Klinsmann interview

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Real Corona, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm how often did AZ play teams with twice their budget?

2. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People will bash him no matter what.

Im fine with him. hes not going to be perfect but he is the right guy for now.

I think Kreis is our future coach in 2018 or 2022.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  3. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont really see how jurgen is incompetent because jozy didnt create enough on his own in the jamaica match.

Which was a true statement. he didnt. he cant do it all he does need better service which Jurgen acknowledged he needs but he also demanded more from jozy. is that so wrong?

have others found this statement to be false?

4. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jozy wants to be successful in international games he needs to bring it and if no services are coming you need to take it upon yourself and take people on the little times that you manage to get a hold of the ball. When a 28-29 year old (gomez)is out working you and a new comer (boyd) has more fire than you on the field there is a problem and if nobody sees it then I don't know what you tell you. He can score 50 goals in his poor defensive league, it just doesn't mean jack because at the end of the day there is two different teams and two different speeds whether you are playing Jamaica or El Salvador. His problem is that bob would bring him in no matter how bad he was doing with his club so he got a sense of entitlement. I'll give him that he is scoring goals which is great, now he needs use that confidence and do it at this level, he need to get a sense of urgency every time he comes in. It is work, not a vacation, show JK that you really want it. For example, Gomez goes all the way back full steam ahead when we lose a ball and we are trying to recover it, I don't see this from Jozy.

Bolivianfuego and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  5. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think anyone can deny they have seen jozy dog it at times. I have seen him work VERY hard as well.

But I think JKs statement is not a lie. Its just the brutal truth. deal with it.

6. jnavi1

jnavi1 Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Anyone know the scoop on Jozy's alledged deleted tweet (potentially directed at Jurgen Klinsmann for his recent interview) something along the lines of "Love when people blame others for their own shortcomings & incompetence"?

If that really was directed at Klinsmann, that is quite an attack. Forget the potential locker room drama of Chandler + the boys, if this was really toward Klinsmann and even worse if other players share this opinion, that's one hell of a bad team situation..

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah its the worst. we might as well pack it in right? No one has a clue whats going on with that.

8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008

TroyandAbed repped this.
  9. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    And what does this have to do with getting more service?

10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Aside from the meatballery of "fire", "sense of urgency" and "it's work, not a vacation", I will paraphrase someone else from earlier in the thread: If Juergen thinks the Eredivise is open and not defensive (which it absolutely is, let's be clear), it does beg the question as to whether or not he's watched the Mexican 1st division prior to calling up some of the characters we have during his tenure.

Running around like a chicken with your head cut off like Boyd plays well on TV, but it's not effective (note: I love Boyd as a prospect). Jozy needs link up play like 99% of the strikers in professional soccer. We don't have that. We don't put enough offensive players on the field to allow our strikers to do anything. Herc works super hard, but it isn't like he has looked useful from the run of play either.

If the #1 thing we want is work rate and desire as opposed to fixing the underlying issues as to why our offense is broken, we're wrong.

Fanatical Monk and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  11. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm watch David Villa with spain. the man works EXTREMELY hard for the ball. man makes runs constantly. CONSTANTLY.

In the Eredivisie if you work hard you can score a lot of goals.

I think Jozy is improving but he is not a finished product.

Watch balotelli with italy and how hard he works for the ball in the Euro.

It makes a difference in the international game. Jurgen when he played worked extremely hard in the international game to get goals.

he knows what it takes.

I dont think Jurgen is perfect but he isnt lying when he is saying what he is saying. its the truth.

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Great, David Villa works hard. Jozy doesn't? David Villa also benefits from being a striker on the most talented team ever assembled. They don't lack creativity. Put him on Malaga or Switzerland and let me know how all that hard work turns out.

Being a great player means absolutely nothing when it comes to knowing how to coach a team, pick a roster, tactically plan a match, etc. If Jozy got a 90 minute run out with more than 2 other offensive players, he'd look a hell of a lot better.

And again....has Terrance Boyd scored, for all his running about and energy? Did Herc (who I love) look super effective in the final third during the run of play during the past two games. Jozy makes runs when he plays in non-garbage time situations-his teammates are generally incapable of reading his runs and playing off him. When he's played, it's typically been "Jozy, Clint and maybe one other guy marooned with 30 yards of space between them and the midfield who couldn't hold a ball in a gym bag"

Give me a break. "Jozy is lazy" has now definitively replaced "Clint is selfish" as the Stupid Criticism of Choice for the Intellectualy Lazy.

StrikerX4 repped this.
  13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Jozy is not lazy. I think sometimes his work rate is lower than it could be. sometimes.

