Klinsmann interview

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Real Corona, Sep 28, 2012.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are right about Jozy. If LD was to be playing his excellent self at club level yes, I would agree too but his season has been hot and cold at club and Nats, I think with him is something else besides JK.

2. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Landon has been PRETTY hot at the Galaxy from what I've seen, especially right before that injury I think. The guy's enjoying being in LA no doubt.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Landon and JK were pretty cozy together at Bayern. JK brought him in, for goodness sakes. I think Landon is just having other issues.

Anyway, on the interview, some stuff I agreed with (Jozy needs to work harder, Bradley as a #8, keep Fabian at LB for now, Gomez's work rate is very impressive), some I didn't (Jones as a #8) and some drove me crazy (if you are trying to find the best player at each position, you don't play 3 DM's, with one at RM every game).

I'm not as high on Lichaj as some. And I don't think these two qualifiers are the time to experiment too much. Even if Gatt didn't get injured, I think the chances he actually saw the pitch were slim. A call is one thing, actually playing is another.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  4. gsryank

gsryank Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did Jozy say on twitter just curious

5. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeow!

Someone is pissed off somewhere.

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm surprised more hasn't been made of that Jozy quote, that is really serious.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least he's cap tied

9. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Didn't Klinsmann say something about USMNT players and Twitter? :)

10. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading the interview, I continue to get the sense that JK is a poor coach, and not a very good leader, and that possibly he is losing the locker room. He is very condescending as well, and I think he still sees the USA as a cute team that can at least just try. "Isn't it nice."

It is possible that Jozy was tweeting about something else entirely unrelated, and then the coincidence of the JK quote forced him to take it down. But, it looks suspect. Never mind that JK also threw the entire Eredivision under the bus. Yet, he calls in a guy who plays in Austria?

It seems obvious that Jozy's problems, and I would assume Jozy sees it this way as well, is lack of service, which JK admits as much by stating he knows that his midfield can't create. Bizarre, really the consistent inconsistentsies and absurdities that arise anytime JK opens his mouth. It isn't like in the last two qualifiers any of our forwards really lit it up, I mean we had to use a lucky free kick to beat Jamaica.

People are finally starting to ask JK the hard questions, and the answers are certainly interesting. JK is definitely beginning to feel the pressure. We are all grown up now.

tab5g, Fanatical Monk and Adiaga Two repped this.
  11. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Or seen any of his rosters.

12. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Nobody is playing at lower level than Edu, who isn't playing period. Neither Beckerman is playing for Barcelona.

13. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    At this point, with the season that Jozy having, he needs NT much less than NT needs him.
    Verbeek would be ecstatic if Jozy said "Shove it, Jurgen".

Fanatical Monk and russ repped this.
  14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    or that he is still using Beckerman and Edu specifically named, in that rotation of 'very good'. F#ck this guy already. Its like the Jets having Rich Kotite all over again.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    Or that his 'solution' is: Everybody try harder!

SMH. I'm not always sure how seriously to take what comes out of his mouth, his words and deeds seem to be at odds at times, but I think this is close to capsulizing what drives me cuckoo about JK: as a player, he may have had an 'extreme hunger to create chances and score', been tough, had great workrate, gave his all for the team...but without his considerable God-given talent being put in positions to succeed, he wasn't going to have Jurgen Klinsmann's career, no matter how hungry he was, but he doesn't appear to grasp that.

Hunger, toughness, playing for the shirt...don't get me wrong, these are qualities any manager should look for when selecting players, but at the international level your evaluation process needs to go a bit further than that. Jermaine Jones may have all of those qualities Klinsmann so prizes, but no amount of 'hunger' is going to transform him into an attacking player.

Paraphrasing an old-time baseball manager (I want to say either Sparky Anderson or Earl Weaver): 'You got your mules and you got your thoroughbreds. You can kick that mule in the ass all you want, but he's still not going to win the Kentucky Derby'.

16. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    a) "If you can't pass or dribble, if there are physical battles, you have to adjust. If you win the one-on-ones, you start the play the way you want" -- no clue what that means?
    b) "cheap" as in 'unnecessary'?
    c) The three were "under contract with teams".
    d) If they had "no rhythm, no fitness base" then why call them in?
    e) He is complaining about it.
    a) Obviously Klinsmann as a coach doesn't "always adjust" to what the situation requires. -- see previous Question/Answer
    b) "What we always want to do is push the back line up higher and high pressure whenever we can." This is not true. We've often seen conservative, even bunkering tactics in meaningless friendlies.
    a) It's obvious who his #1 choice is and why.
    b) We weren't just happy. We were incredibly relieved.
    c) How does Gomez "sacrifice himself" for the team?
    d) I don't see a connection between work rate, toughness, sacrifice on the one hand and and "scoring that free kick against Jamaica at home" on the other.
    e) Cheap free kick by the way. Cheap goal too. Unless the goalkeeper let it go on purpose.
    f) Whether Gomez has "tremendous quality" is up for debate.
    a) Lost for words here.
    b) So Jozy has to start "working" like a maniac and "force his luck". Whatever the f. that means.
    a) Me cries. Thank God we don't have twenty quality defensive-minded midfielders.
    b) "It's been a challenge having four or five defensive-minded midfielders." Guess whose fault that is?!
    c) "while you're trying to find the best guy for every position". Uhm what? So stifling our right flank by playing D. Williams out of position over and over(!) is what he considers 'finding the best guy for every position'?!
    d) Whether Edu and Beckerman are "good" is up for debate.
    a) Fair enough. The more you play the closer you get. Like T. Boyd, A. Morales, or S. Kljestan or the guys who aren't playing at all right now.
    b) Right now is not the time anymore. I guess the question should've been: 'why hasn't Eric Lichaj received a call-up'?
    c) How is Eric Lichaj "a bunch of players"? He's one person. Or did I miss something?
    a) see Question/Answer 1. Or see Q5.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why few star players in any sport become good coaches/managers.

Apparently they don't cover this at Columbia.

manoa repped this.
  18. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    And the thoroughbred is who--Sacha Kljestan? :)

19. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's great to see the US media stepping forward and confronting Klinsmann with some tough questions. Props to Doug McIntyre.

They are starting to get it. . .

Check out the discussion underneath the article . . . :eek:

20. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to admit I too am beginning to question some of JK's answers in that interview.

However, perhaps some of this tit for tat between he and Jozy boils down to the differences in the way a German coach motivates. They are much more direct IMO. Perhaps Jozy is not adapting to this? And, of course, you'll never hear a German complement a Dutchman in anything futbol-related, and vice versa. Thus the JK swipe @ the Eredivisie.

All conjecture of course on my part as I'm not in the locker room.

21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no issue with what Jurgen is saying. it seems pretty honest to me and speaks to the situation.

22. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Much more direct than who?

23. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Klinsmann didn't take a swipe at the Eredivisie. It's a fact that the Dutch league is very open compared to other leagues.

AZ however are constantly creating chances through their proactive, technical, possession based style of soccer. Yes, the kind that Klinsmann claims to be "always wanting" to play. Which is a lie.

And AZ have done the same in last season's Europa League where they've outplayed teams with twice their budget. So the "international soccer" argument is nonsense too.

Klinsmann comes across as completely ignorant.

Tom Collingsworth and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I will say that a lot of what I was suspecting about Klinsmann is apparently true.

I still believe that Sunil got the right guy for a lot of off-the-field reasons not related directly to the nats success in this cycle, and in the long run that might outweigh the negatives on the field. (Provided that we still qualify, which I still think we will.)

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't share near the doom and gloom of others here on the on field stuff but I'm curious what you're talking about?