Ki Sung-Yong @ Celtic FC 2009-2010 [R] II

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Seol Korea, Apr 3, 2010.

1. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    Look, I think what is getting lost is that this is not a typical situation. We're not talking about Cho Won Hee here. We're talking about one of the best (if not the best) Korean player at present. Clubs give up on players all the time after a few weeks (Cho Won Hee, Ahn JH, Seo Jung Won, etc). So why can't a player look for a different situation. Messi is just 18 months older than KSY. Remember, we're talking about a player that we KNOW is a terrific player. If given the right opportunity, he would do well for ANY club. It is my opinion that he would be a strong player for Barcelona at present. The mistake that many are making here is that they are assuming that KSY is just one of the Asian also-rans trying to make a European team.

2. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Since the vast majority on this board are Korean I don't think anyone feels Ki is an 'Asian also-ran'.

It's not an easy decision for Ki and who knows how much say he has in the matter. Ki might want away but if Celtic insist on holding on to him whether they play him or not then...that's an unhappy situation.

Sometimes we start work at a company with high expectations and for whatever reason we're not happy. How long do you stay? Try to work harder hoping things will turn around or start looking right away for someplace you hope appreciates you? Probably not much different for footballers.
    Sounds kinda ridiculous that he should look right away but I think it's paramount for footballers to play as much as they can since their career is so short lived.

With the managerial changes and uncertainty who really knows what will happen? Might stay another year and if the gaffer doesn't fancy him then it's a year down the drain. Maybe he'll suck it up but I'd rather he get some PT somewhere.

3. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I hope he doesn't turn out to be a journey man like Seol.

4. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    did any other european teams want Ki? i think he should've went the LCY route by going to a low tier team in the Premier League.

5. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Well it all depends who ends up getting the managerial job for Celtic. It could end up in his favor but it could end up being more of the same for him. Its a question of whether you prefer one bird in hand over 2 in the bush. You cant really compare Park with Ki in this situation because he was playing for Guus at PSV. And I disagree with this burden factor you keep talking about. Sure it'll sting for a little bit but it can be erased once he finds his form again with another team. And that can happen again under the tutaledge of Gunes who Im sure would utilize him the way he was meant.

Even though Carlito stayed a long time at United, he probably shouldve shoved off a lot earlier looking back. The time factor and burden for him wasnt a function of time spent at United, IMO.

6. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    Well, this is what I mean when some seem to want to compare KSY to "also rans". Imagine this: Messi signs with a team not considered one of the top teams in the world. They then basically make him a bench player. Should he then just "wait it out" and hope that next year is better? That makes zero sense, right? Maybe after a month, the whole world woud be saying, "Get the heck out of there or sack the manager!", right?

Well, automatically, you say that Ki is not Messi. And you're right. But Ki in my opinion is one of the top midfielders in the world right now. Not one year from now, but right now. What's going in currently in the land of the men with skirts is just not right.

7. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    :confused::rolleyes:

8. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    one of the top mfs in the world??? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok...i guess there is some truth to that...if you count ALL the people in this world that plays football (which includes myself and many of you guys here), he maybe in the top 15%

if you count only the professional footballers...then i think he's quite mediocre (ok above average). good enough to play in europe but he's no all star.

9. poebae

poebae Member

Juventus
    South Korea
    Feb 1, 2007
    Sydney
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Depending on the street, he could definitely be in the top 3 footballers in the street.

10. Koreafan

Koreafan Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ki Sung Yong needs to get the hell out of Scotland if he can. For those who think it is too early or he should tough it out for another year...What are you thinking?!?! can u please pass whatever you are smoking, i could use some these days. Ki is the one of the best prospects we ever had, and for some reasons, some guys want him to stay longer at this talent sink known as Celtic? He is playing reserve games at Scotland league people(and this is a world cup year..which shows you how much celtic cares about his development). time to get the hell out of there at the first opportunity.

11. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Top midfielders in the world ...

Top midfielders in the world !!!!

12. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Well, technically speaking I'm one of the top midfielders in the world too* so he's not wrong

* definitely in the top 100%

1 person likes this.
  13. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    It's nice to see that many of you know something about soccer. Unfortuantely, in my involvement with it, I've come across many more pretenders than contenders when it comes to real knowledge, so it does not surprise. My opinions are from actual watching, studying, and playing the game, not just being spoonfed from the ESPN analyst.

My first world cup experience goes all the way back to Mario Kempes. When I am comparing players, it is not just against the current roster of players. It goes back all the way to Luis Falcao.

I hope Ki is in form in SA. Watch his play and his passes closely then compare to some of the other midfielders you see there. Then you can put whatever knowledge you think you have in your pipe and smoke it.

14. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    It's nice you have confidence but you must be alone in your assessment.
    Perhaps one day he might be one of the best but he's done nothing to warrant, ESPN or not, consideration as one of the best MF in the world.

Now if you want to talk about the best in the world, it doesn't get any better than Javad Nekounam.

15. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    wth is sawwwker?

You remind me of dellogo, a literate, understandable version.

16. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    No one watches/reads ESPN to get info on the KNT.
    You do realize we've all been watching him play?

Weak sauce. You're not gonna catch any fish today.

17. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    Brilliant. Instead of debating the subject of Ki's abilities, your argument is about which name we use to describe the game or saying the you watch SBS vs ESPN. Watching does not equate to seeing. And people can see, but be blind to certain facts. And as far as language goes, you can call it chookgoo or football or futbol, but that is just a regional convention. Todavia es un tonto aunque puede decir "futbol". Entiende?

However, that's fine. Whereever, you get your sports news, when they tell you that it's okay to say that Ki is a world class player (maybe FIFA magazine), then you can come back and tell us that it's okay to say that.

18. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    I'm starting to see things your way. He is a fine player. They don't call him Kirrard for nothing. I think your timing is a little off though.

By the end of the WC, Kirrard will be recognized as one of the world's best MF.
    It'll be plain to see on the world's greatest stage.

This has got me pumped up. Who knew that the KNT would have this type of talent?

19. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That was your argument estúpido. :rolleyes:

You're the one who was jerking n' jizzing to Ki and how you were the penultimate sawker expert on the Internet.

20. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Until then we should use our own judgement or rely on your assessment. :cool:

21. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    Yeah, use your judgment. Your mom will agree that that's worth something. But that's not 'cause she knows anything about soccer.

My mentioning ESPN is not that you get Korean soccer news from there, but one can get opinion about who is supposed to be the "best" from there (along with other media). Since you don't hear from those traditional sources, you think it laughable that someone dare say that Ki may be a top professional player. Entiende? Prefiere que explique en Coreano?

Now, I guess you think that supporting Pohang and watching their soccer somehow makes you knowledgeable about international soccer:confused: but most of the world don't know Pohang from PoHo, so don't esteem your "judgment" more than it's worth. No vale mucho.

Or following Liverpool from NYC being some wannabe -- what makes you follow them? Have you any direct connection?

Please. This is getting a bit old. I'll stand by my comments. Ki Sung Yong is currently one of the best midfielders in the world. He just needs the right opportunity. LCY has found the right opportunity and it isn't ridiculous to say that he is one of the upcoming stars of the Premiership. Kaka (for whom I have the utmost respect) is in poor form and it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Ki would perform at least as well for the moment. I recognize that most people, even so called "experts" don't see that yet. But we'll see. Hopefully soon.

22. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Brilliant. I'll just trust your judgement then, because you say so.

It says 'foe'. Besides, who are you? Judge, jury, and executioner?
    You just created a sock so you can post here. Someone is supposed to respect your opinion?

I hope you're right btw. ;)

23. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wargamer? Is that you?

24. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers