Kerry Accepts Shotgun He Would Ban as 'Assault Weapon'

Discussion dans 'Elections' créé par Ian McCracken, 7 Septembre 2004.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

28 Mai 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Kerry Accepts Shotgun He Would Ban as 'Assault Weapon'

RACINE, W.Va., Sept. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- The following is a press release regarding the Remington model 11-87 shotgun that Sen. John Kerry recently accepted:

At a Labor Day campaign rally yesterday, Sen. John Kerry accepted an ironic gift from a labor union representative. The gift, a Remington model 11-87 shotgun commonly used in hunting and recreational shooting enjoyed by millions of Americans, would be banned as an "assault weapon" under a bill that Kerry is co-sponsoring.

"The semi-automatic shotgun that Kerry accepted is one that he'd like to ban under his bill known as 'The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003 (S. 1431).' Kerry tells union workers that he's a hunter, but the truth is he would ban their shotguns," said Lawrence G. Keane, senior vice president and general counsel of the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF).

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

29 Avril 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging El Jefe and his macro.

3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

6 Mai 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the Assult gun ban won't be renewed does this mean I can finally get my AK-47?

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

16 Février 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, said macro wouldn't apply here.

But what they're saying is true. Here's the text of S.1431. The problem with S.1431 is that it doesn't just reauthorize the "assault weapon ban," it adds to said ban. Where it would ban the Remington 11-87 is in the following new language, which bans several semiautomatic shotguns by name:
    No Remington 11-87 in there, no problem, right? Wrong. Later on, you find the following language:
    The receiver of the Remington 11-87 gets it banned. Also, there's the following language, banning the following general types of semi-auto shotguns:
    And "a pistol grip" is defined very clearly:
    That also gets the Remington 11-87 banned.

S.1431 doesn't just reauthorize the "assault weapon ban." It widens the ban greatly, and frankly, I'm not happy that Sen. Kerry co-sponsored it. And the ease to which John Kerry was hoisted on his own petard on this issue shows why it's bad legislation.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

11 Janvier 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian: the second photo you included in the original post of this thread weakens what might otherwise be regarded as a reasonable post. Your motive slip is showing.

6. Garcia

Garcia Member

14 Décembre 1999
    Castro Castro
    No Grandfather clause?

7. Deuteriumoxide

27 Mai 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They call em street sweepers in reference to all the deer you have to "sweep" off the "street" in Los Angeles.

8. peledre

peledre Member

25 Mars 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was kind of funny.

There still is a place for a little good natured humour isn't there?

9. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

5 Septembre 2001
    Portland Oregon
    As always there is another side to the story. Kerry accepted this gun at a Labor Day rally as a union-made American product. Of course the campaign should have vetted the present but nobody is perfect.

The Kerry campaign response:

KERRY CAMPAIGN REBUTS

For Immediate Release
    September 7, 2004

FACTS SHOW ANOTHER REPUBLICAN LIE

Charleston, WV-John Kerry West Virginia Communications Director Amy Goodwin made the following statement today in response to misleading claims made by the West Virginia Republican Party and Bush campaign.

"Let's do some straight shooting on the gun issue. John Kerry's opponents are worried because he's the first Democratic candidate to support Second Amendment gun rights and to be an avid hunter.

"The facts are clear. John Kerry opposes banning this gun and always will. John Kerry was proud to receive this union-made gun at the United Mine Workers Labor Day picnic in Racine, West Virginia.

"The Republican Party and George Bush's campaign will stop at nothing to mislead voters about John Kerry's record. We challenge Bush to engage in honest debates--West Virginians deserve to hear the truth."

10. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

5 Septembre 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Alas there will be very little room for humour between now and November 2nd. People are pissed.

11. NHRef

NHRef Member+

7 Avril 2004
    Southern NH
    Kerry's response is a lie, the gun would be banned due to the "any like weapon" type of statement in his bill. Of course, when there is language like this its an open ended loophole to either ban or not ban certain guns as they see fit. Grandfather clauses on these gun bans typically only include the current owner of the grandfathered gun, so if you own it you can keep it, however you can't transfer/sell it to a child or other family member, when you die, the gun becomes illegal to own.

As for the AK47 comment, sorry, nope you can't get one even after/if the ban sunsets. AK47 is fully automatic via a selector switch and has been TIGHTLY controlled since the gun control act of 1968. However the AKS-47 which is the semi-auto equivalent looking gun, you could then get. It won't go full auto and is illegal to modify it to do so. The media either doesn't know this or just doesn't mention it.

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

11 Janvier 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and I don't really see why it's funny. Was Saddam also in favor of gun control? I mean, I know funny, and that failed to bring the funny.

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

11 Janvier 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Controlled, but not illegal. I could go out and buy a full-auto weapon if I wanted - I just have to pay a $200 stamp tax and register the weapon with the feds. There are a lot of "gotchas" you have to be careful to observe if you want to stay legal, but it is totally possible to buy a full-auto weapon.

14. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

22 Août 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Just reload the sonofabitch, you lazy indian.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

5 Novembre 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Federal Law forbids "4 in the pipe" that's why! Plugs are issued to limit rounds to three w/ one in chamber! Has been the case for some time with all shotguns sold retail! if a Game Warden catches you without a plug he can confiscate weapon!

16. NHRef

NHRef Member+

7 Avril 2004
    Southern NH
    True, though a bit more difficult than that with the required several month background check and all. Let me rephrase, the sunset of the ban will do NOTHING to the AK47 issue, something that is clouded by the media.

As for the 4 in the pipe argument, the plug is for waterfowl/migratory birds, doesn't apply to upland game, varmit, deer, which are limited to 5, 4 in the pipe, one in the chamber.

Partager cette page