Kids who aren't citizens, aren't close, and #!*%! immigration...

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Funny you mention Najar/ Edison highschool (where he went). I live right across the street. I just bought a house in the area.
    I want to focus on kids in this area. I know growing up, I was friends with the 'Najars' that went to edison and played with my club team. We were better than some of the 'best' clubs but lacked better training from smarter trainers in our day. I wish our club had more funding back then cause who knows what could have happened to some kids with the right upbringing.

But yes, I am a rookie and would love to connect with you for some advice.

soccersubjectively and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the best players on my son's U16 travel team is an African kid the coach discovered three years ago playing pickup with older kids and adults @ Ossian Hall Park, just across the street from Annandale HS. Kid had never played travel, or organized soccer at all, just played for fun with other African and Hispanic pickup players in the area.

The Annandale area is a very promising recruiting area.

Let me know how this goes for you--I'd volunteer to help scout, but this Spring wouldn't be good for me. In the long run, though, I've been wanting to get more involved in the local scene and wouldn't mid working with you.

4. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    That sounds good, but I am going to have to wait for 2 1/2 years before I start coaching. I will probably start actually talking to people/watching kids play in about a year and a half. I like to plan and prepare way, way ahead. I find that the people I am working with are much more focused and prepared when I am focused and prepared. For now I am learning Spanish and researching some other subjects that I hope to integrate into what I will be doing.

I appreciate your offer. I also agree with what you are saying about Annandale. That is the location that I had identified as well. It is also surrounded by Falls Church and Alexandria - other excellent locations. Annandale is definitely the sweet spot! (Bill Hamid, for example, is from Annandale!)

My main concern at the moment is that I position myself so that I am actually in a place where I can help these kids when it is time for me to start coaching. The teaching and coaching of kids will probably be the easiest part for me. There is a ton of other, non-coaching, non-scouting stuff to be done in the meantime, but don't be surprised if I remember your offer in a couple of years and contact you! I can be very thorough about stuff like that!

Thank you!

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    An OWTY update on noncitizen (and DCU academy player) Jean-Christophe Koffi says:

He has taken part in a number of US Soccer regional training camps but his lack of US citizenship has eliminated him for accepting an official camp. He told OWTY that his family are diplomats in DC, and that his family has hired lawyers to help ease the path to citizenship ​

http://owhentheyanks.com/2014/01/08/us-citizenship-updates/

That's certainly an unusual circumstance: both parents foreign nationals and diplomats without dual citizenship seeking U.S. citizenship for their teen son. Are they seeking it for themselves, too? If so, guess they don't plan on heading back to the Ivory Coast anytime soon.

I suppose the Ivorian government might not have a problem with its diplomats seeking citizenship in their host nations, but the idea of their swearing oaths to another country while serving as official representatives of another still seems ... interesting. What do I know?

If the parents are NOT seeking it, wouldn't they need to have somebody else adopt the boy? Maybe they have local relatives with U.S. citizenship who could take over legal responsibility for him -- no idea.

Either way (or maybe some other way I have overlooked ) -- interesting.

soccersubjectively and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Interesting is not the word. If it were the reverse, US diplomats in another country trying to get citizenship of that country for their son, that would be no way from what I understand regarding lower level government workers being not allowed to do the same. The US definitely checks on it, whether anyone, your kid, your uncle, your mom, whomever, is pursuing let alone getting citizenship of another country.

If you need to pay lawyers, and you got the dough, fine I guess. Lawyers need to eat too.

One of the 97 players called up for regionals a few years back from VA was a Somali who didn't speak a word of English. Definitely not a citizen according to his teammates. But with both Somali and IC, I'd think that the situations are pretty rough there, so asylum in the US for the entire family seems an obvious request. But yeah, you can't do that AND stay a diplomat for your home country. "It's so bad we need asylum" and "let me convince you to do business with my former country" doesn't seem to mesh.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus why US laws (and pretty much every other country) don't extend citizenship to children of diplomats born in the US. Otherwise, the King of Thailand would be a US citizen.

Pretty messy, otherwise. Could involve emancipation or adoption (but you don't get auto citizenship when it's after a certain age and he has passed that -- but he might be able to get Green Card). Too young for the Green Card lottery.

I'm not the lawyer here, but I think he will have to wait a while to get to US citizenship. Graduate HS and then try the usual paths to get a Green Card.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Why graduate high school first? If he wants to represent the US internationally, wouldn't it be wisest to sign with DC now (assuming they want him)?

