Kevin and Michael Hoyos in Argentina

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL it happens.... I know of a guy who can't speak the language still and arrived here at 13. He's 32 now, and can't speak english because he only hangs with spanish speakers lol.

2. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea like Bolivianfuego stated... & it's becoming more common around the country. I know people in Miami that are far worse. Dallas, where he was for those 7 years, has a lot of Spanish dialect so you really wouldnt have to know English that well. I know people in Miami that have clocked about 20 years here that really have a hard time.

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot has to do with the "circle" of friends he hangs out with.

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh yeah, I am not doubting it for a second, I live in LA and there are parts where people who strictly speak in Spanish. Only reason it was strange, because he had to go to school, and where they likely taught him English. Then again who knows, during his breaks spoke Spanish.

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A few years ago, when PDL Mexican-American star Felix Garcia was getting some run with the US U20 team, he had to give interviews in Spanish despite at the time going to HS in Texas. where he was born and raised.

6. 1-6-3

1-6-3 Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This "rumor" more or so came from a Argentine radio show. To me it just sounds like lobby work Klinsmann is doing. Out of the two, Hoyos looked the better prospect among that 2011 crop of players that had Iturbe as the highlight. Funes Mori as Iturbe, looks to be stuck on that potential. A creator and a striker... One can take many conclusions from this but it's never a safe venue.

7. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I was never impressed much by Hoyos, he seems more of a workman than a creative type we neeed for the US shirt. WIth that said, he's been playing consistently on the reserve for estudiantes...if that counts for anything.

He lost his chance to play first team since that accident... and I think it's safe to assume he may not be the same player as before...but he is still young. So who knows?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Any chance we could get Hoyos to switch to us for the Gold Cup? Seems like a long-shot, but he has to realize he will never play for Argentina at a World Cup.

9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? I'm pretty sure he hasn't done much since getting injured.

10. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he played at all lately? I haven't seen any evidence that he's played since last August.

11. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He hasn't played a single game in this tournament. The last time he played was the opening game of the Apertura.

I'd also point out that this is a very, very bad Estudiantes team. They are currently dead last in the league table with 4 points in 10 games.

The US team may be struggling a bit, but I don't think you need this guy.

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need him.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't been good enough since his car accident

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From what I saw of him, pre accident, this is the truth. We have PLENTY of CM's like him. He's very Zusi like, but faster(pre accident). I am assuming he's just dropepd a couple of pegs, and at this point we probably have guys who are better anyway. Mix comes to mind, Corona, etc.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Personally, I think he should just move to the MLS to get some games under him. He won't have a hard time at all coming back since he lived majority of his life here in the States. I think a few issues might linger this, he has a kid out there and bringing his child's mother may take time. His kid brother is there as well who I haven't heard much about it either. But if he wants to further his career by any means he needs to go somewhere where he can play.

16. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I'll admit I've never seen the kid play, but he did start for Argentina's U-22 team against Brazil 5 months after his accident. So I imagine he's pretty much fully recovered. The fact that he's not playing for Estudiantes isn't worrying, he's still a young kid. I'd take him in a heartbeat, his long-term potential is much above Zusi's.

http://int.soccerway.com/matches/20...s/argentina-under-22/brazil-under-22/1210468/

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In light of statement #1, how are you so confident of statement #2?

18. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    At age 21, Zusi was playing for Maryland. At age 21, Hoyos trains with Estudiantes and has played for Argentina u-22 team. That's enough evidence for me to conclude Hoyos has more upside.

19. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy talk..

How about if I told you that Hoyos played for Argentina's U22 team at the Pan American games - a tournament for players not seeing any first team action. In general, it's not a serious tournament.

If my memory is correct, Hoyos started the first game of that tournament and was very poor. He subbed in the next game and was still bad. He then didn't play again th rest of the tournament.

All evidence suggest Argentina was taking a flyer on Hoyos in a very minor tournament to see if he recovered and weren't impressed.

20. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    That may be true. But anyone who thinks Estudiantes' reserve squad wouldn't run circles around the Univ. of Maryland team is kidding themselves.

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At age 18, Gabe Ferrari got into a few games for Sampdoria. Johann Smith played for Bolton. Bryan Arguez started a few for Hertha. Kamani Hill was a regular sub for Wolfsburg for a stretch.

Argument-by-resume is a simplistic way of evaluation and without context, it will lead you astray.

Since his car crash, Hoyos has made one appearance for his club over two seasons. He played on an Argentina youth B-team at the Pan American games, and this was widely acknowledged at the time as a courtesy call up to check in on how he was doing post-injury.

We're talking about a guy who has made one club appearance since 11/20/10. It's been a few years since his crash and he still hasn't returned to his pre-injury level. It's sad when a player's career heads in this direction, but it's time to start letting go of high hopes for Hoyos.

Tom Collingsworth and mike4066 repped this.
  22. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see your point. What you said proves absolutely nothing. College has its flaws, but very good players come out of the NCAA. A lot of players for reserve teams don't even make it. Go back and look at the roster from Argentina's U20 World Cup winning teams in 05 and 07. Sure you have Messi but you also have a lot of people who never made it.

I know it's encouraging to see an American player in the youth/reserve team of a big club but a lot of players at this level never pan out

23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its not really important, but Argentina doesn't have a U-22 team. We have a U20 team, that Hoyos played on.

24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think the point he is making, is that Hoyos as a 19 year old kid was taken under the wing by Veron. I hate the man, but at one point the guy was probably the best central midfielder in the world when he was at Lazio. He played 3 world cups, played for Manchester United, Chelsea, inter, Lazio, etc.

its not every day you get to learn from a guy with those types of skills and experience.

His coach was also Alejandro Sabella, who is currently the Argentina National Team coach. I'm not saying Maryland's coach isn't good, but I doubt he will ever manage players like Messi, Higuain, Mascherano, Aguero, etc. as Sabella is doing now

keller4president repped this.
  25. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That says nothing about your comparison between zusi and hoyos and more to do about a pro teams reserve team and a college team. Zusi has become an integral part of sportings roster and appears regularly for the USMN.