Ki Sung-Yong @ Celtic FC 2011-2012 Part 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Sergei Mantis, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Mug

Mr Mug Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Hasn't Ki been in and out of the Celtic line-up, sometimes losing his spot and winding up on the bench? Why do people think he's ready for a league many consider to be the toughest in the world - the EPL - when at times he's struggled to establish himself in the mickey mouse league that is the SPL?

2. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's probably one of their best players (if not THE best player). However, he has been injured/sick quite frequently this year. It's why he winds up on the bench sometimes

3. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    many of the times he loses his spot its due to 1) celtic have a deep squad 2) he gradually gets worked back in after injuries 3) tactically celtic are so much better than other SPL teams they dont really require a big midfield presence. hes important when you play europa league teams with more technical ability but not against "mickey mouse" teams like hibernian.

and fyi going to the EPL is an option but he doesnt have to go there. but he is ready for the almighty EPL imo

4. fiercejoy

fiercejoy Member

Jul 1, 2010

I think this is a fair question. In the earlier part of the season, KSY was an automatic starter in every fixture - league, cup, and Europe. Arguably, he was Celtic's best player. In fact, he was probably played too much. And that, plus having to travel for international duty, led to his getting sick and losing his starting spot. I suspect also that the winter months are particularly hard for a player like KSY - not because of the cold, but because of the condition of he pitch. I don't think he would have the same problem in England, where pitch conditions are maintained at a higher level. Finally, many clubs in the SPL basically park the bus against Celtic, which negates KSY's range of passing and shooting from distance. Many Celtic fans criticize him for poor defensive positioning and underwhelming work rate. I suppose that here's some truth to those comments, but nothing that can't be worked on and improved - especially with good coaching. IMO, KSY's class is undeniable. If he can improve other facets of his game, he'll be phenomenal in any league if he's played in the right system and with quality players.

5. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    As much of a Ki fan as I am, I wouldn't be surprised if Ki struggles a bit in EPL. If he goes to EPL, hopefully he goes to a club that can develop him slowly and effectively.

6. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    but...but...thats what you said about Park Ji Sung and United.

7. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    because the people around him are not on the same level as he at Celtic.

he needs to go to an elite club where his contributions will be better felt.

8. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Mr mug makes the EPL sound so elite.

Ki is a quality player. He has the most potential out of all our players imo. A good club will be pivotal for his development.

9. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Idiot x2 + foot in mouth disease.

10. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Clueless.

If you owned a Ferrari but only drove it through rush hour traffic in the city, you'd be complaining about how shit the car is, and how it'd struggle on the race track. :rolleyes:

11. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    When did I say this? I said Park shouldn't have gone to ManU because of playing time. I said that Park should have gone to a mid-tier EPL club to be a full-time starter because it would have been beneficial for his development. Never said he would fail. Of course, Park has developed well but you have to wonder where his development would have been if he went to say...Aston Villa. We'll never know now and it would be hard to speculate. 7+ years at ManU and he started full time maybe what? 1 or 2 seasons? He cemented himself as a super sub in ManU.

And you guys have to understand, Park was what? 26 when he went to ManU? Ki is 23. Park also played in a better league and Champions league experience when he went to ManU. To say Ki dominated in SPL is an overstatement. And while SPL might be physical league, he was playing against the likes of...Kilmarnock and Hibernian. EPL is a whole different level. If Ki dominated against the Rangers, then I would be more inclined to say he'll succeed without a doubt in England. I'm not saying Ki will fail, but Ki will definitely struggle here and there since he's still relatively young.

And Hodori, instead of calling someone an idiot, why don't you come up with an actual rebuttal?

Prestige is overrated.

12. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Here's an "actual rebuttal" for you... KSY's innate talents greatly outweigh that of PJS. This renders most of the justifications for your hypothesis/speculation moot.

13. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No sh*t. KSY has far more natural talent than PJS. PJS is an overachiever (this is a positive) and has worked extremely hard. But natural talent only goes so far. And KSY does not have the kind of experience PJS had when Park went to ManU. Park had champions league experience. Park played about 3 years at a league much better than SPL. And Ki is not exactly a top notch work ethics guy.

