Kevin and Michael Hoyos in Argentina

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Are you sure about that? Osvaldo started playing for Italy at youth level over 4 years ago.

2. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i dont disagree with any of this, simply saying that he should be hush on the subject. No one WANTS to know they are the fall back option when they get denied by their first choice.

Obviously if he went out for Argentina and failed and then accepted a callup to the US we'll know we are the fall back, but when he says:

"if it doesn't work out for me here, I'll hopefully have the opportunity to go for the United States."

it doesnt appear that he's truly torn about which country to rep. If he remained hush on the subject it could have been a simple "I would love to rep the US but i've always dreamed of playing for Argentina" At least at that point it was a tough decision.

Perhaps it truly was and that was just poorly worded by Michael, but what that quote tells me is "if it doesnt work in Argentina i could always play for the US"

I know its minor and simple, but when it comes to national team pride it makes a difference.

3. SecludedMonkey

SecludedMonkey New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What position did this kid play anyway? Attacking mid? Those kind of players are scarce in our pool. If this kid can be effective one day on the international level I don't think we have the luxury of excluding him.

Btw, how is his recovering going? Is he no longer in the coaches plan's?

4. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Being torn, Ill win either way depending on who he plays for but I understand your sentiment.

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen him play only a few times and he is a lefty mid that has played attacking and the few games that I saw him play was defending a lead as a defensive mid.

From what I'm hearing is he is still iffy making the Argens U23 much less the senior one but probably a safe bet that can make our senior squad. you guys agree?

6. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given our pool, we do not have that luxury assuming he could crack it (per BShredder's comments)

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just because he had played for Italy's youth teams doesn't mean he wasn't waiting to be called up to the Argentine NT.

In July of this year he declared the following:

http://www.ole.com.ar/boca-juniors/futbol/Roman-Schiavi-idolos_0_526147419.html

Translation:

If for whatever reason you still have doubts, did you not see his car?

[​IMG]

:p

It's obvious he realized he couldn't compete with the likes of Higuain, Aguero, Messi, etc, etc. so he just decided to accept Italy's call-up. You could tell by his declarations after the call-up that he still has a spine in his back for making that decision.

BTW, sorry for getting off topic guys.. just had to address Scotty's uncertainty.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The next time we may see Hoyos wearing the albiceleste colors will be in Toulon(If we do take an invite or get invited), since we will not be defending our 04/08 gold medals in London in the summer. He plays more of an attacking player, he was wearing the #10 in Peru in qualifiers to the U20's(Probably because Lamela was not there). We have some exceptional players do not get called up, and I doubt Argentina will call him up and cap-tie(right term?) out of spite towards the US. I probably would not be having this conversation if wasn't for his first name, or if a commentator mentioned during a game.

10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you peeked my interest, please elaborate.

11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, the name Michael is not a name that I have ever come across back home. If his name was Gastón,Cristian,Enzo,Martin that would be quite common. So when I heard it Michael and had a brother named Kevin, I became curious, and did a little research and sure enough they were born in the US. Plus later on I would hear a commentator briefly bring up he was from the US.

But hey, Lionel Messi is named after Lionel Ritchie. But again the name Lionel is normally spelled as Leonel, so it's common.

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you superMario, I thought you were going to comment about his future that you may have heard from the game's commentators.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It doesn't make a difference.

It's all business. All of it.

That's why tickets to national team games aren't free. It's why the players get paid to play for their national team or teams. It's why FIFA sells the TV rights to the World Cup for huge bucks and sponsors clamor over each other to be affiliated with national team games.

To act like it's all a business EXCEPT the players choosing whom they represent is misguided and unfair to the players. They should make business decisions just like everyone else affiliated with the sport at the national team level.

Hoyos decision to play for Argentina until they are no longer interested and to switch to the US, if possible, once Argentina's interest fades, is a good business decision by him and I can't fault him for it even though I'd much prefer he had always played for the US.

14. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are looking too much into my quote.

I am merely pointing out i hate comments like "if it doesnt pan out for County X, i can still play for Country Y".

In all honesty i would expect him to try for Argentina until the option isnt proving worth while, then try his luck for US. I am simply saying i dont want to hear that is the case. I dont fault him for his decisions, as you say it's good business, i merely dont like hearing we are their silver medals.

If he wants to try for Argentina, leave it at that. Dont mention about falling back on the US if it doesnt pan out.

EDIT* as for the "National pride making the difference", that was in reference to my opinion on the matter. I would prefer a team of players who want to rep the US. I am not saying he doesnt, he could be torn about the decision and ultimately picking the national team he grew up watching and dreaming about, though that doesnt necessarily make the US chop liver. I am just saying i'd prefer players who truly want to play, not just willing to fall back if one country doesnt pan out.

15. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Ah, you are an idealist, my friend. We need more of you in the world.

Fall-backs are common in every field, every industry, everywhere. You have fall back options for your job, your college choice, your romantic relationships, etc. That's just the world we live in. To this point, Hoyos hasn't said or done anything I disagree with or can fault him for. I for one would be quite happy to see Hoyos given a shot with the US if Argentina doesn't work out. Hope he gets healthy soon.

16. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was merely an opinion of the mindset of a player i'd like to play... of course that is not saying i wouldnt welcome him back with open arms. So long as the player improves the team, i can overlook certain aspects :p

This whole discussion has gone on for too long based mainly off my point that it is something that will be known, but not something you like to hear.

I haven't disagreed or faulted him for anything, as i have said i would expect him to do such. Just keep hush on the "if this doesnt pan out, i can always go play for that" comments.

17. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for this, i guess im one of the fortunate ones. I got my first job i applied for, i got into the first choice college i applied for and i have yet to fall back on any romantic relationships :D

I'm not sure if that states i am an over-achiever or if i know my limits :-/

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably all of the above with a bit of luck....congrats by the way :)

19. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Any update on Michael's injury status? When is he expected back in training?

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's been back, he was apart of the 2011 Pan American Games a few months back. Unless he got hurt again which I am not aware of but he is back.

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. I wonder if Ramos knows about Kevin Hoyos.

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Michael started and is playing right now vs Tigre. Estudiantes up a goal in the second half.

sakibomb523 and EXALIFTIN repped this.
  24. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news.

25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001