Ki Sung-Yong @ Celtic FC 2009-2010 [R] II

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Seol Korea, Apr 3, 2010.

1. footballchic

footballchic Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Bruges
    Club:
    CFR 1907 Cluj
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    It's too late to get optimally fit for the World Cup, because there are only 7 weeks left while he is still obligated to Celtic for a few more weeks, during which we are not likely to see much action from him.

The best we can hope for is about 70-80 percent, but most likely it will be less, which means he will be overrun a lot by opponents, and he will become a one-dimensional and predictable kind of player. The rest of the team better pick up the slack, because Ki, if he plays will likely be a great liability in terms of work-rate.

As I said at the beginning of Ki's career in Scotland, someone should have told him (I thought his dad was a respected youth coach!) that he should have maintained his fitness in the off-season if he was expecting to transfer in the winter transfer window. I'm sure the injury didn't help him either, but maybe his lack of overall conditioning and fitness contributed to his getting injured in the first place.

2. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    That's what I was afraid of. Those friendlies, I don't think will be nearly enough to get him to an optimal state.

3. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Don't worry, we have Kim Jae Sung. :)

[​IMG]

4. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Yeah, he's actually pretty good. He had the time and space to pick his spot but loved his goal vs. Japan. Quality.

5. Puckodum

Puckodum Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Why wouldn´t Ki be fit to play the world cup? You guys do realise that he probably trains everyday and im pretty sure he´s a regular with the reserves, even tho it´s not the best preparation, his fitness shouldn´t be an issue just because he doesn´t play for the first team as you guys make it sound like. And reserve games are quite competetive even if it is lower level opposition, reserves have to prove their worth so im pretty sure they´re giving it their best, so he shouldn´t get too rusty on his skills.

6. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    After watching him against Ivory Coast & Japan, I'm really liking this Kim Jae Sung fellow.
    He has speed, decent positioning, and I like his overall aggressive prose. He's not afraid to take a shot either.
    He'd make a nice AMF for our WC team, since we're lacking offense.

7. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think this guy will be in our squad. He's showed great qualities in the last couple KNT friendlies.

8. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I bet the bhoys are very disappointed with 'key' because he was suppose to be the new Nakamura because he is Asian and can take sweet freekicks :rolleyes:.

9. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The 'asian Gerrard', or so he claimed. :rolleyes:
    I really hate it when fans/footballers alike say things like "the asian ___"
    It just puts our ethnicity down.

10. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    I don't think that's his fault though. It was the Korean press who over hyped him. I'm not sure if he distanced himself from those comparisons though.

The press also dubbed him 'Kirrard'. LMAO. These guys are good in a funny way.

He can still make good but it's gonna be uphill for him at Celtic.

11. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    he hasnt been given a proper run....at least one that would instill confidence.

12. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    True true..
    He did impress when he was on the pitch. I guess the manager feels Ki's not the type of player he needs atm.

Who knows..

13. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is playing some nice soccer in the league right now isnt he? I saw him in the ACL. Interesting player.

14. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Any chances of him playing today?

15. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is not even on the bench I think.

16. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Based on previous weeks' lineups and matches, there is very little chance we'll see him play for the remainder of the season.

17. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is great, specially when WC is around the corner.

18. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    As someone mentioned earlier, it's not like he's sitting around doing nothing. He'll be training every day.

He'll probably play the last game of the season and then rupture a cruciate ligament and it will still be all Celtic's fault...

19. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Good one...

To be fair, Celtic have absolutely no obligation to play Ki Sung-Yong but what is bemusing is that he doesn't even appear on the bench. I suppose Lennon is content with the status quo. They secured second place today but the performances have generally been underwhelming. Again, I blame the player for making what is amounting to a poor decision before the World Cup. He should have either jumped ship with Lee Chung-Yong to have the entirety of a season to habituate or should have stayed with FC Seoul where he would have remained the crown jewel in a fairly potent midfield. He has said before that he wanted to stay on until the January transfer window because of the ACL so he should have stayed put. He is now currently in a bit of a quandary, both in terms of the ephemeral haze of the managerial situation and his own playing time, and that probably only compounds the frustration -- as evidenced by numerous editorials and interviews in the Korean media.

Having talked with Ki Sung-Yong last week, he's still not sure why Lennon is not picking him despite feeling okay and fit and impressing in reserves. Apparently, Lennon doesn't even really talk to him that much either compared to the other players or even Zhi.

20. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    It's too bad that KSY is not getting playing time at Celtic, but in the end it may be best. SPL is not the right league for him. I hope that he is still able to play well in the WC despite his lack of playing time. Ki is one of the best footballers that Corea has ever produced -- I think he more than PJS and LCY will have the possibility of becoming one of the top players in the world. And the league that he needs to be in is the EPL and not the SPL -- so it may be better that it be this way so that he can move on, rather than play pretty well for a long time in a mediocre league.

21. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    The thing is..It's not like he didn't have other options or other teams that were interested him. In particular, there were two Serie A teams, one that has had an interest in another prominent Korean player in the recent past, that were very close to deals.

22. Dokebiteam

Dokebiteam New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I hope it's not another Koki Mizuno in the making...

Should Huh start looking for another alternatives?

I was impressed with Ko Chang-hyun the other day, his amazing ability to find his teammates was quite impressive. Has great footwork for passing. Then we have the regulars like Kim Do-hyeon, Kim Nam-il paired up with Kim Jung-woo. Or other possible choices like Cho Won-hee or Ku Ja-chul.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Park Chu-young, Lee Keun-ho, Park Ji-sung, Kim Jung-woo, Kim Du-hyeon, Lee Chung-yong, Kim Dong-jin, Lee Jung-soo, Cho Young-hyung, Lee Young-pyo, Lee Woon-jae[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Bench XI
    [LINEUP-4-3-3]Kim Dong-chan, Lee Dong-guk, Kim Jae-sung, Ko Chang-hyun, Ku Ja-chul, Cho Won-hee, Park Ju-ho, Cho Byung-guk, Kim Hyung-il, Oh Bum-suk, Kim Byung-ji[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

23. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Should have watched Donati...and followed him :D

Kim Jae-Sung would be the like-for-like replacement for me but he doesn't have the passing range that Ki Sung-Yong does. I wish we could clone Yoo Sang-Chul circa '98.

24. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sex Dragon is our starter for the World Cup, unless of course, he stinks it up badly in friendlies leading up to the competition. What we need to compliment him and Kim Jung-woo is an additional holding midfielder in the starting line-up, which will enable him to go forward more freely.

As for his lack of PT, I share the same frustration as any of you, but in all honestly, this was expected. Mowbray even mentioned a numerous times back in January that Ki was a signing for the future. He made a decision, perhaps a foolish one, to make the move just six months before the WC. He needs to suck it up.

All this talk about how he would've been better off in another league is comical.

25. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Agreed. Against Argentina, I think we definitely need a five man midfield or else they're going to find a lot of happiness in the gaps between midfield in defense, regardless of whether Maradona has a harebrained strategy or not.

For me, and based on his current form, Kim Nam-Il, with his experience, is a must.