Keep United in DC March MAY 9!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Debug123, Apr 10, 2009.

1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Are you Nathan's sockpuppet? :D

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Taxes that DC United generates from all sources have been going to DC for years but that so far hasn't convinced DC or any other local jurisdiction to keep us around.

The reason that the march is important is that it shows that real people care about and love DC United & it's important. If its just reduced to dollars & cents, we can be replaced by a office building or a shopping mall.

3. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Re: Keep United in DC March MAY 2?

[​IMG]

It was a run!..last week in Frederick. My one-man stadium march for 26.2 miles. It was great getting the DCU supporters cheering me on. I'll be there tomorrow. Oh, as I posted on Goff's blog, please patronize our Cap Hill businesses especially Las Placitas Salvadoran on 8th street, outstanding cuisine and DCU supporters.

4. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Commish makes mention of the rally:
    Hmmm. I wonder if that second paragraph is a commentary on the vision and commitment of our ownership or our public officials...or both?

Well, at least we fans have the vision and commitment.

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Both. The City has yet to publicly make an effort to keep DC in town (Jack Johnson did). Fenty hasn't "leaked" any proposals to Nakamura about the city's willingness to accept a stadium deal for X. We also haven't publicly seen DCU negotiate. One proposal to DC and one to PG. We can only guess that these things are happening, but it goes back to that cliche. If a tree falls in the forest, but no one is around, does it make a sound?

6. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I noted that Patapon 2 is out this weekend - and now I'm imagining a drummer going pon-pon-pata-pon as the black-clad ones march along...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3ZQRfjreM"]patapatapatapooooooon![/ame]

7. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, ever since I showed my wife the team store, she's been on a 'keep United in DC March' every game-day.

I just did a report from Quicken, and I've found that I've spent over $18,000 on DC United tickets, parking, concessions, and merchandise since 1996.

Wow.

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    cheap-skate! :D

I spent nearly that same amount at the last DCU equipment sale! :eek:

9. Arlington4United

Arlington4United New Member

Jun 28, 2008
    off topic but why is DCU still charging jersey for $70 when we can buy Manchester United jersey for $40? Don't they have sense to lower down to meet the need for people who wants to buy but can't afford that exessive fee? Seems like a logical idea to me to sell more if you lower down a bit.

10. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, first of all why would you waste $40 on a MU jersey? Expensive toilet paper? :D

I think MU does a volume business that puts ours to shame and can probably more readily afford $40 tops, especially when you have like a new primary home jersey and five change strips every season.

11. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He needs to comment on himself for approving the sale of DC United to these real estate speculators. The issue with DC United, this ownership and local governments is our owners just don't want a stadium but a development opportunity and only want to put up a minimum of money for a maximum result. Garber approved the sale of DC United to these owners. He should check himself first.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Seen some preliminary pics on facebook that look like a pretty decent turnout.

13. DCUtool

DCUtool Member

May 18, 2007
    So-Cal
    It's probably mostly because AIG isn't sponsoring Man U next year (I think I read that somewhere) so they're just trying to unload as many Man U jersey's as they can before they get new uni's.

14. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually if they're the AIG ones, $30 has already been subsidized by a bailout deal.

15. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    Good to see the Toronto folks marching.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
  17. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's telling that there was no coverage in the Washington Post newspaper. (At least there wasn't in mine, this morning.) There was an un-narrated video clip on Goff's blog.

I do expect that if there is eventual coverage in the WP, it will be by Marc Fisher or David Nakamura, and will not be positive - or even neutral.

18. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we did get a spot on wtop. i heard it last night.

19. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got home just in time to check out the local network news programs for coverage. Channel 4 covered the game but not the march. Channel 9 had both. 7 had nothing.

ABC (locally) hates DC United.

As to Payne's comments, I was disappointed that, when talking about needing fan support with the politicians he seemed to see the FO taking the lead and would let us know when we should be in contact with our representatives. Uh, Kevin, we've been at that much longer than, apparently, the FO has. Why no mention at all about what we have already done? You, my friend, have pretty much screwed the pooch to date. We've tried to get ahead of the game.

The political lobbying by fans has been led by fans. I think we were far in front of the FO on this and am pissed that I heard no acknowledgment.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I thought we might, since I saw him walking around with the mic. He was the only media guy I remember seeing whose affiliation was obvious. There were at least a couple others with press pass-looking lanyards on, but I couldn't see who they worked for.

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    So in that line, when are we going to do this again/what are we doing next?

We should maybe set up a group, somewhat like Soccer Silicon Valley in SJ, for those with the aim of keeping United in the area. WIth an umbrella group, it doesn't have to be the Barra operation that it basically was (I'm and Eagle myself, but my informal survey was that Barra participation outnumbered everyone else by about 4 or 5 to 1). If we can get everyone else that wants to see the team stay around get involved, we could grow this thing a lot.

I think with good organization and more notice, we could do another rally that can go over even better (I don't think it went half bad in the end) than we did yesterday. Pick one of those dates that everyone is going to be there (obvious choices: Beckham game, home finale).

There are other activities we could do as well. One idea that jumps to mind is maybe getting some corporate partners in the sense of bars and businesses that have good relations with the team and/or fans. We may not get any financial support there, but it would add a bit of cachet to have some local businesses on board.

22. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and local businesses which local politicans see as important. We really need to have them on board.

The question: who are they?

And then, how to get their cooperation.