Klinsmann: Jozy at no risk of missing USMNT's roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, Apr 18, 2014.

1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I know this seems obvious and I likely don't even need to post this, but some of the crazy talk over the last couple weeks makes this thread feel necessary, so I thought I'd share:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2...-struggling-jozy-altidore-no-risk-missing-usm

I bolded the above passage because to me, this screams that he will be starting in Brazil.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Practical and good managing there, as is required.

3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good.

As a former world class striker, Jurgen better than most understands how much Sunderland's crap mid field and poor system can effect a striker. Some blame goes to Jozy but being poor with a crap Sunderland mid field doesn't equate to being poor with a superior NT mid field.

4. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. Obviously it isn't great that Jozy isn't playing for Sunderland, but it's not like he's going to come in cold for the World Cup. He has 3 friendlies to get in good form. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never a question, it was just a question of whether he'd start. And that quote makes it seem like he'll be starting against Azerbaijan in San Fran.

6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Boy, the comments section make our board look like the most measured group of people ever assembled.

It's like a sports-talk radio transcription

Also, it's good that JK has evolved from the "everyone who isn't playing Champions League is bad and they should feel bad" thing he had going in 2012; Jozy needs support right now, not more misplaced "tough love" or whatever.

7. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd want to hear Klinsmann's theory on why Altidore isn't scoring.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    His theory probably involves watching about 25 minutes of tape on Sunderland, and realizing that that team was the absolute worst spot for Jozy to go to.

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The difference isn't the person, most likely, it is the year. In 2012 it made sense to prod every player to the best club level they could achieve because, given a couple of years, it might make you a better player. Also, for Klinsmann's own purposes, it might reveal something about the playing ability of a guy to play at that level, where previously it might have been ambiguous.

In spring 2014, Klinsmann knows what he's got and what he doesn't have, and in the shorter run, confidence is the bigger issue. My guess is, had Jozy found his way to MLS this year, he'd have been none too upset. Very different from 2012 on that score.

TomEaton, russ, orcrist and 8 others repped this.
  10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    No, I agree with you; I'm just happy he's noting that difference and understanding that Jozy needs confidence, not additional kicks-in-the-rear 6 weeks out from Brazil.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    JK has said all kinds of things with respect to various players importance. Torres was the man; the '10'. Donovan was the man; the '10'. Boca was lock captain.

12. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    More importantly, he'll be well rested.

futbal4eva repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I love hearing comments like this from Klinsmann. I get the sense that if asked Klinsmann wouldn't hesitate to tell the truth about Sunderland like we've been saying on here since Altidore moved to Sunderland.

Hate to hear managers that need to please everyone. Klinsmann knows Sunderland sucks and once Altidore gets into camp with the USMNT, he will be a different player.

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Jurgen's player management skills are underrated. Everyone always blows what he says way out of proportion and cries about him being unfair. He handles different guys in different manners and pushes/prods them at different times depending on different situations. I have absolutely no problems with that.

Some of the best coaches/managers lead in that manner. Not everyone is created equal, thinks the same and reacts the same way to different situations.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    FYP.

16. JDeuce23

JDeuce23 Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not terribly worried about Jozy, or the team in general right now. "Form" can change on a moment's notice. If I remember correctly, the USMNT looked sharp and prepared in their final friendlies heading into 2006 before flopping in the WC just days later. Then we looked poor and disinterested before 2010 and ended up making a decent run. Whatever form we see from Jozy and the team today will be long forgotten come June. How does JK ensure we hit top form when the tournament kicks off? I guess that's why he's paid as well as he is. Maybe it would help to schedule one more friendly against a Tahiti type minnow where Jozy could at least rediscover his scoring touch? Seeing the ball go into the net off your own boot helps resurrect a striker's confidence...even if it comes against a scrub.

Besides, it's not as if everyone else on Sunderland is firing in goals left and right while Jozy is missing sitters. The two goals they (miraculously) scored against Man City this week was the first time they scored more than one in any match since February 1st. Their side as a whole just flat out sucks when compared to the rest of the PL. Even if you stick Luis Suarez into Sunderland's lineup tomorrow, the team wouldn't suddenly go on some insane scoring rampage. I think it'll actually be good for Jozy to gain the experience of the tense, dogfight atmosphere of relegation games...a number of knockout stage WC matches end up playing out the same way.

17. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This x1000.

JK knows what he has, just like how he wouldn´t think twice about starting Dempsey and Bradley even though they went back in level by playing in the MLS.

Jozy's issue in the past was hunger on the field. Since coming back to the USMNT fold under JK, he knows what he can bring and his committment.
    I don't thnk any of that has changed since he's won over JK.

18. EpiQuakes

EpiQuakes Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Jurgen Klinsman was on the fence about using Jozy this world cup this is exactly what he would say. As usual, everyone is taking what he says much to seriously. His job is to make everyone that has a chance at being in the top 18 or so that will actually see some field time feel absolutely like there are no doubts about whether they will be playing as long as they are doing everything they are able to do given their circumstances. Jozy is doing that, Landon is not...Does that mean that Jozy is going to be in the 23, let alone the starting 11...I don't think so nearly as much as everyone else posting here. I think there is probably serious consideration about going to a 4-4-2 without Jozy but it would show serious lack of managerial prowess to do so. You don't tell a guy he is getting fired...you just fire him if/when it comes time to do so. Likewise, you don't tell a player he may be riding pine or not riding at all...you just tell him once the decision has been made. We all hope Jozy gets out of his scoreless slump but if he has an average game against Azerbajan or whatever and Wondo or someone else has a good game starting up top with Dempsey in New York my guess is Jozy is not starting in the first match in Brazil.

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both Jozy and Wondo play better in a 4-4-2. Just saying.

20. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...duh...

21. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Dempsey is better as the supporting striker like against Mexico. And Johannsson isn't a target striker. Safe to say all our forwards play better in a 4-4-2.

22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah very true.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So if he sticks to the spine, we got something along the lines of:

-----------------------Howard----------------------------
    Cameron------Gonzo-------Besler----------Beasley
    ------------------Jones--------Bradley------------------
    Bedoya-------------Dempsey-----------------Fabian
    -----------------------Altidore----------------------------

With Donovan, Zusi, AJ & Parkhurst as the main bench options.

24. EpiQuakes

EpiQuakes Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but Jozy typically can play with more space between himself and a more withdrawn forward because of his hold up play, whereas other forwards are more likely to play a bit closer together and with a bit less space between the two of them and the midfield with more quick passes and lateral movement and interchanging with one another. Jozy just doesnt have as much stamina/gas to run on but is more bulky and powerful so can fend opponents off the ball more...a bit differentt of a 442 than if he is not in there.

25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't have to follow a "we're all the same" mentality to coach differently than Jurgen does. For instance, I love what Martinez has done at Everton - very much still a team climate, yet they are getting results and the players love him.

I personally hate the way Jurgen leads, do have problems with it, and prefer Martinez's player management style. But I still respect JK's results and smarts and clearly want us to win as much as possible under his leadership. I do wonder what it will do to our team culture long term.

TomEaton repped this.