Kansas City donates naming rights to Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Felixx219, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    :
    Mainly a search engine-optimization organization.

Totoro and AmeriSnob repped this.
  3. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    There is more. Barça members would never allow a sponsorship in their shirt. The administration invented a good cause to brake the opposition. When people got used to see a name written across Barça's shirt chest, they signed Qatar. By then, everybody thought that receiving money instead of paying was a great thing! Pure Machiavellism...

4. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The Livestrong sign was taken down last night...

[​IMG]

That was quick.

SYoshonis, Kejsare, Sandon Mibut and 2 others repped this.
  5. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    I'm sure you're putting your CPA and CFA certifications to good use with that analysis.

On behalf of logic everywhere, please only offer opinions about topics you're qualified to opine upon.

Jasonma repped this.
  6. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Boy is that not necessarily true. Depends heavily on what you are trying to offset with said tax breaks.

7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kejsare, Oobers, troutseth and 1 other person repped this.
  8. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon...Sandon is trying really hard to give himself a high-five over the whole scenario and his grudge against Armstrong and Livestrong. Don't let such insights interfere with the delusion...

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just because I said months ago that the stadium's name would change this winter and it has doesn't mean I have an agenda.

Yes, Lance Armstrong is an asshole. But I don't care that he cheated.

I also don't have any issues with Livestrong. I just don't think a professional sports team should be affiliated with them.

But I'm not celebrating this. I'm merely posting a link to the commentary running in the paper of record in the city in question.

But if they kept the name and there was an editorial about it, I'd have posted that link, too.

10. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't that exactly what the kc star is for?

11. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He also sheepishly responded to criticism with a "yeah that was probably an overreaction, oh well". He sucks.

12. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would point out that this "defeat" as he calls it happened last June and Sporting KC has sold out every game since then, including the US Open Cup final and an MLS Cup playoff match. No one will be talking about this once March rolls around and there are matches to watch and discuss. In a decade this will be a footnote in the teams history.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I bet the sponsorship will be brought up in at least KC's early nationally broadcasted games.

14. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no doubt that they'll mention it during the home opener on NBCSN, but that's it, they'll mention it and move on. The author of the article implies that this will negatively effect support for the club, which has already been disproven by the fact that they actually got more support after the USADA stripped Armstrong of his titles. Which brings me back to the heart of my point which is that this isn't something people actually care that much about.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "get it right?"

"be normal?"

first of all, what do you care? are you invested in the ownership group? do you see any effect on yourself if sporting club receives $2m from a lame for-profit sponsor or donates $2m to a charity?
    and why is "being normal" considered the "right" thing? even if the effort didn't work out, why would anyone think it wasn't a worthwhile endeavor to try to: 1. break the norm of awful stadium-sponsored names; 2. raise awareness for a good charity; and 3. try to use the partnership to actually make a difference in the community instead of just looking at a corporate bottom line?

16. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dead on, kcscsupporter.

Also, even if all you care about is cold hard cash, it's pretty clear that the good publicity, brand enhancement, and community goodwill generated by the Livestrong decision were easily worth $2 mil. You have to be pretty shortsighhted not to get that.

It wasn't "stupid"...they just got supremely unlucky. Like, if UNICEF had turned out to be a massive international pedophile ring back when they were on Barcelona's shirt, that wouldn't have meant Barça were idiots.

17. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Though to be fair there have been questions about Armstrong for a long time before they signed a deal.

18. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armstrong, yes. Livestrong, no.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002