BostonRed repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the Green Card options require you be 18 and often a HS graduate. For example, you need to graduate HS to enter the Green Card lottery. The Revs said Diego's GC was held up because he hadn't turned 18 and graduated HS.

He could probably sign with DC now, but would need an international slot. I did a little checking and kids here on diplomatic passports can generally get a work permit (home country has to approve among others). Like Diego, he'd have to make sure he got the basic schooling and the team could apply for a Green Card, assuming he was playing some for the 1st team. And he could apply for the GC lottery.

10. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Fagundez's MLS bio says he's "on course to earn his high school diploma in February 2014... gained U.S. Permanent Resident status on Oct. 21, 2013."

Doesn't look like high school graduation was necessary, although he was already 18 at the time.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected. HS graduation is necessary for some Green Cards (certainly for the GC lottery). A reporter did mention that a Revs rep said HS graduation as a delay, but he may have been mistaken. They may have meant if he had graduated HS before he was 18, it might have helped the process.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Poor kid is probably studying his ass off right now.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here was the original tweet about Diego, age & HS. I mis-remembered the details (such as details are in a tweet).

soccersubjectively and Hararea repped this.
  14. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hararea repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting analysis, though I think it's a stretch. Lots of "Congress can..." which isn't very likely as well as a suggestion that we might end up with a case at the Court of Arbitration for Sport. I'm still more interested in the clarification of the rule around acquiring a new nationality. Even if USSF pushed for Diego's inclusion as a US "national," he hasn't hit 5 years in the country after turning age 18.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is the article correct that FIFA doesn't actually require citizenship but just permanent residence and that it's a USSF rule that requires citizenship?

Could it really be that simple - a USSF change of policy - to allow Green Card holders, ie permanent residents of the United States - to be able to play for the US national and youth national teams?

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is speculating a bit. I don't have any history, but I'm not sure there has been any push on "nationality vs. citizenship" with FIFA. Obviously, with the US & UK, there are some sub-national teams that complicate the issue of "citizenship" since there are US passport holders since birth who wouldn't be eligible for the US team because they have lived their lives in Puerto Rico, for example. And, does gaining a Green Card mean you have now acquired a new nationality and invoke the 5 years after 18 rule?

And he probably needs Congress's help on this. Good luck with that:

In fact, the US State Department even issues passports to US non-citizen nationals, however at present this practice is limited to those originating in several US territories in the Pacific, notably Western Samoa. The US Congress could pass legislation which expands the eligibility for "non-citizen national" passports to include those who are (a) permanent residents on a path to citizenship (b) who have potential to represent the US in elite international athletics competitions such as the World Cup or Olympics.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    [​IMG]

xbhaskarx, USvsIRELAND and BostonRed repped this.
  19. esc0

esc0 Member

May 29, 2012
    Idaho
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just about to post this. Its pretty interesting and maybe someone can mention it to Klinsmann. Maybe he can call up Fagundez for an upcoming friendly and test the waters so to speak? lol

20. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the article is correct that Congress could pass a law declaring non-citizen residents with the potential to benefit the national team US nationals eligible for passports, that is overly complicating the matter. Congress could just as easily pass a law making people in that category citizens, avoiding any potential FIFA snarls. Heck, Congress could pass a private bill making Fagundez a US citizen tomorrow if they wanted.

BostonRed repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This item made me think of you, @Peter Bonetti... from a story about a Sueno participant:

“He was my influence,” said [Jose] Pinedo, who plays for Atletico Infantil in an independent Bakersfield league, alongside his brother on FC Tiburones, an adult team in nearby Delano, and as a captain and two-year starter at McFarland High School, where he is a sophomore.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/sueno/news...ess-2013-15-year-old-jose-pinedo-seizes-chanc

So here's a 15-year-old "from McFarland, Calif. – a small town located in farm country in the Central Valley, north of Bakersfield" who plays in an independent league, on an adult team and for his school.

Since this is California, a player like this may have a better chance than most at being spotted. Also, one could argue that him getting a look at the MLS academy level by virtue of what amounts to an open tryout is an example of the system working.

On the other hand, programs like Sueno (and, I suppose, Alianza) are perhaps somewhat reactive -- though I assume to some degree they scout and invite players of interest.

Tom Collingsworth and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  24. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Even in Virginia I have heard all about the central valley - lots of migrant Mexican workers without much money to play soccer but a lot of passion for the game. These are exactly the types of kids that I want to go after in my own area. A guy could make a name for himself building soccer in the central valley - if he could find a way to finance it.

25. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Kekuta has said he is a year to two away.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.