].

He's not sure wether he wants to play on, at leasts thats the tone i get from him. Donovan has done his part in Us soccer, so might as well start making plans for life after him, even though he has at least 3 more years at this level [fitness permitting].

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    When Bradley became coach of the usmnt he was supposed to be "interim".
    Carlos played for Bradley in Chicago.
    Bradley appointed Carlos as captain.
    Do the math.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's true, and players do feel that way about LD, imagine what the opinion in the locker room is on Chandler.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an aside, the challenge LD wants and will try to force is moving to Everton full time. He's tired of MLS.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Between Chicago, Metrostars, and Chivas USA, Bradley had previously coached a healthy chunk of the player pool. Honestly I think Carlos has been a good choice. My only objection is that I don't want to have to keep playing him because he's the captain, and I do believe that he is in a bit of a battle for his position from here on out where the onus will continually be on him to prove his worth.

Alex_1 and Ghosting repped this.
  9. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Well that explains the move(s) from 'Gladbach then. :sneaky:

10. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Not questioning the job Carlos has done, I'm merely indicating that the "room" division started at that time. Bob alienated some of the team with his preferences. I realize this happens frequently, in all sports, but I believe that soccer has a more fragile psychy than other sports.
    Jurgen inherited that "room" and seems as if he's on the right track it righting the ship.
    Hopefully it sorts itself out before the hex or we're in dire trouble.

11. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Yeah that would be great. Slagging on Chandler in the locker room when Danny, Jermaine, Fabian and Clarence Boyd are within earshot.

12. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    I wonder which players feel about Donovan like that. Don't think it would be Boca, Howard, Dolo or anybody else who is playing with Landon in MLS or on national team for many years. So it's quite possible that those who feel that way about Donovan would find plenty of excuses for Chandler.

13. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I would think Landon would be he last person to be consider for as captain in light of him being unsure about his commitment to playing. The captain needs to be someone 100% focused on the team, have the total respect of his teams etc.. Howard, Dempsey and Bradley all seem more logical options imo. If Landon hadn't been vocal about being potentially uncommitted then I would have no problem with him

14. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I don't know if I could disagree more with that article. Donovan for US captain? maybe earlier in Bob Bradley's tenure, but not now. As an outsider I think Donovan is a great leader for US soccer and has done more for the program than can be mentioned at once. But at this point in time, it probably isn't a good idea. He's made the comments a few times that his 'heart may not be in it' and that he's '50-50' to be on the WC team whether it by by deserving it or WANTING to commit to it. This is who you want to lead your team and program? I don't think so. Sometimes it isn't just about the talent of the one player that is captain IMO, but also the commitment, approachability and voice that they have to offer, as well as having the ability to rally up the players and unify the side.

Right now, it seems more like Donovan is one of the players that needs the support of his captain and teammates IMO. He's the one who needs someone to motivate him and convince him to join the program and be a part of it... I don't see him as being the player to do this for other players right now.

I thought this a while ago, but in some ways I thought the next good captain for the US would actually be Michael Bradley. As long as his temperament is under control (and he hasnt' gotten the same silly fouls late in the game as he used to in his earlier times with the US side), I can see him at least getting a shot at it. Bigger too, he comes across as the type of player who would be more than vocal when it comes to sticking up for his teammates and not backing down from anyone. He's the kind of player that, at least to me, you want to have playing beside you & on your team. On top of that, you know Bradley is commited to this world cup, and most likely will be for the push in 2018 too - he's younger.

But again, that is just my opinion as someone on the outside looking in. Donovan as captain, I don't see it.

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Howard or Bradley, yes. (Bradley I think might be our next captain, almost certainly by the beginning of the next cycle.) Dempsey... no.

16. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Bradley was an 'interim' manager at the time and was effectively trying to coach his way into a full-time job. I really dislike the way the USSF handled the whole situation but that's neither here nor there. Has nothing to do with pay, etc. but I think he was in a more difficult position than say a Bruce Arena or even a Klinsmann right now as he was wading through some murky political waters too. Also, remember that a lot of this was on the heels of what was deemed a 'disappointing' world cup in 2006, in which Donovan didn't perform well.

I don't agree about soccer players having a more fragile psyche than other athletes either. He may get schtick but you have to be damn tough to make it as far as a person like Donovan has, let alone someone like an Ibrahimovic, Beckham, Messi, Kaka, Ronaldo, etc. There's incredible competition and pressure. I honestly think, and it's solely my opinion, that a part of this isn't about football at all. I think this is a guy that is hitting 30 and is wondering about his life and trying to figure out what he wants. For example, I think his divorce took a lot out of him and perhaps now he's thinking about things he wants personally off the field that maybe he doesn't have. Kids, etc... People are wired differently & it sinks in differently to them.

So I don't think this article is really accurate. Donovan's appreciated, I think he knows (or at least I would hope...) of his importance to your program. But I think he's in a phase of his life where he isn't sure what he wants to do and it's being amplified because he is 30 and perhaps sees that he won't be able to perform at this high a level for a lot longer. Is there time to fix regret, to do something else, to find what he wants, etc. To his credit, he's mature & honest enough with himself to know he needs time to sort it out for himself.

StillKickin repped this.
  17. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'd personally like to see the band given to Howard through Brazil and then let Bradley have it for a good, long time.

18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. I think it's no coincidence that this talk is coming out immediately after his sister just had a baby.

19. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

I'll say this. When Herc and Landon were on the Galaxy together, there was definitely some resentment from Herc towards Landon. Herc was having a breakout season and definitely felt that he shouldn't have been stuck in Landon's shadow. There were a lot of "read between the lines" type comments from Herc during those couple of seasons.

That is pretty much the ONLY player I can think of that has had any sort of long term beef with Landon. And for all I know, that was all squashed a long time ago.

20. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    First off, Donovan doesn't need a challenge. He's accomplished enough in his career already. Just because the fans want him scoring the game winning goal for Barcelona in the Champions League final doesn't mean that he'll be empty inside if he doesn't accomplish that.

Second. He doesn't want to go on loan to Everton or Europe or anywhere else this offseason. He specifically said that.

Third. If he did want to go on loan somewhere, he sure as shit wouldn't need Jurgen's or anybody else's help to secure a move.

Berks repped this.
  21. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I understand what you are saying, but I've never been a fan of giving the armband to a goalie. You're captain is the guy that can talk with ref and have a dialogue. Its hard to accomplish that when the ref never gets with 20 yards of you all game long.

Berks repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wynalda: You despise me, don't you?
    Donovan: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

The standards impossed upon Donovan by the fans and the media are impossible. He has to provide a couple of assists and score a goal to be considered "decent."

Not even Messi or Ronaldo are demanded as much when playing for their NTs.

Berks and StillKickin repped this.
  23. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I really don't think the locker room was very splintered under Bob. Jurgen inherited a team that was in a bit of a transition phase. Bob had already started to try and incorporate guys like Shea, Gonzalez, Cameron, etc.

But to say that Jurgen inherited a splintered locker room just isn't true.

Early on, I think there were some players who got phased out that felt slighted by Bob. Jimmy Conrad being one of the more outspoken ones that come to mind.

But really, the only guys who had any animosity towards Bob or the other players in the locker room were the guys not good enough to be there in the first place.

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Is Clarence Boyd the love child of Clarence Goodson and Terrance Boyd? That would be one weird looking dude.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would be a slow, but fast forward who would let goals in and would not be able to score them.

GVPATS77 repped this.