Kansas City donates naming rights to Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Felixx219, Mar 8, 2011.

1. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Kansas City sells naming rights to Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation

My thoughts exactly. Apparently the doping people have a major hard-on for nailing him, and if they do...

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

I'm surprised adidas has gone along with this at all.

Nike pushed the Livestrong thing big-time and Lance is one of their biggest names, even after retiring and then re-retiring.

I know it's all for a good cause, but it's not neccearily good for adidas' causes and they've given MLS a lot of money to look out for their causes.

3. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Adidas really has nothing to say about it, honestly. This was a naming rights deal for a building which will undoubtedly hold other events besides MLS matches. Sporting KC can't put it on their kits, but SC can name their stadium for whoever they want.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

I'm not. Livestrong is associated with Nike. But Toyota actually is the direct competitor of a league sponsor (VW). For that matter, so is Red Bull (PepsiCo). So is Alaska Airlines (AA). Arguably, BMO (Chase) is too.

1 person likes this.
  5. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

Wasn't Honda still a shirt sponsor for Chicago when Toyota was named stadium sponsor?

6. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey now, stop putting thought and research into your posts. I thought this place was only for wild, baseless speculation.

Seriously, it's people like you that give this place a bad name...
    :rolleyes:

2 people repped this.
  7. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lol... repped.

8. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Plus they might attract a lot of the biker crowd!

....is that good or bad?

9. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, but that's not the greatest example.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

It's definitely not a Nike "brand". Lance Armstrong is sponsored by Nike, but Livestrong is a seperate entity.

My company sells Giro branded Livestrong bicycle helmets. No sign of Nike whatsoever. We even sold them when Nike was a strategic partner of Trek bikes - who supply Lances bikes and offer their own helmet lines.

The Nike/adidas thing isn't in play here from what I know.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

I see it more as Nike being a Livestrong licensee than Livestrong being a Nike brand.

12. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nike helped get Livestrong off the ground and designed the Livestrong Bracelet. That bracelet and Nike's sponsorship of Lance is why the foundation and Nike are so closely perceived by the public. Nike also sells a Livestrong line of clothing, with proceeds going to the foundation. They are, however, separate entities.

13. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe but I dont think it matters when it comes to being a jersey sponsor. Livestrong is closely affiliated with Nike and Nike sells a shit ton of Livestrong apparel that has Nike's logo all over it. There is no way Adidas would allow Livestrong to be on their jersey.

From what I found, Nike considers Livestrong a co-brand which may very well be a lincesee as you refer to it. I think that would be enough for it to be a violation of the agreement with Adidas.

With that said, I would love to see it. But, I am betting the team will look for a revenue generating sponsor. But, it would be awesome if they decided to work with another charity for the jersey sponsor. I think that would really say something about OnGoal/Sporting Club

14. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah it would say they had shit for brains. Allowing Livestrong to skim a little off the surface of the revenue stream and reap the benefit of association is shrewd, smart, noble ... two charities and your mixing the message as well as taking a healthy loss in all likelyhood. At some point OnGoal will be looking to make a buck, and if Sony had queued up $3m a year for the stadium this probably would never have happened.

15. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston

Not true. The only benefit of a charitable donation is to offset income, so if a company (or individual) doesn't have any net income then there is no tax benefit. The donations can be carried over from one year to another for a certain period of time, but ultimately, to get any tax benefit, they have to be used to reduce the income that tax is paid on. For companies that are not net profitable ("making money"), then there is no real tax benefit.

1 person likes this.
  16. Gallade

Gallade Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC

Vouch. It's still the Skydome for me and anyone I talk to, despite Rogers broadcasting the games themselves and therefore ensuring proper use of Rogers Centre naming.

kudos on a cool move, KC. it'll be a bit easier for me to swallow when you make the playoffs this year over us. ;)

17. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I'm still calling the stadium The Jock Strap.

The Cauldron is now the Athletic Supporters.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course if they set it up like Colorado (Where the team, stadium, field complex, TV, and merchandising are all separate companies under the KSE banner) the stadium could make money and make the donation wile the team still loses money.

1 person likes this.
  19. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO

I'm sure your fellow 7th graders will giggle.

20. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not going to lie, I chuckled.

21. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lance has been undergoing investigation for over a decade and will continue to be put under investigation because he is a boss, and haters gon' hate.

By now, enough people support him and his organization to where he could be caught smoking heroine and i'd still rock a yellow wristband.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is this uncommon for new stadiums. I honestly don't know. Wi-fi is the last thing I think about when I'm at events. I know RFK has free wi-fi if the wind is right and you can get the press box's open connection...

23. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

I've heard the noose is getting tighter around Lance with more revelations. But thats another topic.

24. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I was actually at the press conference today and joked about asking about what would happen if Lance was found out or convicted. The guy standing next to me (who is also a friend) pretty well told me to stand nowhere near him if I did. I thought maybe it was my cynical nature but I think its a valid question ....... for down the road.

Edit -- legit enough for them to be asked by the KC Star ...

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/08/2709585/sporting-kcs-stadium-name-is-nearly.html#ixzz1G4pPte00

25. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lance is a fraud.

Hope this donation doesn't go to his legal defense.