Ki Sung-Yong @ Celtic FC 2010-2011 [R] Part 2

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Seol Korea, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Carrick and Fletcher just about to enter their prime? Really? Wish they played like they were. And entertaining the thought of Arteta becoming a red seems so unreasonable, it just about blows your entire argument out of the water. I really think youre reaching.

2. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If Ki is playing for any CL team on any epl/bl/l1/serie a/la liga club in the next two years, I'll be floored. He has way too many holes.

3. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And lets not forget, SAF has made favorable comments about Ki in the past. He's seen him several times including the match between FC Seoul and United where Ki left his mark. He's definitely on the radar.

4. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I'm sure SAF noticed him after seeing him in action personally on a couple of occasions. Imo, the last old firm game was one of his most efficient matches. But right now, United needs a creative playmaker that plays a bit further up the pitch and gives about 10 goals per season from that spot. Someone in the VDV or Modric or Hamsik mold (or even Kagawa). Carrick has a good season in him I believe, and Scholes has another 15 starts in him left for next year. There's also Cleverly who I rate very highly.

So SAF should in theory not be in a rush to buy KSY. Why sit him on the bench when KSY can go through finishing school at Celtic and gain champions league experience? Even after another two seasons worth of development at Celtic, his price will not skyrocket out of control. That's unless Celtic reach the quarters or semis of the CL in the next couple of seasons based on KSY driving the team on (which would be awesome if it happened)...

As much as I hate to say it, Liverpool has a bigger opening in the spot that KSY plays. They did go after Charlie Adams. I think once KSY gets more exposure in the CL, he will enter their mind frame.

Ok, so Carrick is in his prime and has another year left. Fletcher is entering into his prime. Carrick - I don't know why he's self destructed. Fletcher - he's still performing.

Arteta - why is this unreasonable? He's one of the classiest playmakers in England. I would die to have a footballer that accomplished pulling the strings for the KNT. He is so underrated; if only he hadn't been hit with such bad injuries... He's Everton's best player - not the Aussomoan with the crazy vertical.

So? :confused: SAF has also made complimentary comments about PJY. That went well... And that last match with FC Seoul? KSY only played 20 mins or so if I remember correctly... Imo, if SAF wants a young playmaker that he can develop like Cristiano Ronaldo or Nani, he would go after someone like Paulo Henrique Ganso at Santos.

5. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hamsik *drools*

6. Tonybhoy cfc

Tonybhoy cfc New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    SAF has been watching Izaguirre according to most reports as it looks like Evra will be leaving at the end of the season as he has said he wont sign a new contract.

KSY is still developing and still has a lot to learn, imo any move outside the top 4/5 in England is a step down so I think he will be here for a couple of more seasons.

7. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Exactly. Why take him away from a great finishing school? As long as Celtic are winning and in the CL, and he's getting match minutes, there's no reason to leave and potentially stymie his rate of development.

I really like how Celtic's backline has been transformed by shifting Mulgrew to CB. But if Izaguirre leaves in the summer, will he be moved back to LB? Or will Lennon try to unearth another LB gem on the cheap?

And at what price will Celtic be willing to sell KSY? I think after a couple of successful CL campaigns, Celtic could look to receive £10-15 million for him in a couple years.

8. Tonybhoy cfc

Tonybhoy cfc New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I dont think Mulgrew will ever be anywhere near LB again he was a disaster in there.

Celtic are financially very stable so we don't need to sell players, it took Moscow over £10m to get Mcgeady and that was after Celtic rejected several lower bids for him.

If Ki continues to develop like he has been in the last 6 months added to his potential market value which is a major factor because Ki would make United a lot more than £10m his transfer fee should be high, I think a bid around £10-12m could be enough as although Celtic are financially in a very good state its a lot of money to a Scottish side.

9. Henke7

Henke7 Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Seoul/Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This discussion must have been had 3 or 4 times already. Ki is in a really great position right now, the manager clearly trusts him and thinks of him as an important player as do the fans, he's playing well and is part of a team that is improving and growing together every game.

If all goes well Ki will leave Celtic for an elite club a better player with trophies and CL experience under his belt. Its all going great for Ki right now considering at the start of the season there were rumours he was going on loan to Trabzonspor, why can't people just enjoy it, Im sure he is.

