Keane in the Media

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Pegasus503, Aug 19, 2011.

1. cardude

cardude New Member

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because Barrett is paid less does not make him a good alternative (even when Keane isn't producing on paper). Barrett has the touch of rhinoceros and consistently loses possession. I totally understand that Keane isn't playing well and that is frustrating but this isn't one of those 100/50 (skill/pay) = 2/1. Barrett is awful and even Keane in bad form is better than Barrett with a lucky pass to Noonan.

Berks repped this.
  2. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Where are those great goals he scored for Villa on his loan? He's nowhere close to that form. Buddle is at least busting his ass every game. Keane certainly is not. We know that when Keane is gone Barrett is going to put forth greater effort. It may not amount to much but at least I'll be yelling at my tv for different reason than Keane's lack of effort.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You misunderstand. Nobody ever said Barrett is a "good" alternative. What I DID say was that, on current form, Keane's absence was not so significant. And characterizing Barrett's assist a "lucky" simply demonstrates that you are willing to disregard good things he does in order to maintain your negative view of him. I sure hope Barrett (and Keane) manage a few "lucky" goals and assists, for the good of the team. Lord knows we need the production!

4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hang on... a few games ago people were raving about Keane being the player showing the most desire in the team. A few quiet games and now he's lacking effort?

I think there's frustration and I've never been a fan of his animated remonstrating when he thinks a teammate has missed a great run he's made.

However, I don't perceive laziness from him.

juniorLA, Berks and The Cadaver repped this.
  5. cardude

cardude New Member

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'll concede that was fun to watch a good pass to Noonan. But how often do you think that will happen? Do you remember the Sounders game, first 60 or so minutes, when Barrett knocked the ball out of bounds nearly every touch, made such a terrible first touch that you're sure it was a pass to nobody, or simply shot the ball at the moon rather than the goal? I know Keane is playing poorly but again, Keane in his worst form is much better than Barrett in his best.

juniorLA, Berks and kaburu repped this.
  6. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure that is true. But, in any event, I venture to say we haven't seen either one.

On recent form, there is nothing to choose between them in terms of productivity. Nice first touches resulting in NOTHING may be aesthetically pleasing, but that's about it. I am not now and never have been of the view that Barrett is "the answer" or the best thing since the iPad. All I'm saying is that Keane's jaunt to Europe doesn't hurt LAG much given his lack of production.

7. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. cardude

cardude New Member

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good first isn't just aesthetically pleasing it keeps possession of the ball and doesn't give the other team a chance to counter with out men starting to press up *thinking* (in the case of Barrett) the forwards will maintain possession.

9. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, so true. Maybe we should open up this DP slot this summer if he continues his drought.

10. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A little "kneejerk" don't you think?

3 goals and 2 assists in 8 games isn't bad, especially in a team having a run like this.

On that logic, Beckham would be on his way out already. After all, his role on the team is to set players up. On top of that, he takes every corner and every freekick in a remotely offensive position. Despite this he's managed only two assists all season.

juniorLA repped this.
  11. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. I re-watched the Montreal game. Somebody please explain to me what the devil Keane thought he was doing during that sequence at about the 63rd minute where he takes his time, pulls the ball back, and gives Ricketts ample time to get back into position for a stop???? Can Keane really think he has that much time? Or is his confidence so shot that he can't just let it rip at a wide open net? Yes he has three goals - an early season flurry - but this is ridiculous. This is not the player we saw in the EPL and makes me think he expected an easy ride here. I supported the acquisition based on his proven quality, but we sure haven't seen that quality in a month and a half.

hav77 and Geneva repped this.
  12. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Since Keane has been here, the thought has crossed my mind that he really doesn't respect the league much. You can see it in his play and his mannerisms out there. Say what you will about Henry, but the differences between the he and Keane and how they approach the game are night and day...

13. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be surprised to see Keane leave in the summer. Especially if our form keeps up.

14. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about HIS form, not OURS?

If HIS form keeps up, and he wants to go elsewhere, I would be happy to see us shop the DP market at the summer transfer.

Cyclonis and ssanchez repped this.
  15. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and disagree. Our Midfield play this season has been nothing short of Putrid and likewise to the service in. I will say that he has been subpar since a very solid start, but he certainly has not had many opportunities. Our style of play right now, as a team is simply not creating chances. It has to change and hopefully pairing Landon and Keane up top together will yield stronger results.

juniorLA repped this.
  16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. All of you kicking him to the curb and making giant assumptions about his impressions about MLS need to take a chill pill.

Just a couple of weeks ago we were praising his work rate. He looks and sounds like he wants to win. Give it time. I'm not ready to abandon him.

juniorLA and The Cadaver repped this.
  17. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am disappointed, NOT kicking him under the bus. HOWEVER, when he has the ball and stands around in the 18 yard box contemplating a shot while he writes his memoirs (See min 62-63 of the Montreal match) you CANNOT blame that on the mid-field play. I am judging him on what he has done with his chances - which is NADA for better than a month, NOT judging him on the chances he doesn't get. He's beginning to blow his chances with an Alan Gordon-like regularity and that had disillusioned me. I thought he was a finisher and we are not seeing that.

18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To me, the old "creativity" complaint is an example of our form magnifying any and all problems. Creativity is the one area we've fallen short throughout Arena's tenure. We've always created just enough chances to grind out a goal or two in most games, but how often since 2009 has this team torn a defence apart?

I'm with Cadaver: if we were putting away the chances we've had at an adequate rate, we'd be in a much better position. Keane (who truth be told, has always been a streaky finisher) is indeed a culprit.

However, he's also as talented as we could hope to attract with more to his game than finishing. This is a minor drought (again, magnified by the circumstances) and hardly cause to cast him aside.

19. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus there was that AWFUL penalty attempt a few games back...can't blame that on the midfield either

20. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's a fair summary.

21. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keano sporadically plays and I bet you he won't be back from the Euros. His time playing in the EPL spoiled him and I can see him wanting a return to get away from a last place MLS team.

22. anti_madridista

May 10, 2011
    California, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Robbie is at least better than Buddle...Buddle looks like Andy Carroll out there, completely useless

23. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now why couldn't they have given you the England job?

24. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States