Kelly Smith and Arsenal

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was leafing through the BBC site today and stumbled upon this article about Smith's recent brace in league play for the Lady Gunners. I am hoping against hope that she comes stateside.

2. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Impatiently waiting to hear where Kelly Smith will be playing next year, I came across this article (from Nov. 21) after a google news search. It's not an answer, but it's something.

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ms. Smith was honoured by the Queen back in June:

M.B.E. - To be Ordinary Members of the Civil Division of the said Most Excellent Order:
    Ms Kelly Smith, Striker, Arsenal Ladies and England.
    For services to Football.

4. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    At this point, I seriously don't think Boston would have bothered trading for Scott if they weren't pretty damn certain they'd be signing her.

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    My daughter was there. Both players were very cool and answered many questions during their classroom session. Did some autographs, etc.

8. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
  9. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    I was sitting with another dad and we couldnt figure out who they were until after the training session.

The ODP coach introduced them to the group and they talked for 5 minutes or so, then the 2 hung out and watched the session for another hour then finished up in the classroom and answered many questions.

They each had a soda and a small package of pringles....not sure why I noticed that. :)

10. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's already begun. What's worse, kicker cuties or Breakers babes?

11. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont care what they call them...just keep calling them!

any press is good press!!:D

12. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Kelly and Alex were in luxurious Marlborough this past weekend. I'm thinking that they are both going to be signed because why on Earth would they go to ODP here when there's much more grassroots work to be done in London Town with women's/girl's soccer.
    So here's the question, what happens first, WPS Schedule announcement or the Smith/Scott signings?

13. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    What a difference a few days makes, as illustrated by your smilies of choice. We WPS fans are a pretty pessimistic bunch (maybe rightfully so), but I gotta say, I'm impressed. Since the league was announced, we've all been weary about the league's ability to draw big-name international players, and now, Marta (#2 on the "who won't come" poll) has signed, and Kelly Smith (#1 on that poll) suddenly seems all-but-inevitable.

I know they'll never be able to replicate the magic of a Meinert/Mellgren/Wiegmann/Lilly-powered offense, but this is as close as I can reasonably expect. Smith, A-Rod, Hucles, Lilly, Latham... is it April yet?

Hopefully both, soon. With the Carney-Red Stars announcement today and the release of MLS's schedule, I have to imagine they can't be too far off.

14. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article in today's Guardian about Smith.
    Local heroes: Kelly Smith
    Interview by Anna Kessel

15. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fairgamemag.com/eng/fair_game_blog/the_floodgates_are_open

Another bit of encouraging news from Gayle Bryan and Fairgame Magazine...

League sources indicate that fans should expect announcements of deals with big name players Kelly Smith of England and Cristiane of Brazil soon, as negotiations with both players are proceeding extremely well...

One of these days we'll get the shot of her holding her Breakers jersey at Harvard Stadium....

:D

16. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Arsenal has a women's football team...!

19. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they do....

And apparently they're too cheap to keep the best english women's footballer in history on their side of the pond...:p

On another note...As it says in the BBC article, they contract (that has yet to be confirmed by WPS or the Breakers) has a clause they she (and the other England Int'ls) will be released for the Euro warmups...

I'm sure the schedules for these friendlies hasn't been set yet...Let's hope it doesn't conflict with us too much...Let's hope their last friendly is before August 15th

WPS Final - August 22nd

First England Euro 09 match - August 25th

20. Youssef Youmas

Youssef Youmas New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Kelly smith not yet official for boston look at arsenal site and no news yet on wps side..

21. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's strange that the Breakers are still silent, but the alleged signing made the New York Times Goal blog yesterday.

22. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    The article headline says she is "to" sign. I suspect the Breakers will announce when she actually signs.;)

23. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume there is some sort of snag. I'm sure they would have liked to time an announcement about Kelly to go along with the start of ticket sales.

24. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams generally are the last to announce a deal. Sources leak the information to the press and that's why we hear about it before it's officially announced. A lot of things go into signing players, and they may be still working on details about the contract (especially regarding the releasing the player for England matches). Plus the contract and paperwork has to be approved by the WPS and I'm sure Arsenal has some say in this so there are many things left to do. That being said, I can't imagine it'll take much longer, especially with preseason starting soon.