Klinsmann Interviews Dec 2012

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SamsArmySam, Dec 11, 2012.

1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very well-said, Wesley.

2. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A head coach's first job is to coach, not play press secretary. Bob communicated with the players in the locker room and during training, there's no doubt about it. Now with the press he was more to himself and liked to keep things on the down low. They both have different personalities. You win and PR takes care of itself. If Bob wasn't from within USSF or the 'American system' so to speak, he would have been liked more. Klinsmann has his (great) playing history and is more open to the press with his thoughts, be it bullshit or not, Klinsmann loves to to talk about the team and the sport in the US and some people like that, it's understandable.

Klinsmann might appeal to those who think the American system needs a shake up and a 'revolution.' He promises and IMO hasn't and CANNOT deliver a style that is possession, free-flowing fantasy type soccer. Whenever it get's tough the US goes back to what works, counter attacks and set pieces. That really isn't a knock on him, because the players have limitations. The real change will come down the line, and is not there at the moment. Let me just say this... I think he knows the limitations of the talent pool, he isn't dumb but what he says and what he does is totally different. I will save the rest, it's more for the Klinsmann coaching thread.

sXeWesley and Dignan repped this.
  3. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Manasquan, NJ on the beautiful Jersey Shore.
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cover Joe Girardi in my day job. A lot of my colleagues get frustrated with his non-answers and how he will never criticize a player publicly. I understand him.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is more obnoxious than journalists who whine about players or managers not talking to them and then seeing them using quotes from players or managers to blast them in another column.

Klinsmann is a smart guy. He realizes that a good number of reporters just need to file a certain word length with their editor and fill it with meaningless quotes from a player/manager. Klinsmann gladly gives them pages and pages of material to copy and paste into their articles, even if most of it is completely random stuff. Bradley never seemed to bother with the niceties of pleasing the press, who really are quite irrelevant in terms of on field results. Of course Bradley gets skewered for that by the press (surprise surprise) and the repeated criticisms eventually get taken up by fans.

It happens in every sport in this country. It's a strong reason why I think European clubs have it right to exclude the media from their dressing rooms. It's also a reason why the number of journalists I consider reputable and that I respect is small.

5. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Jones inclusion makes so much more sense after reading that article. Its the type of things good coaches realize- on paper is one thing/ in real life another. Its those chemistry and attitude things that can be difficult to see from afar.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  6. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I liked about Bob and for the most part Bruce. They kept things quiet, never threw a player under the bus, and communicated well with their players. IF there were issues, it was dealt with internally.

I think that is good coaching, especially at the highest level.

7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying that Jurgen has thrown a player under the bus and doesn't communicate well with his players?

8. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he threw Jozy under the bus.

I think he says a lot of stuff that isn't necessarily true and has the possibility to confuse his players.

We still need to confirm the rumor picked up here, where JK said he was in contact with Lichaj, and then Eric said he had never heard from JK.

This is of course my opinion, and what I can tell from what I see and hear. So it may not be the case.

It is of course very much the difference between professional European coaching and sporting environment and the American coaching and team mentality. There is a cultural divide. Neither is necessarily correct. On one hand, approaching American players, it might be better to go with a US coaching mentality, although, on the other hand, JK's European mentality might push the American players to better things. Time will tell

9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    altidore apparently did something during one of the camps, and needed a kick in the butt. Telling the media what he did would have been throwing him under the bus.

sXeWesley and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently none of you have ever seen bill parcells or sir alex ferguson or jose mourinho...constantly throw players under the bus.

11. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He deserved to be dropped and reprimanded. I think it was good for Jozy.

I just think its bad form for a coach to publicly criticize a player.

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great coaches do that all the time. (certain ones...sir alex ferguson comes to mind)

13. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is treating Prima Donas with kid-gloves considered good coaching?? Why is keeping a disruptive player on a team good coaching?? Do people actually think just a tad beyond the end of their noses??
    BB was a different type of coach and we complained about his stoicism, Arena was what? terrible in his favoritism but he certainly aired his laundry when he was canned?? Every one of us is an individual and handles our job differently. Personally I have no issues with any of them. I happen to like transparency and an upbeat personality. I like the fact that open-ness is there. Altidore needed a kick in the butt. His feeling of entitlement needed to be smacked down and his subsequent behaviour is in my opinion a disgrace as to professional behavior. There is a bigger picture in the back of JK's talkings and we as a people tend to think instant gratification and if that does not happen we spin and twist his words into unbelievable tangents... Nice to have fun

14. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can twist it anyway you want but he bottom line is hat Altidore is in my opinion way over rated as he great American hope when at best I see him as a technically inept player with marginal positioning sense and an absolute horrid work ethic on the NATS. He believes in his own perfection and has NOT improved beyond his teen abilities and that is the intrinsic issue when one believes one's own accolades. For nearly two years he has been a hindrance on the team, not an asset. Jus review the tapes and show me where he actually contributed positively, you can count it on your fingers. Then count the number of times he flubbed a reception or lost a ball and then threw up his hands or flopped on the ground when he lost or missed a ball???? How do you define Evidence, were you in the locker room, were you on the field?? How do you feel hat your interpretation of how Klinsi handled it is absolutely the right one. In my opinion JK had every right to toss Altidore a very serious wake up and smell the roses reminder and a grown ass coach has every right to tell a player what needs to be said and let me remind that players do not run the team......the coach does. If you feel he coach is wrong as a player, then refuse a call-up, instead of creating unrest on the practice field or the locker-room. You of course have every right to your opinion and in this case mine is diametrically opposed but it is still my opinion.....so let's agree to disagree. I see no constructive dialog coming forth since both our minds are made up. Have fun....

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Isn't modern day America great.

Here's my rant. I ain't changin my mind no matter what.

Screw it. Let's not even try and let it fall apart because I know I'm right, and it will only be your fault no matter what tragedy should occur.....my hands are clean.

Congress mirrors the country and it is an ugly picture to say the least.

I actually see merits, and negatives in both of the previous posts on Jozy.

IOW's, I have no place in US society anymore.

Marko72 and Dignan repped this.
  16. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what happened there? I probably agree with much of what the dude says.

I blame the interwebs and Taco Bell.

17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Leave Taco Bell out of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^Yeah!

Master O repped this.
  19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yo quiero Taco Bell, tu? Is this a Mixx thread?

I wanted to comment on the discussion about coaching philosophy as it relates to Jozy.

Are coaches judged on results? If so then his handling of JA is looking like it will be a resounding success. I suggest you go back and watch the Russia Game. Late in the game Jozy tracks a Russian twenty yards back in our own half and wins a ball. I was like who in the hell is that and what did the aliens do with Jozy?

Can you imagine Jozy putting forth Herc's effort? It appears he has gotten the message if he wants his spot with the nats we will all see it!!

20. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think JK did a good job here in general, and I think his overall positive approach to grooming players is going to help a guy like Jozy.

sXeWesley repped this.