Review: Klinsmann,not enough young Americans are getting playing time in MLS..

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That was my first reaction. You can't have it both ways. Shouldn't we be happy that young Americans now have to earn time in MLS like they do in Europe?

It would be an indictment on MLS if these players were given playing time based on some criteria or the fact that the players they play over aren't very good. Like what would happen in the inferior NASL and USL.

If Klinsmann is talking about MLS needing to fund more teams and basically taking over D2/D3/D4 with clubs to develop players, than that is great. But how is that financially possible at this point? We just brought back the reserve squads last year. It is easy to spend someone else's money when you don't have the answers that work for everyone.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think the Salgado situation in Vancouver is a prime example of our problem. As described by Ives:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/04/what-should-vancouver-do-with-salgado.html#more

Sources told Fox Soccer that Vancouver has turned away multiple trade offers within MLS while also turning down a loan opportunity in Europe for Salgado, whose Spanish passport makes him more attractive to clubs overseas. Sources also said that the Whitecaps have turned down potential loan moves to NASL clubs. As a result, Salgado is one of a number of U.S. youth internationals left in club purgatory, a topic that U.S. national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann touched on during his talk with the media on Wednesday.

The way Vancouver is handling Salgado makes no sense whatsover. Granted, they're not an American club........so probably don't give a rat's ass about developing American youngsters. But Salgado does still have value. If they don't plan on using him, they should either:

A) Trade him within MLS or sell him abroad.
    B) Loan him somewhere for playing time. Hopefully he'll then develop into a player for their first team.

Instead, they're just doing nothing.

3. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm curious to know why is Vancouver treating Salgado this way

4. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If this is really the issue, would Klinsmann criticize a European team for doing something similar or does he believe that criticizing MLS doesn't get him in as much trouble than criticizing foriegn clubs?

I still remember how Eddie Lewis got jerked around at Fulham by Tigana. At least Arena eventually called Tigana "a first-class jerk" when Lewis wasn't released for the US World Cup camp in 2002 despite the fact that Tigana never played Lewis.

5. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bang Bang Maxwell's silver hammer came down on bored bobby's head...do do do da da

6. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    loaning salgado to the spanish 3rd division or whatever would be cool.

7. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Salgado criticized for his work ethic last year? Vancouver may be taking a long term approach to this...the kid is only 18 and they may be waiting for something to finally light a fire under his ass and prove that he should be getting playing time.

Similar to Agudelo in some ways. For all of the hype placed on him, I can't say that he's ever really looked "deserving" of a spot on the field, be it at the club or national level. Coaches can't afford to throw a player on the field in the hopes that he lives up to the hype if there's a better option available (in the coach's opinion.)

9. CakeYear

CakeYear Member

none
    Jun 22, 2007
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What will be the next excuse.. "MLS needs to play all its matches in Europe"

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah.............but Agudelo was 3rd on the depth chart & getting playing time.

Salgado is so far down on the depth chart for the Caps that he has virtually no chance of playing time. Why turn down a loan opportunity to Europe for him?

11. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when Freddy Adu was a rookie there was pretty much an unspoken mandate that he had to play because he was generating all sorts of publicity for the league - so Nowak had to trot him out everywhere even when I'm sure he would have preferred a more polished player.

Back then people heavily criticized the way Adu's development was handled and one of the arguments frequently lobbed at his development was that he was complacent in MLS, he never had to fight for his place like he would have at a European club and that sort of thing.

Omar Salgado, the guy most people have been talking about in this thread, was not even close to being in the US Olympic selection - so I'm not even sure what he has to do with Klinnsman's baseless scapegoating.

MLS already has incentives for teams playing young American talent, and that is the Generation Adidas players are cap exempt. What coach/TD wouldn't want a productive good GA player so they could spend the cap money on other positions?

12. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There could be several reasons.
    Perhaps the loan offer included a purchase clause that the Caps weren't satisfied with. Perhaps they want him to stick around and learn their system. I honestly don't know...but I'm willing to bet that the franchise isn't run by complete fools that are holding onto him out of spite. My guess is that a. their valuation of him hasn't been met, and b. they believe he can make them more money/a better team further down the line.