Klinsmann calls 20 to Russia + Joe Gyau and Diskerud

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Nov 12, 2012.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Who would you have liked? I like him for the simple fact it's easier for him to recruit German-Americans which have made us better.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've posted my list before. Pekerman and Rehhagel were both available at the time. And a handful of others named before. Guys with 20+ years of coaching experience, not just 2 years.

At any rate, and back on topic, while the roster is attractive, its effectiveness will depend on what the Russians use. They have called their A-team plus youngsters. My bet is that they will start with the A-team, for them this is the start of their prep for that vital game in Lisbon in June.

So we may see their typical 4-3-3:

--------------------------Akinfeev----------------------------
    Yeshchenko---Berezutskiy---Ignashevich---Kombarov
    --------------------------Denisov----------------------------
    --------------Dzagoev-------------Shirokov----------------
    -----Bystrov----------Kerzhakov---------Kokorin--------

A young team, that in many ways is similar to the most attacking style the USA plays, with Bystrov and Kokorin playing their Dempsey/Donovan roles, cutting from the edge toward the middle and exploiting Alex Kerzhakov's runs.

Attacking from the start would be suicide. If JK is planning to use a 4-3-3 as well, the USA CBs Cameron, Bocanegra, and their cover D. Williams would be over-run. These guys are fast. In particular Kokorin. Whoever is on the RB position is going to have to turn on a dime.

3. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Bob Bradley recruited Timmy Chandler and Jermaine Jones.

Jurgen Klinsmann recruited Fabian Johnson and Danny Williams.

Thomas Rongen recruited Terrence Boyd.

Looks like Bob and Jurgen are tied for first with Rongen coming in a close second.

4. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I am ridiculously happy with this line-up. By far the best roster Klinnsman has called in so far. Yes, I would have liked to have seen some new faces in defense, but I imagine it will be a process filling those gaps. If Timmy stays committed, we only have one other question along the back line and that's bocas CB spot. All in all the best roster Klinnsman has called in so far.

5. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like who?

6. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As irrelevant as this whole conversation is...
    Rongen did lose Subotic though so that kind of levels out to 0 for him.

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pekerman demanded more than 1 million a year from INDIA...I repeat INDIA. He would want in excess of 4-5 million a year for the US to get him. No way we have a chance with any of the top managers.

No way.

8. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Favorite part about the roster: Noone is bitching about Eric Lichaj being left out.

9. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Otto Rehhagel

the man may be dead in 2 years. do you think he wants to travel all over the world at the age of 76?

10. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Mainz asked Rongen to leave Subotic out of the U-20 WC because of injury Subotic was looking for any excuse to leave the US set up. Will this myth ever die?

11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Probably because most have given up expecting him. Like me.

12. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been saying since May, that he wasn;t getting called until 2013. He will be around for the Gold Cup.

13. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U20 WC has nothing to do with it. It is what Rongen said publicly about Subotic that, as a manager, should never come out of your mouth, especially regarding a young player who you know will get offended. Its completely irrelevant as I said though.

14. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot Goodson, he is having a horrible year. No clue why JK calls him in for this. This game was the perfect opportunity to call in a promising young CB like a Matt Besler, George John or JA Brooks and yet he goes with the out of form Goodson? SMFH

I would've also liked for Brad Guzan to be called in over Johnson or Rimando and given at least 45 against Russia but if JK wasn't/isn't going to play anyone but Howard then I guess it doesn't really matter.

Otherwise solid roster. But seriously at some point he HAS TO get some new blood in central defense because at this rate I see no way that Boca will be good enough for 2014. It's past time to try multiple options along side Cameron and see which pairing works best. I don't even know why he is bothering to do this with Edu because not only is he not playing in defense for Stoke but he is not playing period for Stoke.

deuteronomy and FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No...........................that myth will never die. No matter how much you tell people they're wrong, they continue to perpetuate misinformation.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1614...8/11/15/966243/rongen-defends-subotic-comment

"Neven and I talked about that, and I tried to bring him in again. People say I left him off the World Cup team, but he was on that team. The only reason I didn't take him is because he was injured. So let me correct that one as well. He actually got injured in a game that he played against Bayern Munich, the last game of the year and Mainz wanted him to take six weeks off. That's the reason that he didn't go to the Cup, because he probably would have been a starter next to Nathan Sturgis there."

Neven has said the "insult" had nothing to do with him choosing to play for the nation that HIS FATHER WANTED HIM TO PLAY FOR. (sound familiar).

Anyway..............whatever.

As far as this roster goes, I'm happy with everything but the center of defense. Same old same old.

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

16. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I was simply pointing out to SUDano that he was misinformed if he truly believes that Klinsmann has done a better job of recruiting German-Americans than previous coaches.

17. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Baseless speculation on your part with regards to what his salary demands would have been if the US had approached him.

18. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said a single word about the U20 WC. I dont blame Rongen for that. I blame him for running his mouth. I know the guy personally. Im pretty sure I know the situation..

19. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Gomez---------Jozy------------Gatt
    -----------Jones----Bradley--------
    ---------------Williams--------------
    Fabian---Boca----Cameron---Chandler
    ---------------Howard-------------------

Fabian will provide the width on the left...Does Gyau play on the left?

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the roster, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Good: Basically, good to see guys who have been away for varying lengths of time. Jozy's back (though I didn't have a problem with not calling him last time). Good to see Chandler back. Good to see Mix back. Good to see Gatt get another call. Also good to see Gyau.

The Bad. Nothing really bad. Only 6 defenders, counting Edu. I don't see how a guy who doesn't play deserves a spot, but whatever. Seems to signal more time at CB.

The Weird. Strange to see Agudelo back. And strange to see no Dolo, Dempsey, or Parkhurst. Though scheduling and Clint getting his club form together may have something to do with it. I'm fine with giving breaks. No Guzan is odd. And why Sean Johnson? Disappointing not to see some new CB blood, but looks like the Edu experiment will continue. Only two real FBs on the roster (Chandler and Johnson), though Cameron, Williams, and Boca could all play wide in a pinch.

I think it is extremely unlikely that Gatt, Gyau, or Diskerud start, especially given JKs comments. Agudelo has an outside shot if we run some sort of 4-3-3/4-5-1.

Have no idea on the formation, but I fear Williams at RM.

21. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plays on the right for St Pauli I believe but he can and has played on the left in the past.

22. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wealthiest nation in the world....mmm I would think they would want to be paid.

capello did it to england.

23. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played well vs Mexico u-23s on the left IIRC

24. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know why people are quite and not complaining. Because, JK mixed it up a bit and called some unexpected names.

25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have you read this thread?