Ki Sung-Yong @ Celtic FC 2010-2011 [R] Part 2

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Seol Korea, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonybhoy cfc

Tonybhoy cfc New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    This, he is an average midfielder at best.

Ki is part of a growing team at Celtic whos average age is something like 23 throughout the squad, I expect this team to develop in the coming years as a team that will be good in Europe again (top 16) the thing with Celtic is we have to take a couple of years out to build sides from scratch and build our way up again because unlike teams in England we don't have Arabs billions to spend and we wont get ourselves into hundreds of millions of debt like BPL sides.

The thing I believe Ki is missing the now is a burst of pace like Kayal has got where he can glide past a player and create something for himself, With Kayal being the holding midfielder for Celtic I would like to see Ki playing a more advanced role at times and having more shots at goal because he can strike a ball.

Also his set pieces need to improve, that was meant to be one of the main reasons we bought him but he has not improved in that department like he has in others but that will come I think, the thing I am most pleased about is how physical he is now, he certainly knows how to put himself about.

2. Henke7

Henke7 Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Seoul/Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I disagree, His direct FK aren't the best but i think his corners and indirect FK are for the most part pretty dangerous, now and again he has a dud but so does everybody. A lot of time Ki puts in a lethal delivery and nobody makes contact, or does but misses the target.

3. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    CB, you're a little too harsh on skim shady. He hasn't been negative on any player let alone Ki. If anything he's pro club/anti CKR. :D

4. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I think it's always a mistake to put tactics ahead of players at your disposal. I coached a couple of teams in the years past and learned my lessons the hard way when I put tactics ahead of players. To me, the best approach it to pick the best players, or players best in their positions, and devise a tactic that 1. will play to the strengths and limits of those players within their positions; and 2. flexible enough to be pursued even with a couple of substitutes thrown in. My feeling is that you want to win, or lose, with your best 11 players, unless your team is so lopsided in the availability of position players that it doesn't make sense to put your best 11 and ask them to play out of position.

IMHO, I don't think KNT is so loaded with talent or CKR's tactics are so brilliant that we can afford NOT to pick the players based on quality alone. Sure, there are toss ups in a couple of positions on KNT--but Monki's position is not one of them.

5. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    I wonder why that is? If he can place the ball pretty much where he wants on an indirect fk than shouldn't he be able to do so with a direct fk? Maybe the wall bothers him.

6. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It most certainly does. Mainly because 9 times out of 10 its only 7yds away instead of the required 10.

But don't mention that to the referees. We wouldn't want them getting upset and striking again... :rolleyes:

7. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Wouldn't be a bad idea if refs started using that spray paint that evaporates after a minute or two to establish the line. I saw them using it on TV during Argentine League matches.

TBF or To Be Critical, I haven't really seen Monki get on target let alone trouble the keeper when he takes direct FK's for the national team in a very long time.

8. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think Archildo got it right. I think a good international manager finds a style that matches the talent, and that club time is the place to be developing. Thus this whole argument was totally mis-aimed as I wouldn't question KSY being on my starting 11 for '14, but I could see an argument against if we go down CKR's crazy road to mediocrity.

Let's let Ki get fully situated where he's starting 11 every single week for Celtic before we even get ahead of ourselves to thinking of his prospects at a midtable level club, let along big 4.

9. Henke7

Henke7 Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Seoul/Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't think it would be smart for him to ever go to a mid-table club, he would have little chance at any trophies or European football. Not to mention the fact that his value would sky rocket meaning a elite club would have to splash out big money on him.

The only benefit is he would be playing in a higher level league. If it was for a top 6 or maybe even 7 team that wouldn't be so bad but any lower wouldn't really be worth it imo.

10. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I've always been an advocate of Korean players playing for a mid-level EPL squad. A balance of playing time, competitiveness, and some small chance of winning a trophy. I think Lee's situation at Bolton is perfect imo.

11. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah you have. Glad nobody listened to you when you said Park should stay away from United and go to a midtable side. I think you said he'd be a complete failure and also remember you always showing up if Park was in a rutt. Utter BS.

12. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hahaha look it here. My old buddy K.

I admit that PJS has developed well over there in ManU but you do have to wonder if he could have turned out to be the same playing for a different EPL club or perhaps better. Maybe, maybe not.

And you're exaggerating. Never said he would be a failure. I said he would be better off for a mid-level squad because he would be getting way more playing time. Positive for PJS is that he's a super sub and gets experience in Euro tourneys. I still like Lee's situation at Bolton though.

13. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I cant tell you how much I enjoyed you showing up when Park was down though.

You almost seemed like you were wishing it to happen so you could gloat. Thats all I needed to know about you.

14. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I have complimented him when he has played well. But obviously you like to ignore that part and just believe whatever you want to believe. If that's what you really want to believe, then so be it. The water over there in Hawaii must be some good sh*t.

15. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

In any event glad the demands of sandwhich making have afforded visit from you. Welcome back. Guffaw guffaw

16. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    hahaha definitely more white collar these days

17. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Get a room you two. :D

I for one think Ki has plenty of development left to go through and Celtic is a great place for it. People say the same thing about LCY going to a top EPL club right now, and I just don't think it makes sense.

18. Henke7

Henke7 Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Seoul/Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    :D sounded like an argument a divorced couple would have over their kid:p.

Im with you LCY and Ki are both in great places i don't see any reason for them to move for the next 2-3 years at least.

Also Lennon seems a little worried about the international demands of Ki and Cha. Speaking about the demands on his players last week Lennon said:

“The two South Korean boys were out for a month. They came back for a week then went away again.
    “Now the manager has told them they’ve got two more friendlies in March and two more friendlies in June.”

He doesn't say it specifically but i think he's hinting at it. That does sound like an awful lot of time spent travelling and playing extra minutes, especially for Ki who hasn't really had much time to rest recently.

19. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Im personally ready for LCY to move on from Bolton at the end of this season. I think he's almost ripe for change. And he's right at the right age as well. Why delay this? Go to his franchise club NOW. I keep looking at Jack Wilshire and saying to myself thats just not right. Anyways, not the right thread.

20. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    I'd rather watch the NT play any day over a club/league match even though it may not always be as exciting but these two & LCY should really stay at the club especially in the meat of the season. Now somebody who might not be getting a lot of playing time, maybe SHM or NTH, I think should go.

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    CKR/KFA anger rising...

But seriously, why would Lennon want to build around Ki if he's gone every other month for significant periods of time, coming back run down from playing close to if not the full 90?

22. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    LOL

[​IMG]

23. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    This is a good question. I wonder why?

24. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    CB, if its in reference to my earlier posts, the question is in reference to that fact that he doesn't.

25. redknights

redknights Member

Jan 20, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic