Kim Kyung-Joong @ FC Girondins de Bordeaux 2011-12 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Jitevra, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helo

helo Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    haha whaaaaat the hell? Second player that we've recently shipped off who wasn't that big in Korea. Even though I haven't got high expectations for these players it's still good to see that our players are getting a chance without being hyped up in Korea.

Times are changing. Can't help but to think how it all would have been after WC 2002 if European teams we're as open to sign Korean players as they are now.

2. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    KSock is spot on here. Kim Kyung-jung has no end product which isn't uncommon among Korean players, but his inability to deliver crosses, take shots and pass is way below par even for Korean standards. His weaknesses were going to hurt him once he started playing professionally (let alone for one of the best clubs in France).

3. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Being young doesn't automatically make a player qualified to get better. It's about having the necessary set of foundation skills (including intelligence) he can build on which Kim Kyung-jung doesn't have from what I've seen so far.

4. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  5. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    LOL, why are we so obsessed about our Koreans overseas making friends? :)

6. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Footballer being friends with their team members actually have big impact on their performance on pitch. The whole teamwork thing...

7. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Too bad he didn't sign earlier because the team was in reeeeal bad shape and he would have gotten a shot without a doubt. Now that they have improved a bit, that might be a bit more difficult but Bordeaux are far from what they used to be, they're mid-level at best, and could do with some finesse in their midfield. I don't know that player but I hope him the best, hopefully he impresses enough in the reserves to get extended and be loaned to a L2 side, that's the approach Bordeaux have been taking with their prospects (which aren't good btw).

8. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    then they would better adapt to the country i guess.

9. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    I was speaking in terms of tradition and history. My reaction to this signing is similar to the one I had when Sunderland signed Ji Dong-won. I would love to see one of our players do well in a competitive environment and wish him all the best, but I just don't have the faith in his ability to come through. I've always been under the impression that he would be an average player even in the K-League.

10. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    I think players rise to the occasion. My fear is that by the time a K-League player is good enough to be a domestic star, his developmental period will have already closed and he will be nothing more than an average player in Europe at best.

I think LCY and KSY, and to a lesser extent, JDW, have shown that it's indeed possible to jump from the K-League to Europe at a young age and show that they belong. The old model, in which a K-League player had to become a big star before moving, is fundamentally flawed IMHO, because by that time, the player is too used to inferior quality football and no longer has much upside.

11. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    This theory would only be applicable if the player in question was overwhelmingly dominating in the K-League and proved that he has clearly outgrown the competition which was far from the case with Ji Dong-won. If anything, he moved too early.

12. koreansock

koreansock Red Card

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    This.

Anyways, I was under the impression that you had some hopes for the kid meanwhile I evaluated him to be a taller Lee Seunghyun with slightly better techniques?

13. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ok, so checking up on this link we got Kim Kyung Joong to be rated around C level at best?

This is going to be interesting.

14. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    I did initially after seeing the Mali match at the U-20 WC. Even in that match, his dribbling, as always, was exceptional down the wing in the first half but his inability to produce final delivery was frustrating as we weren't exactly creating chances despite dominating. He scored in the second half after being deployed on the opposite flank as an inverted winger in the second half which is why I initially believed that he had some projectable skills to build on.

It didn't take much longer for me to realize that he's not capable of crossing, shooting or passing. His penalty miss against Spain wasn't a misfortune. Besides dribbling, he can't do anything else other than using his pace to run past defenders. That's simply not enough to cut it at higher level.

15. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I dunno about that. Ask Arsenal about Walcott! :rolleyes:

16. DavDavFC

DavDavFC Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sydney/Seoul
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Word.

17. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    I won't. Walcott sucks.

18. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Anyway, the reserve match for tomorrow has been cancelled due to the weather so we have some time before we see where he stacks up amongst them.

19. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I wonder why they havent done the official "holding of the uniform" and giving him a squad number yet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    You know at this point I'm so confused. I feel like it's impossible to predict who's going to float or sink. I definitely thought LDG was good enough to make a mark with Middleboro. He was in good form, not too much pressure and he sank like a rock. Same with Kim Duhyeon. I thought he was good enough and now he's in police team or something right? I thought LCY was going to get eaten up in EPL and be underappreciated with Bolton. Who knew he would make such an impact??? Koo was pretty dominant with Jeju and he's yet to have a decent outing in Germany. i definitely did not think he was going to struggle after seeing him be such a leader at Asian Cup. Ji imo has looked better on the pitch than Koo. And what the hell happened to Nam Taehee?? France is becoming a bad destination for nurturing Korean players for reasons I not entirely sure of. Hope this kid can find some regular minutes. Kim BK is MVProspect for me right now anyways.

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Is he waiting for a work permit / visa?

22. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Perhaps because he's more on the reserve side of the fence than the main roster.

23. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    It's not as if this is unique with Korean or Asian players. European, South American, and African players have absolutely and inexplicably flopped for unforeseeable reasons after switching teams or leagues.

If it were relatively easy to predict a player's success, well, then we wouldn't be clucking our tongues over Fernando Torres and Andy Carroll, would we?

It seems to me that Asian players have the unfair burden of being expected to succeed at a higher rate than players of other ethnicities and nationalities. Prejudices these days are no longer defined by how we view successes but by how we view failures.

24. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Great post man. You can never know. I also agree with the players you wrote here.
    I also thought skinny LCY would get fkced. But he was a success.

Funny things is players like Kim DH and Seol KH started great , and had great games, then they faded away. Kim DH earlier than Seol though.

I can't guess who next success will be. I'm sure Park CY would do well but he does not get the chance.

And topic. I thought Kim KJ was the only real offensive threat in Korea in the U20 WC. Baek also. But compare him to Lee Yong-jae whom I think was really lame. And now is stagnating in Ligue 2. I have no real hopes for him.

25. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    True. Asian players are the first to get judged. Said it 100 times. Imagine if an asian player had cost 10M$ and failed like Torres or Carroll, he would have gotten himself killed.

Asian players are often the scapegoat in a losing team.