Keep United in DC March MAY 9!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Debug123, Apr 10, 2009.

1. D.C. Beast

D.C. Beast New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    DC
    Re: Keep United in DC March MAY 2?

Why not have it on both days? or have a banner ready from today, and on foward. We should use every game to our advantage. That way we will def. get some notice, and have our voice be heard.

2. Redly

Redly New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

They did mentioned the subject of our new stadium on FSC's Super Sunday show this afternoon. That might bode well for the effort and actually get soe coverage of the march.

3. sussexcentralsoccer

Nov 6, 2005
    Bethany Beach
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyone who is lyrically inclined should come up with a song for the occasion

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

"I'm forever hating Fenty" to the tune of "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"?

5. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC

I know no one wants to sit around on their thumbs, but what is the goal of the march? I feel pretty confident MLS and the FO know that Barra, SE and La Norte want United to remain in the area. The local politicians are probably clued into this as well. I also think that they additionally know that 15 - 20 thousand people would attend local games. I guess what I'm getting at is the fact that the march is just cathartic and to think otherwise is denial.
    signed,
    Debbie Downer

6. sussexcentralsoccer

Nov 6, 2005
    Bethany Beach
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the forever hating fenty idea, i was also thinking in my head something along the lines of wherever we roam we will always need a home.... then something about being in the capital

7. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTNP3Yx4f-Q&feature=related"]YouTube - We shall not be moved[/ame]

:p

8. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the date on that should be TBA, and not solidly may 2nd. The date has not been set just yet.

Personally, I like the may 9th idea, with help from the TFC supporters. I will show up for either, but my vote goes to May 9th.

9. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

changed to TBA.... will change again when it is announced.

10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, if we can get this done on May 2nd, then there is a good chance of some decent nationwide television coverage - at least as part of FSC's pregame show.

We don't get that on May 9th.

11. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mrs Downer, do you have a better idea? If not, please join us in our march, its the best we came up with and its SOMETHING to get our side out there.

and i dont think we need to come up with any new songs... we should turn the streets of DC into the supporter's side.

12. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA

I'm not sure I see too much value in having coverage on FSC. It would look great to see some footage on FSC, and I'm sure the commentators would, well, commentate on it...But it seems to me that it would be more important to hold it on a week where you can organize the largest number as possible. Isn't the purpose of this to show the city of DC how much the fans want the team to stay in the city? Seems to me like that message gets across easier with a larger number of people marching.

13. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000

OK, don't get me wrong. I'll join the parade. But I agree with the comment about needing to focus strategy and message here. And to me, it's a little late to be saying "build us a stadium" lest we want to look like the group holding the short end of the stick and having a little pout, because this dog's day is over, IMHO.
    However, a different approach would be to get a permit and protest near the mayor's house up off of 16th Street near Carter Baron Park. THAT would get media attention, and rather than just being a march that looks like we're mourning an idea who's time has past, we can be instead sending a message to voters that re-electing Fenty means approving of broken promises. We must make him accountable for this and then maybe we'll have the hope that he'll be more open to courting the team back.
    I just think marching up to the stadium on East Capitol looks like the losers in the stadium issue on parade. But again, if this is the best we can do I'm in, as I too am a loser!

14. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just an FYI for people who want to ask Fenty in person-

Mayor Fenty to be Featured at Meeting in Kalorama

Thu., Apr. 16 (7pm): The Kalorama Citizens Association (KCA) will be hosting MAYOR FENTY as its monthly meeting’s featured speaker Good Will Baptist Church (1862 Kalorama Rd., NW), followed by a question and answer period. All are invited. For more info, call KCA president, Denis James, at 232-8829.

K

15. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC

This is more towards the point I was trying to make, the fans want the team to stay, the ownership group wants a stadium to be more profitable, what is needed is leverage on the politicians. How to we best get that leverage?

16. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville

I see Rjbatzler beat me to it, but I most heartily agree, as I was thinking of this all afternoon. A staple of civil rights and antiwar marches of my generation, "We Shall not be Moved", is uniquely suited to our situation, and would make a great club song as well, speaking to the firm will and fortitude of the club's supporters.
    We shall not be,
    We shall not be moved.
    We shall not be,
    We shall not be moved.
    Like a tree that's planted by the water,
    We shall not be moved.

asitis

17. rockusDCU

rockusDCU New Member

May 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really hate to bring this up, but we are not trying to get leverage. That sounds like a blackmail type of term. The best we can do is to petition these elected officials. It is one thing to say we need a purpose and to know what we want to accomplish. So do we want to stay in DC, in RFK (with a better deal and I know its not forever), or going back to Poplar Point? (BTW I could read and see if PP is even an option)

In the end we just have to make ourselves heard. If we have to march once a month, every home game, or every weekend so we can keep our concerns in the heads of the DC officials.

18. Mighty!

Mighty! Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United

[​IMG]

I would be happy to provide the above banner. The "Fenty" part can be taken off if need be....

19. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since a lot of people don't realize that RFK is not a long term option:
    (to london bridges)
    RFK is falling down
    Falling down
    Falling down
    RFK is falling down
    Come on Fenty

:D

20. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC

Okay maybe a bad choice of words, but the politicians have already been petitioned and said no. We've got to change their minds and 2000 constituents (probably much less in PGC)won't do that. The public needs to be swayed that this isn't just another rich owner wanting joe publics money to make him even richer (even though it is). The point has to be made that DCU wants nothing more than any other industry could expect to locate, tax breaks, infrastructure, etc.. The jobs created, the good community service by the Club, these are the things that need to be emphasized. What does the community gain with DCU and what do they lose without them.
    By the way these are all things that the FO should be doing and they should be contacting the supporter groups with work to do and a message to stay on.

21. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC

And to lighten things up a little, it may be enough "leverage" to point out that you probably don't want a World where the Brava has no place to direct their unique skills and energy.

The whole blackmail, leverage, extortion thing has always been confusing to me.

22. rockusDCU

rockusDCU New Member

May 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess the point I am trying to make is this. What else can we do? In all my dealings with politician it has boiled down to 1) Writing letters or emails, 2) Calling their offices on the phone, or 3) A protest/march. Then just hoping they would do what I want. And you keep doing these things till you get your way. I know it sounds like a terrible child banging his head on the floor and screaming, but its not like we can overthrow the DC govt like the Thai do every other week in their country:rolleyes:.

But if there is something else we can do then I am all for it.

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I think you guys are missing the point. We want a massive turnout for Fenty and the DC Council to see. We want the team to stay in DC, Fenty (although he's probably blowing smoke) said when the PG County deal was announced that he wanted the team in DC. Marion Barry was steamed and said so publically, so did some council members. Maybe it IS too little too late but we refuse to do nothing. The people that are commited to seeing this thing thru will do whatever it takes to keep our team from leaving. If you guys want to argue semantics or politics, feel free. That's what this forum is for. People on board with this idea plan to generate enough positive noise to be heard throughout the Metro area. It's also a chance to counterpoint all the negative press this situation has generated. If anyone gets a mike or a notepad put in front of their face they can set the record straight on Marc Fisher's blatant lies or David Nakamura's slanted reporting.

This more than anytihing is a chance for DC to see how much this team means to a couple of thousand people. It's going to be a challenge to get that many fans there but there are plenty of people commited to making that happen.

24. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the real key is the number of feet on the street. I don't care if it happens in September, as long as we get the maximum turnout possible.

In my humble opinion.

And I have to be honest about it, but it's getting increasingly difficult to get more casual fans engaed in this sort of thing as this process has dragged on. I mean, we've had petitions, letter writing campaigns, join this social group, joine this one, comes to games, spend money, etc etc, and we've basically got jack to show for it and at some point people are going to lose enthusiasm for it all.

25. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC

This is exactly my point. Not anyone who gets a mike put in front of their face can set the record straight! Give us some talking points!