As far as SAF is concerned he has already embarrassed himself a little with the Bebe situation. I don't think he's going to take a 6-7 million pound risk on Ki.

10. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Btw, the away pitch was horrendous by the corner flag. It was all muddy and slick. I thought that last foul on Ljundberg was particularly dangerous - he almost slid and face planted into the small concrete step there.

How's Scott Brown's groin btw? He didn't look too comfortable on the bench when he came off.

11. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Dang. PJS keeps losing his friends on the team.

12. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    Jitevra needs to change his name to just plain 'Ji'

13. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Evra is not leaving, what the hell -_-

14. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Rio de Ji Naniero :D

k ill stop.

15. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    One visit from SAF to the park and all the KSY fanboys freak out :)

A year at Celtic and he's gone from horrible to not-a-horrible-liability in defense, ball control, and movement. Let's wait til he gets to the average level before we even talk about a move to a mid level EPL side. Frankly, given our poor mans version of tiki-taka, I could see an argument where KSY needs to battle Koo for a spot in the NT starting 11 since his style isn't a good fit for that type of play.

16. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Say what again? Speaking of fanboys, you might want to check yourself regarding battling Koo. Thats just plain inconceivable. Two totally different players first off. He's even more raw than Ki and the jurys still out as far as Im concerned.

17. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My point is that on a short passing squad, you don't need a high quality long passer like KSY in the back bombing balls all over the pitch. Instead its far better to have somebody who can cut in and out, work in traffic, break through with pace, and/or play defense when your formation is all busted up, etc. Not that Koo is better or even close in development... just that his skill sets relative to team style is a far better fit.

18. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Uhh.. Ki is like Carrick except less skill on ball and not as good passing. I hope he doesn't go to United. I don't want him to become another Dong.

19. ChaBoomer

ChaBoomer Member

Oct 27, 2004
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So KNT should go with a single style of play? I'm sorry. I know what you mean but even now I'm frustrated with the lack of diversity in our plays.

This is nonsense. KSY is good where he is now. We'll see how he does in CL but Celtic will probably go out early.

20. pkk78

pkk78 Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Club:
    Real CD España
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ki is better than Carrick
    but I also hope he doesn't go to United
    cause he'll end up like Veron

21. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3SWaMWgOyU"]YouTube - Hillary Clinton Laughing[/ame]

22. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    I've been here long enough to notice that you seem to have something personal against KSY, as it just is incomprehensible on a reasonable level your disdain of him as a player. Ki is one of the very best players on the KNT right now and would rank high even in the history of KNT -- he is one of the best players in Celtic. You seem to think he has one useful skill, and hardly deserves to be on the KNT. This is frankly such idiocy that I don't know whether you really know even the basics of football. I almost wonder if there was something actually personal that happened where you feel like he insulted you or your family.

23. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This has gotten completely sideways. I'd rather the team NOT play like CKR wants, and have KSY as a key player to push the ball to our explosive players like Nam, LCY, and PCY.

That said, I think he has a long way to go before he gets to the level of his nickname sake, let alone play such a pivotal role in a top European side. Clearly I'm not the only one here when even Korean Celtic supporters here see that he has some development to go, in particular for me as on defense and in traffic. And I have stated I have never seen him in K league, but it seemed weird to me earlier in KSY threads when he was clearly pretty shoddy and tentative in the beginning of the season and was in rumors to go to Turkey (!) and yet people were praising him and speaking down to his criticizers as if we had never seen football before in our lives.

And finally, there are many great players who don't fit into a team's system. As a NT, we are finally at the point where we don't have to pick purely based on quality alone, and can try to build a team around tactics. I could see a very good argument for having a MF who could double as a fifth defender given our current style. I don't like the style or leaving a player of KSY's caliber on the bench, but I don't think the NT would be clueless without him.

24. pkk78

pkk78 Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Club:
    Real CD España
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ok.. Maybe not the Carrick of Spurs or the first season or two at United.
    But I think he's better than the side-ways passing ghost, shell of his former self Carrick of today. When was the last time Carrick dominated and pulled the strings from midfield, pushing United forward with drive from the back third?

25. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Carrick has got to be one of the most overrated players discussed. He just is.