Ki Sung-Yong @ Celtic FC 2010-2011 [R] Part 2

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Seol Korea, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Or if he fails to earn his military exemption... Then it's back to the K-League with Sagmu. :(

2. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Geez, forgot that little detail.
    Hell no, we won't go.

3. news

news Member

Jan 24, 2008
    He was asked which player from the Gwangju area he would want on his team. The selection was obvious. No one saw it in serious context...except the British.

4. redknights

redknights Member

Jan 20, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    exactly... you don't know how many times I go on British football websites and I see a headline that makes me exclaim "Oh no he didn't!" only to find that its been blown way out of proportion.

5. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It does make u feel sad/sorry for Kwangju. Ok...well just a little.

6. thsgmdals

thsgmdals New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    he didn't make that a fan did and he thought it was creative in a sarcastic sense because his nickname aside from kirrard is 기식빵 (Ki Bread/Ki shik bbang) because during one of the celtic games he got into a fight with another player and he swore at him in korean but it looked like he was saying shikbbang (bread in korean). just to... clear that up @_@

Ki and SHM are just playing around in their tweets. ki makes fun of HM but in a playful way its quite cute what they do to each other. its just some bromance, nothing serious.

7. Tonybhoy cfc

Tonybhoy cfc New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Celtic would never accept anything like £4m for Izzy if a prem team wants him they can pay Prem prices, the amount of money average players go for down there is ridiculous and Celtic do not need to sell.

8. Henke7

Henke7 Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Seoul/Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If they were paying EPL prices he'd be worth about 14 million, but they don't have to pay EPL prices cause we're not in the EPL so he would go for 8 million plus imo. The board would laugh at 4 million though to be fair, good left backs are like gold dust these days.

9. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Let's wait and see. I did say £4m plus add-ons - in my mind I had something near £6m in mind. Whatever the price, Celtic could potentially make a massive profit from his sale if (1) he maintains his form and (2) Celtic do decide to sell him.

10. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Disappointing match for KSY. Disappointing match for Celtic... :(

11. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  12. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Here are my post match thoughts... I wasn't going to bother, but I might as well point a few things out to those of you who didn't get to watch the match. Some of the criticisms of KSY are warranted, others are way off base and really unwarranted.

1. There was bound to be some hyperbolic reactions after that loss. There were some shocking defensive lapses that led to two really cheap goals... None of them were KSY's fault.

2. KSY struggles playing a 4-4-2. He's neither a defensive anchor nor a box to box midfielder. He still needs to develop other aspects to his game so he can become more box to box. He's playing in Britain, he might as well learn... Anyway, I thought KSY was struggling in his role and the team switch to more of a 4-3-3 midway through the first half. After the switch, his play improved, but this leads to the next observation...

3. He struggled to play on an awful pitch; it was hard, rough and pitted. But that's expected from half the pitches in Scotland (and England) at this time of the year. It's still no excuse for playing poorly... He lost confidence as some of his passes didn't connect. He also struggled with ball control which led him to get stripped a few times. So there were many times where he should have hit the long passes or advanced the ball to more forward positions. Instead he made sideways passes to Masterojivic who would try to hit the long passes. It was frustrating to watch. I hope he regains his confidence.

4. KSY looks very tired right now. He's never really had any pace. But his legs looked like jelly. The Asian Cup really has taken a lot out of him (just like it did to KSY and PJS for that month post WC). I think it'll take him a bit to come back to full fitness. Playing in a 3 man midfield masks his fatigue a lot, especially as Kayal and Brown are grafters who can be very busy. But in a 4-4-2, he was disappointing...

5. Given the condition of the pitch, I think Celtic shouldn't have played a 4-4-2. The midfield got overwhelmed at times b/c Celtic couldn't pass their way out and Motherwell pressed extremely well. I think there was a 10 min spell where Motherwell eased off a bit and Celtic were dominant as they switched to a 4-3-3. But they were unable to capitalise on some very good midfield play. Sometimes, it's ok to play very ugly, and I think a 4-5-1/4-3-3 from the start would have been fine. Motherwell was bound to exhaust themselves with that sort of pressing around the 65-70 min mark. At that point, I would have gone for a 4-2-4 with a couple of substitutions if I were Celtic.

6. Last but not least - it was an off day for the entire squad. They looked a bit complacent. I guess that's the downfall of playing Rangers so often (and throttling them so often). Hopefully they'll get their act together and make sure they need to be flat track bullies as well.

13. Henke7

Henke7 Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Seoul/Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I wouldn't read too much into what is said on forums. I could go on TalkCeltic and start a thread calling Ledley, Brown, Wilson, Samaras etc a liability and some would agree some would disagree, people's opinions are always going to be mixed. The majority respect his talent and what he brings to the team.

He was very poor today though as was most of the team, Ki was particulalry poor in the first half but his game is just not made for a pitch like that as i said at the game and which everyone around me agreed with. Nothing to be worried about imo it was just a terrible game for Celtic in general. It should be back to business as normal on Wednesday.

On another note Ledley has been excellent lately and is getting better all the time so i worry that Ki has a really tough fight on his hands to get back into the starting 11 week in week out like he was before the Asian Cup.

14. ChaBoomer

ChaBoomer Member

Oct 27, 2004
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well, judging solely from his busy activities on twitter, he needs to focus more on his game. Same goes to SHM whom I stopped following when his useless tweets quadrupled a few weeks ago. I blame Ki.

Anyway, on twitter, he mentioned how terrible the pitch was and how his body wasn't moving as his mind tells. I know the feeling.

15. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I blame his dad.

16. KwonchesterUtd

Aug 10, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Looks like to the young ones, the KNT is granted.

17. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Xenophobia for the win?

18. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So much fighting going on today, Mondays sure are rough.:(
    Topic friends, topic!

19. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We are seeing Korean brother love :D

I used to make fun of my brother...i stopped once i realised how strong his 꿀밤 were
    :(

20. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Our boy starting and playing in the derby

21. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thanks bro, good reminder!

22. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    NP, been lurking here long enough, thought I'd contribute :D

Ki has been playing pretty well, no "splash plays" so far... he smashed one at goal outside of the box, went over the top bar....

Whitaker just got a red, 10 vs. 11 Celtic!

Edit: Diouf and Lennon going at each other, read Diouf's lips pointing and saying FOCK YOU to him haha, this is a circus.

23. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ain't an Old Firm Derby without a red card and a fight! :D

24. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team: