Kids banned at a sushi restaurant in VA

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by msilverstein47, Jun 14, 2013.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I actually think this is a good idea. If the owners are willing to lose potential customers, and still think its worth it, who is anyone to tell them they are wrong. I liked the quote from a few parents basically saying "just because we have kids doesn't mean we don't want a break once in awhile, etc.."

Besides why do I get the impression that the parents who are going to "boycott" are the types that have the obnoxious kids, but are too oblivious to see that "my little angel Johnny" is misbehaving?

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm good with banning kids at some places. How would you feel about a restaurant that bans old people?

3. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, the fact that old people are usually not bothering anyone, and are in control of their behavior, their really isn't a reason for it. So I don't see how their is any sort of comparison.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lets say you open a bar, and young people keep telling you they want to drink in peace without old farts trying to proposition them, so you decide that nobody over 40 is allowed. Kosher or not?

5. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Its not a realistic scenario. Or its not realistic enough where an owner would be tempted to do it.

Bad parents that don't take responsibility for their kids behavior in public is unfortunately too common, so a demand exists, and its realistic.. While there will be people who complain about it and refuse to go, enough of an audience will also like it.

But to answer your question, if the owner wants to do that, its fine.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Fantastic idea, its why I'm almost always going to go to the Alamo Drafthouse out in Littleton to see a movie. That and beer.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's perfectly fine to have some kid-excluded places. And I'm a parent who actually likes kids.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It's different. Kids don't know what they're missing by not being allowed to a specific restaurant. They're oblivious to it all.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I used to get mad as a kid when the neighborhood stores had rules like "only 3 kids allowed in the store at the same time." Nobody else had to follow those rules. But nobody else was shoplifting baseball cards and candy, either.

If the restaurant owner feels the restriction is necessary, it probably is. It's not if business people like to turn down customers, after all.

10. Michaele8

Michaele8 New Member

May 7, 2001
    elmira, oregon
    It is age discrimination, plain and simple. And even if they are not taken to court I suspect they will lose a lot of potential customers, including parents who generally do not take the kids with them for dinner.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By that logic, so are R and X-rated films. We don't have any rules about what kids can eat (which is as important as what they see, in many ways), because that doesn't concern other patrons.

Why would anyone get bent out of shape at finding out that there are places where adults want to congregate without the presence of kids? I'd think parents would be among the biggest supporters, especially since they have to spend the most time with kids as any group other than teachers. It's completely possible to love children and yet realize that they can be pains in the ass in an adult environment.

Why would they get upset about a decision they made that wasn't forced upon them in any way is beyond me.

bigredfutbol repped this.