Kansas City donates naming rights to Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Felixx219, Mar 8, 2011.

1. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Kansas City sells naming rights to Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation

Shut up and go visit The Dick.

:D

2. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not saying they don't want to cure cancer. I'm just saying that, most likely, the choice was between LiveStrong and nothing, not LiveStrong and a lucrative corporate naming rights deal.

Ask the New York Giants and the Dallas Cowboys how easy it is to sell naming rights in this economy.

3. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you guys really think the name of the stadium will attract a whole new fan base? I am seriously curious. Are there facts to back this up?

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  5. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, it wasnt. Sporting KC chased Livestrong and was originally turned down and Sporting KC turned down legitimate corporate deals to do this.

The stadium is in a high traffic retail and entertainment area, next to a major highway, and will host at least 20 soccer games a year plus numerous other events. All this means that millions of people a year will see the stadium. Companies are willing to pay for that.

6. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's not the name, it's the cause. If people know that part of the money they spend going to the stadium go to Livestrong, it will probably cause a few people to go that wouldnt otherwise.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Who said anything about "attracting a whole new fan base"?

It's a great marketing tie-in. Anything that raises the public profile and draws attention to the soccer team is a plus.

One thing that most original market MLS teams are still struggling with is achieving some semblance of relevance in-market.

This helps that. It's not about chasing some "new" fanbase. It's about growing the existing one. Get the "tire-kickers" back to the stadium. Get the local media to mention you more often and provide more free publicity.

37k (most local) set a then record for a WCQ home crowd in 2001. 50k+ (most local) came out last year for the ManU friendly.

The potential fanbase is there without going after non-soccer fans. The trick is getting the existing base of people in the market who are fans of soccer (as spectators) to start going to Sporting Kansas City games.

As we've seen on BigSoccer, a lot of fans are as (or more) concerned about image than what happens on the field. It's stupid, and silly, but it's there. If LIVESTRONG Sporting Park and it's portrayal in the local community and media helps legitimize Sporting Kansas City so that potential fans don't feel embarrassed when talking about MLS at work, all the better.

It's not about taking Tour de France junkies and making them soccer fans. No more than the rainbow jerseys were about appealing to Kansas City's gay community.

1 person likes this.
  8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

He was going after the cancer survivors. More of them than cycling fans.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

FYI,

biker: [​IMG]

cyclist:
    [​IMG]

10. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    hmm. wonder if the Nike connection will help in hosting USMNT games.

Also, would such a socially responsible move elevate the teams value of a jersey sponsorship?

a couple of things to think about.

11. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which deals, and how much were they worth? It's possible, of course, but I'm not convinced by a press release saying so.

Yes, a lot of people will drive past it, and a lot of people will go to the games and other events.

On the other hand, over a hundred million people watched the Super Bowl this year, which was played at a stadium that hasn't been able to sign a naming rights sponsor yet. The Meadowlands gets a fair amount of exposure as well, with the possibility of signs on the Jersey Turnpike (a "major highway") for the winning bidder. They've come up empty as well.

Realistically, there are not that many companies for whom an MLS sponsorship makes sense ITTET. The last two sponsorships have been deregulated utilities, which isn't a coincidence: big-budget companies with regional footprints. There are only so many banks, telecoms, and major national retailers to go around, and many of them already have their names on higher-profile stadiums in other sports.

12. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not coming from a press release, it is coming from people within the organization. They have also hinted at Livestrong through social media for the last several months.

They havent come up empty, they just havent gotten someone willing to pay their price. There is a big difference.

Believe it or not, Kansas City houses a lot of well known, multi-national corporations.

Ever heard of Sprint, Hallmark, AMC Theatres, Garmin, H&R Block, or American Century? Those are all housed right here in KC. And that is only the start of that list, I could go on forever with potential suitors that might be willing to shell out a couple of million a year.

13. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Crap, Sprint paid a ton of money to put their name on a basketball arena that's used 7 or 8 times a year (unless UMKC moved their games there and I don't know about it)

14. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um, the Sprint Center is one of the busiest arenas in the entire world.

15. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's no difference. They asked what they thought it was worth and nobody was willing to pay it.

I'm not attacking Kansas City, so you don't need to be so defensive. What I said was that MLS stadium sponsorships made a lot more sense for a certain kind of company: a large company with a regional, not national, footprint, like a bank or a deregulated utilities. All the companies you've mentioned have a national footprint and are probably better off spending their money on national advertising. As far as I can think, Pizza Hut is the only MLS stadium that's sponsored by a local company with a national footprint, and that was back in 2005 when the economy was very different.

Recent sponsors have been large companies that want local or regional recognition, like PPL (who can only sell electricity regionally), or Dick's (a Pittsburgh-based company that was expanding into Colorado at the time). That's a much smaller category. Companies with national footprints are probably better off in higher-profile sports where they'll get more national, as well as regional, exposure.

16. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The person I quoted did. Hence the reason I included their quote in my post.

I took this to mean he thought this might pull in a whole new group of fans.

He was not referring to anything to do with supporting a charity. Only the fact that cyclists might come because the stadium is named for their hero.

17. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, there is a huge difference. One means that no offers are coming it at all. The other means that they have set their price too high for the market but they have interest. If you cant tell the difference between the two, I dont know what to tell you.

Well, we have plenty of those two. However, I dont necessarily agree that it needs to be a regional company. As MLS grows, it will get more national attention and with more national attention comes more national TV appearances.

You seem to think that all national companies follow the same marketing strategies and they dont. They are all different in what they seek to do. So you really cannot lump all of those national corporations into one pile and say they dont work for MLS. It doesnt work like that.

18. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    IMO, this was a bad decision. Giving your hard earned money away to charity? Sure that is noble but we are in business to make a profit. Sporting KC isn't Barcelona. They can't afford to give their money away like Barcelona can.

Will this deal be replicated in the American sports landscape? Most likely not.

Just sayin' what nobody is saying.

19. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a reason for that.

20. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    And that is?

21. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You need to take your blinders off. You are looking at this through a very narrow scope.

The guys that own Sporting built Cerner from the groundup. They know what they are doing.

Why does a business always have to chase money? Social responsibility is important and far too few companies acknowledge that.

Part of the new Sporting brand is being involved in the community more than just running a soccer team and taking the money people want to give for watching and supporting it. This is the first step in that process.

With that said, when this is all said and done, I bet you this turns out to be profitable for the team. Not only does it allow a tax deduction but people will come to the stadium that may not come otherwise just for the peace of mind that part of the money goes to charity. The team might get more national TV appearances now, they may get more concerts now, they may get a ton more events now which produce a profit.

You shouldnt look at things through such a narrow scope, it will blind you from the important things.

22. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That only a fool would think that a team giving several million dollars to cancer research is a bad decision.

1 person likes this.
  23. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That only a self-absorbed asshole would think that a team giving several million dollars to cancer research is a bad decision.

24. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Fixed.

*edit*

Damn, hater's be hatin'.

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to SKC. Classy move, IMO.

Speaking personally (and I don't care who agrees with me or not), but this clinches the deal that MLS is profitable.