Keep United in DC March MAY 9!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Debug123, Apr 10, 2009.

1. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Re: Keep United in DC March MAY 2?

So playing the Devil's Advocate, but what if the front office does not want this event? What if they have already decided that this is the last season here? Do you think they would tell us that?

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor Debbie Downer?

3. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Qft!

4. rockusDCU

rockusDCU New Member

May 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The post 2nd above this (or before depending on where my post lands) was great:D

5. rockusDCU

rockusDCU New Member

May 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And to continue: If the Toronto fans would not join us if we did it on May 9 then why bother for national tv coverage that others want. Again, I think it is a local issue that would do better with local CSN coverage, but with another supporters group, rather than on national tv. And do most ppl even get FSN? I ask cause idk, I have dish.

6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Excellent idea, most appropriate.

Also very good. We've got some great sloganeers!

I think we have a third winner, too. Lest anyone think we are trying to stay in RFK, it could be changed to:

"All we are saying is, let us build in DC"
    "All we are saying is,
    let us build in DC"

7. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC

The supporters groups will be meeting with the FO this week. So we'll know then. And yes, I think they would tell us.

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On FFFin they just said DC United might be moving to St. Louis????

9. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Stopped reading here.

Seriously, those guys are for the most part idiots when it comes to MLS.

10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Considering how well the FO has done on this whole goatrope so far, I really don't think they are in any position to tell the fans of this team anything.

11. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you, this had to be said! We've all patiently sat around offering our help over the years but we got the "thanks, but no thanks". It's really hard to fathom that the team didn't tap into the supporter base to help with this stuff (especially in this town where we're flush with people who have connections and political expertise). I'm really pissed off at them at how poorly the PGC deal was executed.

K

12. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Brilliant!

People on our own forum have only been thinking it might happen for, what, over a year now?

13. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Cohen looked absolutely clueless (with a look of fright) when the guy called in about the DC stadium situation. Cohen also went on about "Bappa" from Chicago. Unfortunately, I suspect DCU will not be too worried about Mr. Bappa when playing the Fire.;)

14. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah... any US based show that has a host wearing a chelsea kit every week is just about useless to me... i could run a better show in lot 8 with a few of my drunk pals-- that dont speak english.

15. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Cohen had a really fugly Sounders T-shirt on. They tried to kill a lot of time, before they got Dom Kinnear on the phone.

16. Ali the Soccer cat

Ali the Soccer cat New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Adams Morgan, DC

Gold

17. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Qft!

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

uh - so then I guess we can safely assume DC United will build their own stadium here in the near future

19. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Confused this guy:
    [​IMG]

With this guy:
    [​IMG]

Easy mistake to make. They pretty much dress the same.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not a regular viewer of the show but I do turn in from time to time, and I watched the first half last night.

It was funny, and almost embarassing...I got the distinct impression that they had orders to start faking an interest in MLS toot sweet...they were trying very, very hard to make like they follow the league closely and with real interest. It was a decent effort if you didn't know their track record, but it was almost as staged and stilted as their "interview" with some head of programming from FSC about the acquisition of the Champions League; it was essentially an infomercial for their own network.

21. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe we can get a shout out on Setanna's Special1 TV:

Jose: This just in. Disturbing news from over the pond. DC United, one of the top teams in the MLS, is having trouble building their own stadium. What do you make of that Wayne?

Wayne: I think what we have heeere is a bit of coonfooshion with the terms. DC Yoonited wants to build their stadium near Washingtoon, DC in Mary-land. But there's already a football stadium in Mary-land and the locals don't want another stadium. But that stadium is for American football, not real football. So DC Yoonited needs a real football stadium, not an American football stadium.

Jose: Now you've got me confused. Sven, did you understand any of that?

Sven: Uh...

Jose: Thank you Sven. Now on to e-mails.

:D

22. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United

Shutup Deb
    :)

23. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since FFFin came on the air it has basically been a 2 hour edutisement for whatever matches FSC is schlocking that week. Which I don't mind too much, except for when there's pretty major news coming from a league that FSC doesn't televise, and they never mention it.

But it comes on the same time as 24, and it's not worth recording so I never watch it anymore. It was better on Fridays.

The WSD radio show is the real deal, and where they almost never talk about MLS.

The two things you will always know by the end of a FFFin is that "Mikey" in NJ loves Chelsea, and the precise FSC live match schedule for the coming week.

I think FSC would love to cover a march in their pre-game show, but I don't imagine it would do our situation any good, other than maybe looking good on tv, for the few who are watching.

Hey I have an additional idea, what if in this march we make it also a march to raise funds or goods for United for DC or something? That will help get local media attention? Or channel the charity toward currently pressing needs related to the economy?

24. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FSC is still just a public-access cable channel that happens to show soccer games.

25. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134

I don't know anything about any "supporters groups meeting" this week, although I'm certainly willing to participate. I'd guess if the team wanted to schedule a joint thing like this they'd probably tell me about it, hopefully at least 15 minutes before so I can get over there on time :D

That said, I have spoken and traded messages with people on this issue, and I know that DCU is on board with us going forward with this idea.

This next part doesn't come from the team, this comes from me as president of the SEs. The messages we send as fans when we do this march are going to be very important. If we send a message that ties the team to only one jurisdiction (even though I think we all would prefer the site in DC), we will not be helping. If John Q. Taxpayer perceives us as a bunch of scary English soccer hooligans, we will not be helping.

This march isn't for us, it's for fence-sitters and people who haven't paid attention to this issue before. It's going to be all of our responsibility as SG leaders and members to make sure that that's the message we send.