Klinsmann calls 20 to Russia + Joe Gyau and Diskerud

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Nov 12, 2012.

1. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good squad.

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It doesn't apply because it doesn't. Different time and place. There are dozens of subtle differences between then and now and not just for those 2 players. The entire roster. One time he may sight playing time and yet a year later call in someone who hasn't had alot of playing time. That's what managers do. You say there are so many more CBs to be called in. I just don't see Besler as a replacement. Just too stiff and not great out of the back. Who else. I just don't see them. So this just in. A manager can make any decision on why he wants a player over other players and publicly or not declare every reason behind every player selection.

3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting notes:
    1) No Brad Guzan after being named player of the month at Aston Villa? Hmm…wouldn’t you want to see if he’s a capable #2 before the Hex? Guess it’s training time for Sean Johnson.
    2) 90 minutes for Timmy Chandler on Wednesday. Trial by fire, and basically an invitation to the Hex.
    3) Maurice Edu hasn’t had minutes for about 1.5 months now, so not sure what that’s about. He’s totally not in form.
    4) No experimental Center Backs. Bummer. I don’t get it. Carlos Bocanegra isn’t going forever, and Clarence Goodson is not a starter. Geoff Cameron is a starter, but who are you pairing with him? Maurice Edu?
    5) Diskerud is back. Intriguing for CAM purposes.
    6) Winger palooza! Jurgen finally realizes he needs some options (Shea injured, and with LD making some comments about retirement, may have sped things up). Gatt will finally get a shot to play most likely. We’ll see if he is as “all that” as some are predicting. I’m inclined to agree with those who say he’s a vertical player with just speed and not much playmaking. Joe Gyau is an interesting call up too. One of these two young-ins will get to start!
    7) Kljestan back in the fold. Guess he finally made an impression. No Graham Zusi. Not sure what that’s about since he just started recently.
    8) No Clint Dempsey. We didn’t really need him, so there you go.
    9) Wow on the young forward contingent + 1 veteran in Gomez. Altidore gets invited back.
    10) Torres is in the doghouse. He should be in the doghouse, but man, in the doghouse.

deuteronomy repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Very true. That's why most managers have the good sense not to talk of "general principles" and "personal philosophy" in interviews, to avoid looking like hypocrites when they flagrantly violate their own stated principles.

5. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to lie. Our team is looking really good on paper now.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's usually a prelude to disaster.

When the team looks like crap on paper, wonderful things happen. See friendly @ the Azteca.

7. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If he can manage to get the team to gel together I can see a powerful brand of football developing with the player selection.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    With no centerbacks? Looks to me like big trouble in little Krasnador.

9. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have to be honest, maybe it was due to the elevation but i think we looked awful against mexico in august. I'm happy we got that win but we got a bit fortunate to get out with that ideal of a result.

We probably will lose against russia, because while i like the roster it's a lot of new/young faces and it will be interesting to see how they mesh.

10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That never happened (at least not on this plane of existence), you are making things up again.

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No, he is a capable no. 2 if he plays weekly in the EPL. That said, give Tim a break.

As long as Tim sees his German Nat team career passing him by, he is more USA! USA! than a Romney rally.

Where is George John these days.

He shouldn't even be in the dog house anymore. He should be put down.

12. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I think we need to at least test out some younger CBs, and while Gonzo isn't an option due to the MLS playoffs, Besler would have been.

There are only so many friendlies left to look at guys.

And if JK isn't interested in looking at young CBs in this game, at least Onyewu has been getting some minutes every now and again for Malaga.

If someone can come up with a logical explanation why a guy who has averaged 1.66 minutes per month over the last 6 months is deserving of a call up over a younger option or a more proven option, I'm all ears.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That's why they give simple black and white non intepretive decisions. They have to give the media something. They can't sit there and give every reason why Edu got called in over 5 other players despite not playing for Stoke City. He's not going to elaborate on wanted Gonzalez hoping he's available, really don't like Besler, want to see him at our practice at CB because we have so many DM's, Danny Williams is easily better right now, he may not start but I want to talk to him about his situation and his liking of CB or maybe get a loan, he may not even play because he's out of form, but if he's in form he may play some second half minutes because Boca and Onyewu are getting too old and slow, we're not Germany with 10 good CB's so despite the fact he's not playing he's still on our depth chart for CB and also lower down on our DM char, I don't care what I said about Mike Bradley a year ago, different player and different time and place concerning the club at the time.......

14. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean no new center-backs! Are there any international quality centerbacks that are being ignored??

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    dude, please -re-read my post. Does he say "only factor", or "factor"

16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall, I'm happy with this roster, but in honesty that's partly because I usually disagree with a fair amount of JK's rosters. I don't mind the injection of youth from guys like Mix, Gatt and Gyau. I also don't mind Clint not being called in and JK saw in person how out of sync Clint is looking with Spurs right now as he was at the game mid week.

The Agudelo callup is a little puzzling, but I don't mind him calling in a youngster with clear talent who probably won't play, as long as it's just one or two. Agudelo is basically the Corona on this roster for me. Although same could be said about Gyau.

What I do question though is where the F are all the MLSers? Did JK decide to just let them start their off season, or did they cry about the travel issue to Russia? Wondo, Gordon and Zusi. What happened there? Especially Zusi. It's important to see Zusi against a level above CONCACAF. I have a number of questions about what Zusi can do when he faces more pressure and less time on the ball at a faster pace, as he's never proven he can handle it. I thought Russia would be a great time for that.

Why no John? He had a very good 2nd half to the MLS season and with Omar still in the playoffs it would be a good time to give John a look. John deserves a look at CB before Edu, who a) doesn't play there for his club and b) doesn't play for his club at all, anyway.

JK's love affair with Edu is getting ridiculous, and if I was JK's wife I'd start getting nervous.

17. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    “All three of these players are trying to sort out their club situations, and the deadline for transfers is a week away. They have also not been playing matches, so for these reasons we decided to select different players for this roster,” said Klinsmann, who was hired as the team's new boss in July."

Direct quote from Jurgen Klinsmann as to why Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones and Ricardo Clark were left off the roster for Costa Rica and Belgium

Whoops.

Do you just think that I don't know how to use Google? Or do you enjoy being proven to be completely full of shit in your defense of Jurgen?

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006

19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Perfect world we would easily having someone starting at some top European club who was available to be called in over Edu. We don't. I agree we have to start bleeding young CB talent in. I personally just don't see Besler as that solution for his first cap. Just not a fan of his talent. A player who hasn't played for Stoke City could still be a better option that an MLS start liked Besler. By all accounts Onyewu played and was beaten like a horse. So I don't necessarily agree with the simple forumula, no matter how you play, the level of play, just play and I will call you in just doesn't apply for a team like Us 2012 at CB. I think we need Edu at CB depth going forward and think he;s a better sub that the players you mention. He probably won't even play just like Besler and Onyewu wouldn't have. I don't think its a big deal now but would like to see where this depth develops down the line.

20. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    That's because we did look awful against Mexico. We got an extremely lucky goal and Tim Howard made a series of mind boggling impossible saves that night.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not all interviews are empty. Actual tacticians do talk tactics, and their tactical ideas. Bielsa gives superb interviews, where he elaborates on what he expects to accomplish on the field. Same for Sir Alex Ferguson, who can quote numbers and draw solid conclusions.

Klinsmann is not like that. He wants to sound like a guru. He talks of principles he won't follow, philosophies that have no clear on-field effect, and methods that have been en vogue for 10 years as if he had just invented them.

He rubs me the wrong way. He reminds me of those colleagues stuck to college teaching who, when you ask them something specific about an experiment, start talking vaguely of "general principles" and "overarching procedures" because, deep down, they are quite clueless about the best methods and the amounts/times.

22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Ahhh. The truth comes out. I may not be a fan of Besler, but you're really not a fan of Klinsmann.
    I just don't know what should be expected of Klinsmann and his transparencey of thought. I just don't know that much about coaching Men's National Teams to know what he knows and how he should express that knowledge.

23. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    MMMMKay that makes it more sensible, but I still think that Gomez has earned himself a break, and that there are other young guns that probably should get a look.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No mistery. I've said it from the start. It was the right time to upgrade from Bradley. We got another second-string* coach instead. Good enough to get to the World Cup finals, and that's that.
    ----
    * Second-string means not a Top 20 coach. Still, good, not awful. But the USSF could have done better.

25. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berks repped this.