News: Klinsmann calls up 26 players for Stubhub friendly against South Korea

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else think our players need to hit the weights a little bit more? Not to get huge but just for more strength. I see players like Mix and AJ and im like f@ck they're gona get manhandled by Ghana (if they make the cut of course, which i think they will). Gonzo to. Players like Altidore, Jones, Cameron, & Bradley are very fit and strong.

2. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sao Paulo in preparation for the State Championships to begin this Saturday, played a friendly match at the Sao Paulo training grounds against the USMNT.
    The final score was Sao Paulo 2 X USMNT 1. Here is the complete article. Sorry it is in Portuguese but could not find any coverage in any US media, but the article can be translated with any internet translation service:
    http://www.dgabc.com.br/Noticia/505...lecao-dos-eua?referencia=minuto-a-minuto-topo

mckersive and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'd say Sao Paulo right now is about #7 or #8 in the Brazilerao, behind Cruzeiro (strongest by far ATM), Gremio, Paranaense, Botafogo, Goias, Corinthians, and probably Vitoria. Funny thing: in my personal ranking, that puts them about even with Stoke (#11 or #12 in the EPL), the one club team that has usually played a style of soccer very similar to the USMNT.

Losing to them in training shows serious deficiencies though. Hopefully the US was just experimenting.

IVO ! repped this.
  4. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to see Friedel as third goalkeeper of USA in World Cup 2014 (I know he's retired in international games) but I think he deserves a spot on the team.

5. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That defeat against São Paulo made me upset. .

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it really doesn't. For one thing, the US could have been experimenting, as you say. For another, club teams are quite the challenge for national teams, given that the club players play with each other so much that they develop excellent chemistry. Thirdly, who gives a crap? A loss to a Brazillian club team with our B team (albeit a strong B) means absolutely nothing. If we lose to SK, then I'd be concerned, but unless Sao Paulo is a new international side that I hadn't known about, it means absolutely nothing (same goes if we had beaten Sao Paulo, btw).

7. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and disagree--For one, it is a friendly against a club team, and technically this friendly means nothing in terms of the strength of the US National Team. But more important is who played in the match, especially considering this is the leadup to the World Cup. I mean, this is a 26-man camp, but gameday against Korea will only have 21 players, as I predict 20 from the camp + Michael Bradley. Therefore, it's safe to assume the 6 who get cut won't be getting on the World Cup roster. So these games are completely about individual performances.

So it doesn't mean absolutely nothing, especially for those who are trying to play in the World Cup. But I am sure there will be a few heartbroken fans who will have their favorite MLS players cut and realize they are not going to make another trip to Brazil this summer.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I think I read somewhere today that we fielded 24 players today, though I never saw a US lineup. Basically it sounded like in the first half it was our "first team" (that are there) vs theirs, and the in the second half we played our subs while they played their reserves plus a couple of youth players.

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is silly. Preseason against a big club in what is a league stronger than all but the big four or so. Most natioanl teams would lose and would have less talent, and that is certainly true for us.

10. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although, I am curious to see a tape of this match. I really would like to see who played, and evaluate individual performances. We could see which MLSers from Camp Bananahammock are up to snuff or not. Also to see Klinsi's tactics and look at his personnel experiments. This match does mean a lot from a technical and developmental aspect, and as I have said before, it will get a look at who is on the right track this summer and who is on the wrong track.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    These games are kept secret because if we could get a video and dissect it, so could the World Cup rivals.

AutoPenalti repped this.
  12. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Why are posters so defensive over a blasted scrimmage? #takenthistootooserious