Ki Sung-Yong @ Celtic FC 2011-2012 Part 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Sergei Mantis, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    fuggit. if you can't even be honest about it then don't bother.

2. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I would have no problem with him going to Spain or Italy. I would agree with you there.

If he went to a champions league side, do you think he would start? Not in the 1st year I don't think. Unlike PJS, I do think he can be a starter for a champions league side eventually, but not in the 1st year.

And what is wrong with going to a mid-tier club? He could go there, and if he performs well, he can definitely transfer to a champions league caliber club then. No one ever said he would be stuck in that mid-tier club forever.

3. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Couple of bad matches!? How about a couple of bad years in Europe. That and he was never that good in the first place.

Fck me. If this were a thread about Kim DH, I could understand your position. But you keep going on and on about KSY like he's some third rate talent like Kim DH.

4. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wait...so Kim DH failed in England and now he's a third rate talent? Kim's no Ki (Ki is obviously much bigger talent) but Kim few years back was one of the more talented midfielders.

Hodori, I'm suggesting baby steps for Ki. You want Ki to climb huge steps. That's where our differences lie. It's just different mentality.

5. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Potential English clubs in the CL
    1. United - he would be a better option than Carrick, Anderson, Scholes, Giggs, Fletcher. Start? Why not...

2. City - Who the fck knows how many midfielders they'll buy next season. No.

3. Spurs - Would be a great compliment alongside Modric or in behind VdV. Better option than Sandro. Would do well alongside Sandro. Start? On a rotational basis.

4. Arsenal - Fck them.

5. Chelski - Absolutely needs him in behind Mata. Better than Mikel. Essien and Lampard are creaking. Start? On a rotational basis.

6. Newcastle - Alongside Cabaye and Titote, he would do extremely well. Start? Yes. This is assuming the squad doesn't get dismantled by Ashley and they don't suffer catastrophic injuries next season.

And then there's Liverpoo. Start? Absolutely alongside Lucas over the shit they have over there in the midfield.

6. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Only club you mention there that would be a fit - Newcastle. I would support Ki going to Newcastle.

How are you going to tell me Ki would start over Carrick, Anderson, Scholes, Giggs? Really? Is this what you're telling me?

Ki hasn't even lived up to his potential in Scotland, a league vastly inferior to England. And you're telling me he can go to ManU, start over all those guys you mention, turn on the switch light, and play well right away in a league much tougher than SPL?

I wish to share your optimism, I really do.

7. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Kim DH was never that good. He's not a third rate talent, because he failed in England. He's a third rate talent, because he had a limited ceiling; a ceiling which he failed to reach.

Why should our best and most talented midfielder take baby steps when he's already been stuck in that mode for the past two and a half years?

He's already regressing. Why do you want him to risk plateauing? He has the talent to fight for a spot in the best squads. And it's only through such competition, he's going to grow.

Taking another intermediary step is pointless for KSY at this stage of his career.

8. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Obviously he needs to go to a team that will give him PT so taking too big of a step is bad. But seriously, it'd be just as bad if he were to go to a team like Stoke. He'd definitely regress.

9. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm done arguing with u in terms of KDH. Obviously we saw two different things with this guy.

Regressing, LOL. Right.

He wasn't even a full-time starter until this year for Celtic. How are you going to tell me he's regressing? He's 23. 23.

Maybe I'm in the school of thought where players should develop slowly so that it helps them out mentally as oppose to risk players of losing their confidence and run the risk of ruining top talent.

10. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This. 100 times this.

11. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    @toohyper...

Chill. Sounds like you're depressed about being stuck in a life of mediocrity, and you're projecting onto KSY like you did w/ PJS.

That and you're empathising way too much with Kim DH who suffers massively from mediocrity.

12. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And he had the most minutes in the SPL for 2/3 of the year until he ran out of gas. Celtic has a crazy crazy schedule, including multiple competitions, CL qualifiers, Europa, multiple cups and on top is a super physical league.

And what intermediate steps are there? Celtic's quality is roughly comparable to a lower table EPL club.

And for the record, 23 is not young. He is not an 18 yr old prospect. Big clubs have spent far more money on rawer, younger, less proven talent.

13. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm doing fine, don't worry about me. It's nice to know that you can't argue anything else so you want to try personal attacks. I see what you're doing there.

Not disagreeing with Celtic's busy schedule. But obviously SPL (besides Rangers and even Hearts) is a piss poor league.

I honestly think going from Celtic to a league much tougher like EPL is an intermediate step of its own. I'm not suggesting Ki goes to Stoke or Wolverhampton. Mid-tier EPL club is what? 6-12 roughly. 23 is not 18, but playing 2 years at a top 2 league for a mid-level club is going to do him more good than bad. By then if Ki has developed into a class player, he should able to go to a better caliber club.

And you're right. At 23, players need to be playing full time for the senior squad. This isn't necessarily true for 18 year olds. Will Ki play 25 times in the Premiership for ManU if he transferred there? Not great odds.

14. Bluestars562

Bluestars562 Red Card

Mar 10, 2012
    Are you forgetting he needs to join the military? 23 Is not young in footballing terms. He spent enough years in a mid tier club. He can go onto do better things at a CL club next season.

15. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Pro Korean footballing career. 18-28 years old. Take a gamble and join the best club you can get Ki. i want to see some good summer reading

16. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    liverpool would be a great fit for him. united wont happen but imo hes way better and more promising than the ones they currently got. theres a reason he got scholes back up there the midfield of united sucks. Ki is too good and talented to go to a club at the sunderland/stoke/aston villa level. he shouldnt look at any clubs who arent at least upper table and borderline continental tournaments. otherwise he might as well stay at celtic.

as long as he doesnt go to russia i could see him fetching a 6-11 mil fee

17. Akimize

Akimize Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If ManU, City, and Arsenal take 3 champions league places, the chances he plays in champions league are pretty slim. He won't be going to any of those 3 teams. However, I could see him at Chelsea, Tottenham, Newcastle, or Everton. I think there's a strong possiblity that he ends up in the upper half of the table. With any luck that team will play in Europe and push deep in cup competitions, giving him more opportunities to show what he can do.

18. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Most players do not change clubs like stair steps like FIFA. In real life, clubs speculate on players at lower levels coming in and making the leap. And it pans out more often than not because the gap in play to the top tier of the EPL is rarely as large as the English press make it out to be.

The top clubs at the EPL are characterized more by the DEPTH and QUANTITY of quality than a surplus of superlative players.

19. Akimize

Akimize Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's why he should join newcastle and after a couple of years get a sponsorship for a resident visa from the Lord of Winterfell, warden of the North. PJY not the only one who can use connections to the rich and powerful. ;)

20. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't even play video games but thanks.

I don't think you're wrong. But I obviously want to see Ki be a full-time starter for a good club. Newcastle is a good club. Everton is a solid club for him. But I already stated my reasons for why I would go against him opting for ManU. At this point it's getting repetitive.

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That doesn't mean he can't suit up for example a most likely CL club like the Spurs who need depth and his skillset.

22. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Him going to the Spurs wouldn't bother me. More I think about it, I think Spurs would also be a good destination.

23. Bluestars562

Bluestars562 Red Card

Mar 10, 2012
    Question is will he stay another year at Celtic? And I don't think any top 10 premier league clubs will be bidding for him anyway.

24. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He won't be staying. Who knows what the SPL will look like next year, and I think Celtic would like to cash in on his value given that they could always use a few more ruggers for the battles of the SPL.

25. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    It's not a personal attack. It's a general observation.