Keller, Bocanegra, Dempsey: Wigan v Fulham (09/15) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Clint Eastwood, Sep 15, 2007.

1. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    He intentionally didn't look up. He was trying to catch the goalie napping in a sense.

I think the whole gamble Clint made was to shoot the ball quickly and catch the keeper still coming out to narrow the angle (thus my comment about dead foot on the goalie...a valid gamble by Clint..I won't guess the odds, but one does see this work), VERSUS settling, taking a 1/2 sec and blasting.

The latter a strategy can also can also work, but you can also get the ball stripped by an on-coming defender, blocked by goalie or sky it either high or wide.

I agree with you he could have done a little (not a lot) better, but since he did a really good job in getting in position to create the chance from midfield to begin with- can't fault him too much. It never was silver platter stuff, and he didn't totally blow the shot either. Oh well...

2. deek_md

deek_md New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Orange County
    I am not sure if I believe this is all anti-American driven, but I do laugh at how even on our own precious BS board, people focus on all of the misses. I mean, 3 games --> 3 goals. Best player on the Fulham squad so far. One of the better finishers in the EPL at this point. And people are critical of his work product????

I dont get it.. what strike % are people expecting? I would think 10% in the goal is pretty damn good.. 4-5 shots/game, that is a goal every other game. What would make people happy? 60%? 80%? 100%? (oh no, that last one is waaay too unrealistic).. At least the f'er is taking shots and scoring in the Prem.

So far this season, the general impression of Demps from Fulhamfc.com and British media is as follows:

1. over-rated, unmotivated, cant kick his way out of a paper bag -->
    2. unbelievable, magic on the ball, great finisher, most exciting player on Fulham-->
    3. how many easy shots can the wanker miss?

I predict, over the next 2 rounds, he will be called the next Ronaldhino (or Ameridhino). Then over the next 2 rounds he will be called the most wasteful, flash in the pan ever in the Prem. And the cycle will continue. For ever.

So, I dont buy into it. I just watch him, smile when I see his name on the scoreboard, and continue hoping that he will grow in skill and stature over the next few seasons.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Just for the record, BBC mentions Howard's two missed headers in the first 3 or 4 paragraphs and discusses Miller's "stage fright" in the box or some such hackneyed cliche in the opening paragraph or two.

So, I sit back and read the "us poor Americans, they all fixate on how we suck and no one" and then I spit warm Pabst Blue Ribbon out my nose (while firing a semi-automatic glock, of course) and beat my wives.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It was actually the way he settled the ball.

Him being a right-footer, he should have settled Kamara's pass with the outside of his left foot (without letting it rebound too far toward the defender). That should have allowed him to shoot the ball in stride with two more steps.

He took it with the inside of his left foot and that pushed him too wide and far right. Kirkland saw that, came out to cut down the angle and managed to get his foot on it.

I am not sure an experienced striker takes that shot. With the keeper coming out that far, many would hit it hard and high and try to blow it past him.

But, if you wanted to go low to the far corner, you need to hit it with the outside of your right foot or with the inside of your left and aim into the side netting. Clint chose the instep/top of the foot, which resulted in a straight shot.

5. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

http://www.footytube.com/2007/09/15/wigan-vs-fulham/

Are you talking about the chance from this video? If so, I don't understand several of your comments (they don't make sense in this context)

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hehe ... he did take take it with his right instep, which took him to his right and only took one step before the shot ... for some reasons, it seemed more ... I think I was right on the shot however.

I must stop watching those one inch Flash videos off Fox's site.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Glad I got to see the highlight. 'Sitter' my arse. To beat the keeper he would he have needed to go upper 90, like Owen in WC France '98. Definately not 'standard'.

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I actually didn't see a kick save - it looked to me like he hit the goalie in the chest.

9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Again - this is just silly. He's a not yet established player at a level that he has not yet proven he can consistently perform at. If you want to pretend that a successful 3 games answers those questions, be my guest, but forgive those of us who do want to examine his play in further detail. His own coach said that Dempsey himself probably wishes he had gotten 1 or 2 more in this game.

Like I said to the other guy, it's fine if you are content with this level of fandom, but some of us think the unexamined YA isn't worth following and we aren't content to just lie back and think of England, so to speak.

10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Oh it was definitely a kick save on a shot heading low and to the far post. It was basically a coin flip whether a shot like that gets past the keeper, which is why I thought Clint was unlucky on that one.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7107088

It made the 3rd best "Save of the Week" (small video screen but they slo-mo the replay).

Not sure if it was as deserved as other saves ... Kirkland stood his ground and didn't really move much ... Clint semeed to have scuffed it a little ... but it was definitely going in.

PS. Guess who made the "top save"?

12. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Oops - you're right. I see why voros said earlier he had less of a problem with the shot. That'll learn me to try to form an opinion based on such small video.

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    The beauty of not having established himself as Wayne Rooney is that he also hasn't established himself as Andriy Shevchenko in the EPL. To the extent that you believe that Rooney deserves different standards for having established himself as a proven striker, Dempsey would conversely deserve to be shielded from being over-scrutinized since he hasn't established himself as a bad striker.

Yes, Dempsey hasn't established himself in either direction...b/c he really just started playing in the EPL. Go figure.

He's establishing himself as we speak. He may very well turn out to be a dud. But given his record so far, there's no logical reason to be any more critical of the guy than one would of any other player in the EPL.

15. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago

4 goals in the equivalent of 7 full games on a crap team like Fulham, often playing out of position. What a scrub. Back to MLS, Clint.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Deserves to be shielded from over-scrutinization? What does that mean? No logical reason to be more critical of the guy than any other player in the EPL? Honestly, is this a serious discussion?

We have 20 page threads on Adu when he doesn't make the bench. Anaylzing the play of our players is a big part of this forum and will likely continue to be that way, even if Dempsey someday is a star for ManU.

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Who said anything like that?

18. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Did I say anyone said anything like that?

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Who said you said anyone said anything like that?

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I just have to say "what he said." Which is not to say "I just have to say what he said."

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    10% is horrible, 17% is average, 20% is good, 25% is great, 33% is Ruud van Nistelrooy territory.

22. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Yeah, analyze away. Take note however that one aspect of analyzing US players is how they are generally scrutinized as players in Europe by the press/fans here and abroad. That is the aspect which I'm addressing.

If the phenomenon that I speak of is hard for you to understand, then I'm not sure how to help you with your failure to comprehend. Fact is, many recognize this issue and I've even heard of it mentioned by the players themselves from time to time. Nobody's saying you don't have a right to deny the existence of the problem. You're free to do so.

23. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
  24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    50% would be in Gerd Müller's territory.

25. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    No, you just sound like you are a preening, argumentative, nitpicking killjoy.
    Which, in fact, you are. About everything.