Kids who aren't citizens, aren't close, and #!*%! immigration...

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  2. CalBlue

CalBlue Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Didn't see that. Tilley is English so he could stay there? Mario is US so he would have to wait till 18? Interesting - If they get a chance to train and play with the first team it would be a great experience for them. These two are definitely on my list for potential professionals.

3. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think Tilley will eventually wind up somewhere in England. If Rodriguez doesn't get a good pro offer he'll probably head to college for at least a year or two (UCLA?).

4. CalBlue

CalBlue Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Would love to see one of these two not go to college and be given the chance to develop playing a higher level of football with the Galaxy reserves. Maybe that's the idea behind this trip to Sweden?

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You are right. Mario has committed to UCLA........so presumably that's where he'd go.

Not that he's relevant to this thread, though.

The Gals have a glut of potential homegrowns. And like with other clubs it gets complicated by the fact that Euro & Mexican clubs are after their kids. Plus some kids that just want to go to college. Some are US citizens, some aren't. There are a lot of moving parts here.............

Like FCD losing arguably one of their best talents in Emerson Hyndman to Europe (and maybe Kellyn Acosta too)............the Gals will lose theirs too. That's gotta be why FCD wrapped up a 16 year old keeper that won't play for their 1st team for years.

6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    As we go along there will be many more players of varying nationalities and citizenship statuses interested in playing for DAs, particularly the higher profile MLS DAs.

The Galaxy U16s have a GK named Daniil Slepukhin. His citizenship is listed as Russia/USA. I'm told that he played in the Zenit St. Petersburg youth system, but I don't know how and why his parents came here. I don't think I've seen many 16-year-old GKs play with the poise and confidence that this kid has. The way he moves around the goal area, and the body language and demeanor he has is unusual for his age. On the other hand, he's already physically mature, so I don't know what his upside is. Will he stay here or go back to Zenit? http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/37416866/37417326-37416959/34223666.html

7. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely dead on Peretz. This Russian keeper is the real deal. I haven't seen a keeper this vocal and this confident at this age. I think he might have been with Chivas last year?

8. CalBlue

CalBlue Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, very good keeper. Played in the Generation Adidas as well. I think I am right that the Gals let the fewest goals in the competition. But having a good team and defence in front keeps the ball away.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I know that kid. He looks very good and is coached by Shalrie a lot.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Are you sure Herivaux is eligible for the USA?

In this article it's stated that he was born in Japan to a Haitian father and a Japanese mother.

(and FWIW, he also says that it's his dream to play for Japan in the 2014 WC.)

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not much can be done on that one..................

13. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What would he have to do to go from a visa to green card? Also would he still have to wait that long if he has been living here for over 10 years? Does that even matter in the citizenship process? Have no idea how the process works? Can someone explain?

Or basically your telling me he has to apply for a Green Card, then wait another 5 years to become a citizen? Then he probably is done.

14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Fagundez may be a long-shot, but because he signed a pro contract at age 15, there was actually a pretty big window of opportunity. Once he's a pro, the green card sponsorship process can begin, and if that had happened right away, he would likely have been eligible for citizenship prior to the 2018 World Cup.

Might he be willing to wait till then? Perhaps not, but let's at least do our best to give him the opportunity. Fagundez says, "I want to play for the US if I get the chance,’’ so I sure hope US Soccer is doing everything in its power to give him a chance.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, since he's a minor, his parents would have to apply for a Green Card. Once they apply, the actual process can be done in less than two years

Makes no difference.
    No. Once they get the Green Card, they have to wait in the Green Card line, for lack of a better term, like all other applicants. The line doesn't get shorter just because you lived here a long time before starting the process.

Yes, he (his parents) has to apply for a Green Card. And then wait a couple of years after that. Not always 5 years. It could be faster but not much. And that's after the Green Card process. We don't even know if his parents have started that yet, though they've been eligible to do so since Diego was very young. (ie, this is on them.)
    Yup.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The only way we get Fagundez is if Uruguay is asleep at the wheel. And according to that article..........they're not.

I guess we could get him if Uruguay decides he's not good enough. Then we could have their sloppy seconds.

There's basically nothing to be done.

17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Why couldn't he simply apply on his own? He has a steady job with an employer that will sponsor him and may even be able to get him into an expedited category.

(Plus, if you read between the lines of the article, his parents' immigration status is probably f***ed.)

18. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I thought I read somewhere where if you have lived in this country for over ten years it speeds it up. I guess I was wrong. He most likely has to wait till he is 18 to probably apply for a green card rite? Then wait the five years?

19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Wow, such defeatism.

Honestly, there are a lot of reasons why a 16-year-old kid would hold off on cap-tying himself for a few years.
    1. Uruguay's youth teams usually don't qualify for major events, and if they don't, then why bother?
    2. Uruguay's senior team is unlikely to want him until the 2018 World Cup cycle, by which time US citizenship could be in sight. And again, if Uruguay doesn't qualify, then it's far better to be with the US.
    3. He left Uruguay before he even knew what Uruguay was and has barely been back since. There is good reason to believe that when he says "I want to play for the US if I get the chance,’’ he's telling the truth.

20. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Uruaguay finished 2nd in the U17 team World Cup, finished in the semifinals of the last world cup, and won the Copa America. They along with Mexico are the hottest teams in the world rite now. He is going to have to be real good for them to call him up. They have plenty options there they don't need him at the end of the day. I think his 1st choice is USA, I think he realizes Uruaguay will be tough. He like Najar though won't wait forever. Hopefully they can get it figured out before the 2018 World Cup.

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    By the time Fagundez comes of age, there's a decent chance they'll be cold again. Between 1970 and 2010, Uruguay didn't win a single World Cup game.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You can insert Andy Najar and Honduras into those sentences, and people were saying the exact same thing two years ago.

All I'm saying is what you've gotta hope for if you want Fagundez is one of the following:

A) Uruguay is asleep at the wheel.......which they're not. We've had multiple reports that they're interested in Diego. And by the way, Uruguay qualified for the most recent U17 World Cup, U20 World Cup, and upcoming Olympics. Something the US youth teams didn't do, I might add. (or Argentina for that matter) So your argument should be the exact opposite of what you suggest. And that is that Uruguay already has a ton of talent on their youth teams, and may not see the need to call up a US based prospect.

B) Fagundez would decline an invitation to play for Uruguay. What Fagundez has said is basically "I'll play for whomever calls me up first." Since we can't call him up for a loooooooooooong time..............then we've just gotta hope Uruguay doesn't. It's basically a waiting game for the inevitable if he's a good player.

It's not a "defeatist" attitude. It's realism. In the case of Fagundez we're just gonna have to sit around and wait. And wait a loooooooooooooooooong time.

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Even if you were right about this - and you're not - the notion that losing one player implies that we will lose every player is defeatist in the extreme.

Now, as for the reasons you were wrong.
    1. Fagundez says, "I want to play for the US if I get the chance." I recall Najar indicating the opposite (even though his agent disputed that).

2. Unlike Fagundez, Najar had spent most of his life in Honduras.

3. When you mentioned and underlined that Uruguay qualified for the Olympics, you left out that it was for the first time since 1928. They're on an uptick, but the US is a much more consistent qualifier for major events.

At the end of the day, Fagundez is not Najar, and there is little justification for the defeatist line that "there's nothing to be done." Being the underdog means we need to do better, not that we need to quit. In the case of Fagundez, that means recruit like hell and get the lawyers onto his paperwork.

24. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal