Kelly Smith and Arsenal

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Nov 17, 2008.

1. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3779293

Boston Breakers Sign FIFA World Player of the Year Finalist Kelly Smith

Westwood, Mass. (February 18, 2009) - The Boston Breakers announced the signing of England National Team forward Kelly Smith to a multi-year contract this afternoon. Terms of the deals were not disclosed per team policy.

"We are delighted to have signed such a world-class, creative attacking talent such as Kelly Smith," said Breakers President and General Manager Joe Cummings. "Kelly has been playing at the top level for a long time, and I feel she will have a tremendous impact, not only on our team, but also the league."

Finally! Still not on the Breakers website but this is good enough for me!

:D

Since returning home to play for Arsenal after eight years in the United States in 2005, Smith has tallied 100 goals in 112 appearances for the London club.

BTW, that's a hell of a strike rate...and a decent sample size as well...

2. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good news right there!

WPS is attracting in most the names that people were saying they'd never get.

3. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    You beat me to it, Mike. Now about that vote of yours on the "who won't come" poll... :)

Welcome to Boston, Kelly!

4. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, yeah. I'm never living that one down huh!:eek:

Well I've never been so happy to be so wrong!!:D

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well done to the Breakers. I think she's awesome. I wanted her in Chicago. But it's not to be, except when she comes to Toyota Park as part of the visiting team.

7. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Well then I hope she puts on quite a show for you when she's there :)

Kelly's a great addition to the Breakers, both for her own skill and for what she brings to the team. Imagine how good a player like A-Rod is going to be in a couple of years, after playing with people like Lilly and Smith every day?

8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A-Rod is a blast to watch but let me counsel a little caution and a little patience so all of you don't get too disappointed. For all her spectacular talent, she is not very accurate when it comes to getting the ball on frame and that has been the case throughout her college career. She does so much so well so fast... that seems to be the one thing she hasn't brought under control at the pace at which she can do everything else. Maybe that DiCicco guy of yours can help her bring "that last little bit of composure" in order to finish.

But don't be too surprised if, at least at first, she shanks a few open shots. I'm a UCLA guy but I really don't think at this point the USC fans here would accuse me of bias on this point. I think they, too, recognize she has a tendency to miss the mark - as they themselves fretted during the last Olympics.

But what an exciting, exciting player... On the UCLA threads we've always given her her due.

9. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA