Klinsmann: Jozy at no risk of missing USMNT's roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, Apr 18, 2014.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    It hasn't worked out (yet) as JK apparently has intended. But nothing has "backfired" yet.

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't want Shea going to Stoke. That was Shea's decision. Do I need to give examples of players who went abroad and failed prior to JK taking over. You act like attempting to jump up levels and not succeeding is something new. Shea spoke about wanting to go to Europe prior to JK saying anything publicly. Same as Agudelo. Do you think Juan wanting to go to Europe had anything to do with JK?

What has backfired?

3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, it's a metaphor. It's not meant to be taken literally, and it's saying in effect that I think that you're consistently biased against JK, so much so that you'd minimize the things that he's actually done. If you don't have to give an example of how JK "[Will] sell you bull shit and you'll think you're buying Nutella.", I sure as heck don't need to look through hundreds of posts to find specific examples of you criticizing JK unfairly, especially because, by its very nature, even if I did point out something that JK did that you've criticized, obviously you don't actually think that whatever JK did is actually 'gold' (aka good/representative of JK's skills as a coach) so to speak.

I did, however, go through a couple of pages of your posts, and I at least found you somewhat contradicting yourself on this thread.
    From the 23 tickets to Brazil thread:
    And yet, in this thread, you claim that both Torres and Castillo are evidence of poor player management? What? Either he plays them, in which case they're not worth it, egro JK blows. Or, he doesn't play them, in which case he's managed them poorly because they either aren't good (in which case JK's prodding has been ineffective and he sucks), or they're actually good in your opinion and they haven't been given a chance, and, once again, JK blows. You've got to play someone before you can find out if they're decent on the international stage, and the possibility that a player is not particularly good is not somehow the manager's fault.

Statman repped this.
  4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if you know this, but JK can't actually force clubs to buy our players. So, let me get this convoluted reasoning straight. Players that are pushed to go to tougher leagues and fail are now JK's fault because he pushed them? And when people like Bradley/CD go back to MLS, it's evidence of poor player management again because he couldn't get them to stay at their higher-level clubs? I'm confused. I feel like there's nothing wrong with telling players to up their competition, but at the same time recognizing when playing time is better, and that good form in a lower-level league is better than horrible form in a higher league.

5. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    The poor player management in case of Torres and Castillo:
    Klinsmann claims they're world class - especially Torres - yet he has never gotten them to perform at the level he thinks they can reach. So he must not be managing them very well.

I, on the other hand, believe both players - and especially Crapstillo - are not good enough to be on the national team, let alone good enough to be getting PT.
    To me it sends out the wrong message to the rest of the player pool: no matter how well you do, it will not mean you will be getting a chance with the NT.
    Unless of course you're a Germerican, or during the first 1 or 2 years of JK's tenure unless you're a Meximerican.
    That is bad player management.

6. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Well I don't know if you know this, but most of the players in the player pool call JK before they make a move, to ask for his opinion.

When players like MB and CD move back to MLS it's prove that the players have stopped listening to JK's "always push for the highest" mantra.

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't. Any evidence of that happening?

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Unlike the other ones, this is largely unfair; that is, as long as Chandler remains out of the picture until after the tournament.

9. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Why is it so hard to say Jozy hasn't been playing well? So many are such Jozy homers. Yes, his team is not very good. But Jozy hasn't been good either. When your team sucks, you HAVE to at least run out grounders.

Without giving [r], I can think of a real recent example of him having an opportunity to make a big play by capitalizing on an opponent's mistake. Any smaller level mistake from the opponent, and he would have missed the opportunity because he was in jog mode.

Now, jk has probably done the right thing here. Everything is contingent without saying so, and his guy needs some confidence. So I have no problem with jk here.

But there's more going on with jozy's slump than the Sunderland midfield.

10. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Did he turn down call-ups after Honduras? My impression is that they were all before Honduras. I remember an article, si.com I think?, where he admits to waiting for and wanting a call but having not received one since that game. To be fair to Klinsmann I think this is at least partly down to the numerous injuries he has suffered of late.

11. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    I don't remember him claiming they were world class, but I think early in his tenure he was following through on the mantra he pushed during telecasts of the 2010 WC about the U.S. severely overlooking Hispanic talent. Orozco and Torres were given every opportunity to establish themselves and for the most part played themselves off the team. Castillo is still somehow in the mix- probably because he hasn't featured quite as much- despite being the biggest liability of the bunch. Corona's club inconsistency seems to have derailed his NT opportunities.

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

From everything I've seen, the opposite is true. Only one I've seen who actually asked for JK's advice is Clint when JK took over as manager, and Clint asked him can you help me get to a UCL club. Of course, you'd likely say Clint couldn't have possibly wanted to play UCL because of his own aspirations but rather it was JK mind games which caused Clint to want to play at Pool or Spurs.

I generally respect you as a poster but in this thread you're throwing around a bunch of assumptions and hyperbole. An obvious example is you claiming JK said Castillo and Torres were world class, especially Torres. Please don't tell me you typed that with a straight face.

Statman repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ok, I'll bite: how, exactly?

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ok, I'll bite: how, exactly?

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ok, but then does that + his management skillz in regard the other Ger-mericans he brought on board?

Should we do a +/-?

And I'm not even sure I disagree with you, I just wondered where you thought his management skills had let the team down.

So, Jurgen not being able to get Chandler on board quicker. I'll give you that one.

Any others?

16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey and Omar Gonzalez have all mentioned speaking to Jurgen Klinsmann. Take that however you want, but they have mentioned it.

17. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    I think Altidore will still the best striker in 2018. We have nobody else in the picture who is going to be a better #9 type.

18. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Jozy drew a penalty to allow the Black Cats huge upset over Chelsea. I hope this ramps up some confidence.

Berks repped this.
  19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torres is fair game. Castillo was tried at LB, didn't work not really blaming him for that one.

JK thought Torres was a wide player, then played him at LB one game. We also saw Danny Williams at RM, Torres tucked in slightly on the left. Some really crazy decisions in 2012. I don't think either are going to the World Cup.

20. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put LD at LM and move FJ back to LB. Also Zuzi for Bedoya and I couldn't complain.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    "Professor Klinsmann, I'm not part of your spine, but at least, am I part of your inner circle?"
    "Ah my good boy, I see promise in you. Just keep doing what is expected from you, and we shall see. Yes, we shall see."

JK is the Horace Slughorn of coaching.

Maitreya repped this.
  22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Thing is, people have been trying to predict these sorts of things for many cycles with little success because it is just so unpredictable. Especially with our youth programs constantly getting better, there are a ton of kids in the pipeline and currently in academies all over the place if not in first teams/reserves.

23. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree--Jozy came off the bench and played a big game. Hey may not be 90 minutes game sharp, but off the bench, he was working the Chelsea backline just fine.

Yes I am basing this off of one match, but it does seem that Altidore can at least perform and when given confidence, can get his old touch back.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He played smart, keeping the ball, falling to ground, becoming an obstacle to the Chelsea defenders, bugging the heck out of Schwarzer, whining in the ear of the Chelsea players, kicking the ball far before FKs, putting himself right in the way every time. A performance worthy of Materazzi, and you can bet the Chelsea players were feeling like head-butting him.

25. Ace08

Ace08 Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I like Bedoya...but I don't think he'll start over Zusi.

The only question mark in the starting 11 at this point revolves around Fabian. Depending on where JK ends up playing him will impact a handful of guy's playing time.

I'm gonna keep saying it...I wouldn't be surprised at all if Fabian ends up being the right back when the bullets start flying for real in a couple months.