Kevin and Michael Hoyos in Argentina

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I believe these brothers from California are or were, as of last season, with Estudiantes de la Plata.

If you search the club's youth team blog...

http://blogdelpincha.blogspot.com/

... you'll find several mentions of both.

I believe Kevin, who was part of the U-14 program in 2006, is the older of the two.

Link:
    http://ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281205.html

Not sure their birth years but pretty sure Kevin is a 92 or 93 at the oldest.

2. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically we should hope that they develop into really good players, but no so great that the Argies could ever want them.

3. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Yep. Argentina's a freaking factory for world class players they don't need -- Trezeguet, Camaronesi, Franco, etc.

4. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.

5. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Riiiiight -- cause the US would look down its nose at a winger on a World Cup winning team who plays with one of the world's top clubs or a striker at Villarreal (the club where, it hardly needs to be pointed out, the US's top striking prospect hopes to make the bench).

6. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, you broke it.

etc - et cetera

ect - nothing. maybe ectoplasm?

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Michael was just called into the U18 end-of-year camp; he's a 91. There's no club listed by his name on the press release, though.

8. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any relation to Gabriel Hoyos at SC Freiburg?

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, the Estudiantes web site mentions a Hoyos scoring for a youth team in a couple of matches this year:

http://www.clubestudianteslp.com.ar/Home/noticias.asp?seccion=futboljuv

But I'm not sure which Hoyos (or if it might be both).

Anyone know? Again, Kevin is the older one (91) and Michael is a few years younger.

I think Gabriel Hoyos is from Florida and these guys are from California, but they could still be related I suppose.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Well at least we have one set of brothers in Argentina.........:D

11. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Michael is played today. Unfortunately I haven't seen the complete match yet but when I heard that he was from the US, I had to look him up. He comes very highly regarded from Veron so lets see how he plays this match. Hopefully he's really good and is wanted for the Argentine Youth teams but picks the US. Let's keep an eye on him.

12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

It appears Micheal is the (91) and Kevin is the (93).

13. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Ohhhh Snap!

Thats him(Michael) with the Wonder-goal vs Boca Juniors. 1:33-1:42

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqklb89xABA"]YouTube- Estudiantes La Plata 4 Boca Juniors 1 -Torneo Mar del Plata 2010.wmv[/ame]

Up the field speed dribble from beyond Mid-field with a 30-yard blast to finish it off.

Also, he started and went full 90 in the game before this one vs San Lorenzo.

14. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Thats an awesome goal! Is Kevin close to getting PT? Is Michael really 17?

15. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit!! I started watching this match last night & got sidetracked eventually turning it off. Crap I would have seen Michael's goal. I had totally forgotten Hoyos was with Estudiantes. I love the fact there are some kids with American ties playing in Argentina. The Primera Divison is one, if not, my favorite league. It's only a good thing if we have a few youngsters down there. They are willing to develop and PLAY them. It's perfect 'cause most teams have a great mix of vets and youngsters. All the talk has been Luis Gill to Europe but I'm secretly hoping he can catch on with a Boca, River, Velez, Estudiantes, or San Lorenzo.

17. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you might get your wish with Carlos Martinez

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope they want him after his trial. The Tigres option is fine but how could one pass up Boca if given a choice between the two? Martinez definitely has the talent but from what you read just needs to keep his nose clean and have a little discipline. I think he'll do well wherever he lands provided there's structure.

19. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good calls all the way through.

Back on topic: Michael is the 91 and kevin is the 93. Has Kevin gotten into the mix of any preseason action?

20. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Michael is 18. Birthdate is listed as Aug 2nd 1991. Which means hes got more than 1/2 a year left before his 19th.

21. Rockingout

Rockingout Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Los Angeles County
    Lets hope Thomas Rongen and Eric Wynalda can get this guys in to an U-20 camp soon;)

22. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    He seems to be coming up quickly in this Pre-season and rewarded his coach. If he is a starter/ regular sub-player for Estudiantes in the Clausura it might go even higher to a Possible USMNT call-up for Michael.

23. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where are the Hoyos brothers from? Someone here I believe posted something about California but last night the commentators said something about Manhattan. Now I'm not sure if they were thinking about Renato Corsi or the Hoyos brothers.

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corsi, always a good answer to a trivia question, as I believe he was the 1st Yank to play in the Primera División. He was from Mahattan, IIRC. Didn't he play for Estudiantes, too? I know he played for Argentino Jrs. just after Maradona left. Shame Corsi never suited up for the US.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Kinda amazing Bora never gave him a look, given how he was always looking for foreign-based players with US ties.

Corsi would have only been 31 during WC 94 so it's not like he was too old.

Maybe he just wasn't that good. I can't say for certain.

Back on topic, it's great to see the work of these kids pay off. So often American teens go to big clubs youth systems and are never heard of again or never come up through the ranks. Good to see that might change here.

And, I'd LOVE it if the Argentine teams started looking for American kids to develop and Americans looked at Argentina as a destination to start their career.