Kansas City donates naming rights to Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Felixx219, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Kansas City sells naming rights to Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation

You think Adidas is going to allow such a thing? No way in hell.

Rumor has been that American Century, a KC company and handler of Livestrong's money could possibly be it.

2. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes.

Mods - Can you please change title to: "Kansas City donates naming rights to Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation"

3. Tom845

Tom845 Member

Jan 25, 2011
    New Windsor, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't realize that Adidas has an interest in the jersey sponsorship. Do they get a cut?

4. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not to be cynical, but...

The stadium had to be named something before it opened. If there was a company that wanted to pay the Wiz a few million bucks a year, they could have gone that way.

On the other hand, if there wasn't an offer on the table, donating the name to charity makes more sense than calling it something generic, like "Johnston-Klein Sporting Park" or "The Prekidome," because:

1) You presumably get to write off the value of the naming rights you're donating, even though it doesn't cost you anything more to call the place "LiveStrong Sporting Park" than "L. Frank Baum Memorial Ampitheater."

2) You get some feel-good press, even though you may not actually be donating anything (or more than you otherwise would be) to charity. KC have said they'll guarantee that a certain amount will be raised, but haven't exactly said that they'll be paying it.

3) Most importantly, if you can't get a sponsor this year but want one two years down the road...it's a lot easier for fans to swallow if LiveStrong Sporting Park changes its name because the naming rights expired (charity or not) than to tell them you're changing a name that's become beloved by the locals, like "Candlestick Park" or "Digital Takawira Athletic Venue." This is why no stadium will ever be named after national heroes or war veterans again, because stripping off the sign that says Veterans Stadium or Soldier Field or RFK Stadium or JFK Stadium would be a much bigger deal than switching which bank's name is on the front.

4) Journalists and fans are also more likely to switch usage from Livestrong to Consolidated Carcinogens than they are to switch from a non-corporate to a corporate name--the new Meadowlands will probably stay the Meadowlands to a lot of people now no matter which bank and/or beer company eventually buys its naming rights. Hell, I still call the CoreStates/First Union/Wachovia/Wells Fargo Center "Spectrum II" and everyone knows what I mean.

5. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, but Livestrong is most definitely a Nike brand.

6. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005

This.

7. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This feed is pretty choppy...

8. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What an awesome move a la Barcelona and the Unicef shirt sponsorship. Love it. Great job KC.

By the way, notice the Sporting Club and different-looking crest in the background? Looks sharp.

9. Tom845

Tom845 Member

Jan 25, 2011
    New Windsor, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ahhh... I don't follow cycling so I did not know that. Makes sense. Thanks.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

assuming you are making money in the first place.

11. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    amazing partnership. its mere uniqueness is great marketing.

granted im sure you will get the espn boneheads that well yell "look they had to pay someone to sponsor their stadium. soccer is so lame"

but i love the move even if i dont have testicular cancer.

12. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I realize that but Armstrong is the very public face of the Livestrong organization. It could be a black eye by association if Armstrong is proven to be a cheat. Not trying to be a debbie downer, I think the idea is fantastic. I just hope that if the outcome of Lance's investigation are bad, it does not negatively impact the organization and SKC/MLS by extension.

13. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

afaik, you (or your corporation) don't have to be "making money" to get a tax benefit for donating to a 501(c)(3).

15. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Be cynical if you like, but I think that this ownership group is actually interested in doing something good and fighting cancer. Neal Patterson's wife has had a bout with cancer, if that says anything...

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  17. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After all of the fruitless "investigations" of Armstrong already, I would think that most people stop noticing.

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

exactly.

the Livestrong brand, and the Lance Armstrong Foundation (and their work) are much bigger than even a 7-time Tour de France winning athlete.

whatever Lance's future holds (or if his athletic achievements are later re-written), his foundation will carry on its meaningful work.

great move by SKC.

19. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what we've been told.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    free, or for a fee?

(maybe if it's for a fee, that would get donated to Livestrong as well.)

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'd been told free previously...

22. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think so. They had free Wi-Fi at CAB.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sets up SKC to sell a hell of alot of jerseys, if they put Livestrong on their shirts.

24. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One rumor over on the KC board is that we're talking with American General (through whom we got introduced to Livestrong) about being the jersey sponsor.

25. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't do that. Adidas would not allow a Nike brand on their jerseys.