Keane in the Media

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Pegasus503, Aug 19, 2011.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Watch out for the petard.

2. tys0n28

tys0n28 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't like his use of they and their in the quotes. I'd rather see we and us:

3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doh - the international FIFA date, totally forgot. Yup, we'll get him back after that, thanks for the reminder. That week before 3/7 is going to be crucial in terms of training.

And again - NO INJURIES.

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point and you probably already know this, but as a matter of interest the distinction is not between "tabloids" and "newspapers." There are some "tabloids" which are in fact decent "newspapers" in your sense. However, technically, the size distinction is between tabloids and broadsheets - a rather neat and useful word I think.

5. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Actually, I think it's you who attempted to place the petard and instead got hoisted by it. There is a long history of the British press doing a bad job quoting sources, and that includes papers you would consider more reputable than tabloids. That's in part due to structural considerations involving differences in copyright laws and differences (some stronger/some weaker) in libel/defamation. It's also cultural dealing with permissiveness about conjecture in reporting. You can see a small example of this in the controversy over the failure to quote or cite Grant Wahl's book in a variety of British papers, including your esteemed Guardian, in the discussion of Beckham's time with the Galaxy. Here is a brief synposis of that controversy:

http://intelligentsoccer.com/?p=325

1 person likes this.
  6. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    I don't think McLeish will still be the Villa manager in the summer as he is despised by most of their fans. So he won't be buying Keane.

7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our Scott French covered this story, with a quote from McLeish I hadn't seen before:

I LOL'd. We are so glamorous. and world-class.

8. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is actually pretty awesome. =) Thanks for sharing that.

If you think about it, though, flying between LA, Chicago, Seattle, NY, and all that is a lot cooler (in perception at least) do taking a bus to Stoke in the rain.

9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is true. The Guardian is very biased towards leftwing politics. Notice the slant in any article with a link to "Corporate America".

Be careful about that publication - they're more subtle about it, but in reality they are just as biased towards their own politics as the Dail Mail is to conservatism.

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you say "jetting" you can have a "world-class" connotation. Actually "jetting" loses the excitement value the first time the TSA goes up into your crotch! (OK, second time.) :eek:

12. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe for you. I opt for the free handy every time. ;)

13. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trap wants to make Robbie his Totti

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Which is lovely and all, and an honest good luck to the Boys In Green, but the bottom part is my personal favorite:

14. tehphil

tehphil Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or when you're "jetting" to exotic places like Buck Shaw Stadium :D

15. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although to be fair if you "jet" to San Jose you are gonna fly right by it.

16. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    She doesn't sound too thrilled about being in LA. Hope it grows on her like it has the Beckhams.

19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just took it that she's still settling in. Enjoying parts, but also missing parts of where she's come from. That's normal.

The thing with the US and Great Britain is when something is culturally similar, it's very similar. When it's different, it's very different.

20. GalaxyMike

GalaxyMike Member

Nov 26, 2007
    The City of Angels
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, kind of has the sound of it from the quote, but give her a summer in L.A. and she'll have changed her tune. It's hard making new friends in L.A., everything is so dispersed and unlike the U.K., there are few neighborhood pubs and eateries and such that one could become a regular at. Mulholland drive isn't the type of place with neighborhood barbecues and such either.

But a wife could have a lot of say as to what their hubby does, hopefully she does get to like it here and wants Robbie to stay versus the opposite.

21. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not too worried about this. Southern California tends to grow on you, particularly if you can afford to hang out in the kind of places that the Keane's can afford. It's always a big deal to make a move to a new country, but it's not like some Brazilian player leaving the sun and fun of home for a 3 year stay in Manchester and regretting never getting to see clear skies and warm weather....SoCal is pretty hard to dislike once you get used to it.

22. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't his wife the one who wanted to move here in the first place?

It does take some time to adjust to LA. Also, since moving here, she hasn't had her husband around a lot. It should be a bit better for her now, at least until the Euros start this summer.