Kids who aren't citizens, aren't close, and #!*%! immigration...

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure he is, not sure why he's on the list. Perhaps there were just questions about him.

2. CreightonMCFCjoey

Jan 30, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

exactly, I have seen people question his status. Was hoping someone could help me clean it up. Looks like he's good too go. Wonder if he turned down Bradenton to stay with Revs Academy?

3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    he was born in the US iirc... Boston area.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Zakuani only received his green card last December, so he's looking at a wait of at least 4 years.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but he's specifically been quoted as saying the US is his first choice. Whether he sticks it out for four plus years, nobody knows.

7. SecludedMonkey

SecludedMonkey New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How in the world is the USA his first choice when he's not even American? lol. The guy doesn't even have the right to say that.

8. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me being American is a little more than a slip that says you are.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure whatever you want to think, but he said the US was his first choice. We will see how long that lasts, but I guess the DRC isn't too attractive and England likely will never happen.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He wouldn't be eligible for US youth teams right now even if he was an American citizen. (He'll be 24 in February) So the relevancy of Steve Zakuani to these threads is essentially zero, as he's:

A) Not American
    B) Not a Youth

But hey..........this is Creighton's rodeo. If he wants to include Steve on his list, so be it.

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Well, TBH, this is why we created this...no?

To let the dreamers dream and keep it our of other discussions.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rafael Baca of San Jose?

Went to college at Loyola Marymount, but was born in Mexico. Very tidy little midfielder. He's an '89.

13. avinha

avinha Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
  14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright you don't like Zakuani, well you really won't like this one.....

[​IMG]

Guy has four goals in ten games in qualifying, which isn't freak out impressive, except he's basically clutch city. Three of his four goals have come in 1-0 wins, and he has Armenia on the cusp of a playoff. Ar-freakin-menia.

He's not a citizen.

He's already cap tied

But he lived in this country from the time he was something like five years old until his mid twenties and frankly, I think he'd be the #1 on our depth chart.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If Yura wasn't wanted by Armenia, and had stuck around MLS for a long time.........he would have possibly become an option for the senior USMNT. But the USYNTs never had a prayer.

This will probably be the case with Danny Mwanga. If he's not wanted by the Congo, sticks around MLS, and becomes a citizen.............the senior national team has a chance at him. But I don't think it'll all happen for him before the Olympics.

One benefit of having the centralized development academy system is that we can identify these players earlier. But to be honest, we identified Andy Najar at about as early of an age as possible................and will undoubtedly lose him. Same with Bryan Leyva. Uruguay is well aware of Diego Fagundez. We'll probably lose him too. Our hope for players of this ilk is that the national teams they are eligible for aren't paying attention, and the players manage to slip thru their cracks. One nation not asleep at the wheel is Mexico. Just come to the Dallas Cup or other tournaments here in Texas/California/etc. Their scouts are ubiquitous. If people think Mexico is gonna ignore a talent like Raul Mendiola, they're crazy. And there's nothing we can do about it. Nothing. The USSF can contact him and say........hey, we'd be interested in you years down the line when your citizenship comes thru. And then the player has to decide whether to sit there and wait. Very few of them do.

16. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    I dunno--FIFA's eligibility rules refer to "nationality" rather than citizenship.

Even with American nationality, I think he'd have to live here for a couple years or have an ancestor born here in order to be eligible to play for the US.

17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    See, this is a great thread. Whenever someone pops off about eligibility we can just direct them here and be done with it.

Excellent thread here.

18. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    I'll just reiterate that this still makes absolutely no sense. That somebody like Yura had such trouble just points out really obvious flaws in our immigration system. Christ, he was here what, 18 years at least? Most of that as a minor.

19. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It still takes some effort from the person in question though. If he (or his parents) wanted to become a citizens he had plenty of time to, despite the flaws in the system.

20. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    I'm aware, I just think if you spent 13 years here as a minor, you should be eligible for citizenship at 18, regardless of your parents and provided you meet the other requirements (test, language etc).

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Yura really wanted to be a citizen, he would have had no problem sticking around for 5 or 6 years more to become one. And then he would have been set for life. The immigration system isn't, and shouldn't be set up specifically for soccer players.

22. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    I never said it was or should be. I think this should apply to everybody.

I just don't see the value in a system where a person can spend 13, 15, 17 or whatever years as a minor here and not be eligible for citizenship once it is finally within their control.

That's broken.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if he or his parents never bothered to go through the process. It's not like the government said, no, you must wait forever and there will be no end for you. If Yura and his parents had done the proper process to become a citizen, he would be one. The only thing that stopped him was his own families apparent laziness. Unless of course I don't know something about them, which is possible.

24. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    If that's the case, then it isn't his fault (or the hundreds of thousands of kids in the US who have gone through this or are about too).

If (please note, I'm saying "if") an immigrant's parents were content to renew their work visa, I don't understand why the kid's naturalization chances should suffer for it while he had no control over it. He/she's "done the time." Doesn't make sense to add more barriers if they meet the other requirements.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It is within their control. They can go thru the citizenship process.

I understand what you're suggesting, but I can say with near certainty that a policy like that will not be enacted in my lifetime. They don't have a policy like that in places like Mexico either. Just to pick a place................