I love jozy. think he is extremely talented but if you go back and watch Jamaica he needs better service ( JK ackowledges this) but in a little diplomacy Jozy can work a little harder to create space and move and make runs. (something bradley EXCELS at)

So Jurgen nicely challenges the midfield to give better service and also challenges Jozy to work just a bit harder to create opportunities for himself.

I see nothing wrong with this. Unless I hated JK no matter what and felt he was blaming instead of just asking for more.

BMxJoga repped this.
  14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well to be fair, he hasn't given Jozy any fewer opportunities than he's given Mexican League players, so I suspect he might agree that the Mexican League is open and not defensive as well.

I think he was simply offering his opinion on why Jozy hasn't transferred his AZ form to the national team, and that answer shouldn't really change depending on your opinion of the Mexican League. (By the way, I don't agree with his answer at all. The main difference is that AZ play a completely different style of football, a style that they've shown themselves capable of playing even against less open, more defensively sound teams. But whatever, that's a different matter.)

15. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AZ play a completely different style? They play possession football and attack and leave jozy alone up top...something everyone here complains about JK doing......

16. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he also got bad services and still manage to get one "lucky" goal in. He also provided three very good crosses into the box that were wasted.

17. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'm not sure there are too many people here complaining about JK playing possession football and attacking, but maybe I'm reading the wrong threads.

18. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    Since taking care of Saturday AM responsibilities, I see things have pretty much disintegrated into tea leaf reading Jozy's tweet, but just to not leave this hanging, no, the point of my post was not that we have thoroughbred X available (Kljestan, Feilhaber, a certain player for the Union) we're not playing in favor of mule Y, it's my increasing fear that Klinsmann doesn't see that things like 'attitude' and 'desire', while important attributes, are not enough to make Danny Williams a flank player or Jones an offensively-minded midfielder. He really appears to believe that if Williams and Jones want it enough, it can happen.

As I said in my previous post, JK says a *lot* of things...so I try not to get too worked up over any of them in particular, but to echo an earlier post, I am getting rather concerned that he may be the latest example, across many sports, of 'great players rarely make good coaches'.

19. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of it is circumstance and some of it is just the lack of dempsey, donovan, bradley and altidore playing together with JK.

those four make this team so so much better.

and we have almost never had all four of them together.

when we do we are far far more dangerous.

20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is what he wants to play. He is hamstrung by the lack of altidore, dempsey, donovan and bradley playing together at the same time.

when all four of them play together we are going to have a heck of a side. especially with danny in the 6.

21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Your first is a fair point, but to bring it up in the context he did suggests he doesn't rate performances there; I've not heard him make the same observations about the MexiLeague. To me, it smacked of unnecessary trolling of a player via an observation of a league.

Then again, he hasn't called Beasley in (rightly, I think) despite a decent run of form there, so maybe that's indicative of your point that he thinks the same of both. I dunno.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A humorous twist here - in the 1974 WC, West Germany had a mini-player revolt led by der Kaiser. The team that was dominating for the previous couple of years wasn't gelling and lost a humiliating, albeit meaningless, group stage match to East Germany.

The subsequent decision was to drop a superstar midfielder Günther Netzer - although he did play only sporadically then anyway - for a team approach, where every player fit the role assigned to him. They went into a standard, by-the-book 4-3-3 and proceeded to win the title.

Which leads me to my old train of thought - if you do odd things, you better make them brilliantly or people will just think you're plain nuts.

PS. Altidore is horribly misused by him because JK was wed to a formation and tried fitting in Dempsey where Gomez should have played and thereby moved Altidore wide. And Altidore is horrible wide - as we had learned back when Arena tried the same trick with New York - which makes his "competency" complaint quite legitimate.

Overall, it seems clear that JK and MV can make and have made many mistakes but then chose wrong solutions to correct them and instead "doubled their bets", as it were.

Now, he could possibly snap out of it at some point. With Germany in 2006, it was that same Günther Netzer, then working as a top TV analyst, who criticized the German defensive approach that let in two goals vs. the much inferior Costa Rica team. Subsequently to that, JK and JL dropped their high defensive line posture because it only led to a bunch of Costa Rican breakaways.

The problem with the US is that beside me ... and SPA2TACU5, I suppose, there aren't that many Günther Netzers around to set the guy straight.

I told ya'll before. It's the whole Triumph of the Will notion that the Germans are overly obsessed with.

SPA2TACU5 and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  23. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone knows they dont play defense in the eredivisie like they do in epl, serie A or even la liga.

unless you are ajax who do play better d.

24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    The goal was a restart. Did you see it? It had zip to do with his work rate. The prior "Mr. Doesn't Care and is Lazy", Clint Dempsey, won the free kick.

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Never said the criticism of the league wasn't valid in a vacuum. I said as much in my OP.