How many talented players have we known that failed in top competition? Tons. Song Chong Gug should have succeeded in Feyenoord. What happened? Didn't Arshavin just got kicked out of Arsenal? Why did Bergkamp fail in Italy?

Your rebuttal sucks a Ron Jeremy.

14. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who said he dominated SPL? I think many still believe he's playing below his potential with Celtic, and that has more to do with his management and environment an than anything else. Oh so Ki fails against Rangers and suddenly he's worth that much to you? Look...Im not trying to be a dick but you're seriously narrow-minded, hype. You tend to see associations that aren't there based on shallow premises. Transitive properties that don't exist.

Clearly the talent is there. He's done his job here and enjoyed it. Time to move on to bigger and better things. Thats where he belongs.

15. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm a big Ki fan, I know he has talent. Some of these posters here are saying Ki was one of the best Celtic players this year if you haven't seen those comments. Ki fails against Rangers could be a potential indication that he might struggle in EPL. It's 1 club, that's fine and it's more than possible that Ki just can't adjust to Rangers style of play. But Rangers would be probably the 7th best club in EPL if placed there.

All I said was that Ki should go to a club suited for him, to go to a club with good track record of developing good young players. Maybe Everton.

16. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    WTF? We're talking about the premiership. It's nothing special. Stop believing in the hype. It's a league where footballers of less talent and experience have had (or currently are having) success.

He's acclimated to shitty, rugby-esque play of Britain in general. And he speaks the language fluently. He'll be fine.

Btw, sorry if I don't really care for your footballing opinion. They're usually laughable, like your posts about Kim DH after the last WCQ.

17. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    uhh...last time I checked, Premiership is a top 3 league in the world. Probably top 2 after La Liga. He speaks the language, he is use to the weather there. No argument here. But are you denying that EPL is much better than the SPL? No argument that players of less talent can succeed anywhere. I think Ki will be fine in EPL (which is something you don't seem to understand). Just like any young player, he'll struggle a bit though, but you seem to keep thinking struggling a bit ---> Failure. I've also said Ki going to ManU is something I would go against. If that's what you're arguing against, then I would like to hear the argument. And please don't use Park Ji Sung as one example. One example doesn't mean anything.

18. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    well honestly I have found some of his no-shows against Rangers a bit disappointing but I still think its too early to make any associations based on that. he's done very well for us in bigger games.

you can't make your assertions though. they don't link up well enough.

19. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes because we should always forget about a player after couple of bad matches. :rolleyes:

20. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Give toohyper a break. I don't think anything he is saying is unreasonable. Besides, it's kinda silly to get all worked up over predictions. Anything can happen.

21. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Of course. Rangers...1 team. Sample is too small. Honestly if Ki was placed in a club like Everton or even Newcastle, Ki will continue to develop steadily and perform well. Look at Lee going to Bolton. Worked out relatively well so far. But I'll continue to argue against Ki going to ManU.

22. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i dont see how he "fails against rangers". and last i checked its a team game. how is it that he supposedly failed against rangers when 2 players get sent off? last season they won 3 of 4 and this season theres still 1 more. i think the fact he plays in the biggest games says something.

23. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    you have to use the PJS example because you were so adamant about it. you came here a few times saying he wouldn't make it there for whatever reason and even showed up a few times afterwards to kick him when he was down just so you could cash in on your previous witless comments. it was almost like you were wishing he did poorly just so you could do this. it was foul.

now you're making clueless assertions on Ki. I think you should quit. You're not very good at it.

24. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop it.

WTF? You want him to go to another club that plays kick and rush shit like they do in Scotland?

He really should go to Spain or Italy where they play with much greater technique. He would make a seamless transition if he could adjust to the cutlure/language.

But since he's most likely going to want a move to England, he should move to a champions league side where he can best display his best attribute, which is his range of passing. Otherwise, he will be stuck in 2nd gear and made to look ordinary.

Jesus... Mid-tier club to develop him? :rolleyes:

25. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Only in your head you thought I said Park wouldn't make it in Manu. All I said was Park would be a sub in ManU. I don't think I was wrong about that.