K-League thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Deleted Users, Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's it goin fellas? Cool pics, especially of the Suwon supporters. I had no clue that any K-League team had support like that. Must be fun as hell to be a part of that crowd.

2. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    gotta love the "Today is the day we eat Cheetos"

3. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    How I wish the level of attendance for all of the K-League fixtures was like the one during the Daejon Suwon match.

Unless the country's entire past-time culture changes, I dont see it happening. Because most Koreans looking to relax, kick back, and get some R&R just go clubbing, go drinking, sing at a noraebang, and most popular of all, just sit, drink heavily, and chat.

But most of all I also think the style of football K-League has been adapted to is one of the reasons why it isn't so hot. I have seen very little K-league matches, but from what I've seen, they play the all too familiar and all too painful, long-ball-pray-to-the-lord-an-attacker-gets-to-it-and-scores style of "bbung chooku" And as if that wasn't painful enough, the games I've seen had both teams attacking through both of the wings than through using a variety of attack routes down the center.

So, 1. Korean culture changes 2. the style of the K-league changes, then we'll see Football becoming more popular with the masses. But since number 1. is an impossibility, I'd say K-League should change into "suhn-jin" chooku of Europe.

4. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Nah, its more marketting. As long as the clubs start advertising themselves like Dajeon..i once saw a pic of a soju bottle they sell in daejeon and on the back of the bottle, they had a big DCFC logo and said "we love Daejeon Citizen".

At every LG Twins or Doosan Bears home game at the Jamsil Baseball Stadium, the average attendance is about 20K+. That's a descent number. When they have the local Seoul derby, the stadium is jam packed. I don't see anything wrong with the culture...ppl can go drinking AFTER soccer games.

So
    1) Marketting
    2) Sell beer at the stadium
    3) Marketting.

5. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    I'll try to post some more K-League stuff during this season.

6. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    To all the Korea and Suwon haters:

[​IMG]

7. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    [​IMG]

TOMORROW IS THE DAY. ALLEZ LES BLEU.

Suwon 3 : 0 Anyang

8. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Blue and White Army:

I'm changing my destination to Seattle. Is there a soccer club in Seattle?

9. Blue and White Army

Mipo Dockyard
    Oct 14, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Indeed there is, the Seattle Sounders (www.seattlesounders.net).

Seattle are in the same league as Syracuse (the A-League), and were in fact regular season champions in 2002 (almost breaking the A-League record for best season with a 23-4-1 record). Unfortunately, they fell 8-2 aggregate to the MIGHTY VANCOUVER WHITECAPS (my club) in the play-offs. I was at both series legs (Vancouver and Seattle).

Feel free to check out my personal photo gallery from the series: http://individual.utoronto.ca/devon/whitecaps.html

Seattle also have audio webcasts as of this season (they had video webcasts in 2001, and nothing last season). A-League.com has the links you'll need to listen.

As of this season, Seattle now play in the brand-new Seattle Seahawks Stadium.

Just curious... why the change from Syracuse to Seattle? Clever move, if you ask me. If I had to live in the US, it would only be in Washington/Oregon/northern Cali.

Cheers.

10. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Thanks dood. I really appreciate it.

I just got accepted to University of Washington today and if i do go there i get a 3 year ROTC Navy scholarship (that is..if i pass AP Literature right now..)..as with Syracuse Univ...its WAY too expensive.

Now our rivalry begins again. The whitecaps are going down baby.

BTW, are the A-League thinking about a relegation system with the MLS?

11. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Essvee,

You made a right choice. Syracuse is in the middle of nowhere and it gets bitterly cold in the winter. It's about five hours from New York City by car. I almost went there for medical school but luckily didn't. I had no idea that you were a high school student though. You're a year older than my brother. But I hope you get that Navy ROTC at Univ. of Washington. Seattle is much better than Syracuse. I'm going to Korea this summer and hope to catch a few K-League games. But I won't be near SUwon (or maybe I will - I'm going to be Seoul). Kinda sucks that there is no established team in Seoul. If I get assigned to Gangnam, I may be able to get to Anyang. How far is Suwon from Seoul? If it's not that far, I might catch a Bluewing match. That is of course if my girlfriend will let me. She still hasn't gotten over how she became secondary to me after last year's World Cup.

Best of luck.

12. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    man, those Suwon buffallo wings fans are classless!
    :D

13. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    you been in America too long. Korean culture is changing and the style of the K-league is also changing. When the 5-work day system really becomes regular for every work places, you will see the sport growing bigger. (you do know that the bank workers already are working only 5 days a week, huh?)

14. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll like Seattle. I went there over a month ago for the US/Venezuela (should've been Japan) match and hung out with some friends I have living over there and go to school there. From what they've showed me, UW is damn big but looks like a lot of fun. They got a typical college town with shopping and restaurants. Most importantly, all the girls there are gorgeous. Well either way, good luck with all that.

Nice pic of the middle fingers by the way. Too bad that kid didn't do it.

15. Blue and White Army

Mipo Dockyard
    Oct 14, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Essvee,

No, there's no plan for promotion/relegation with the MLS any time soon. Several reasons, the big two being:

-Canada/US is BLOODY BIG. Promotion and relegation is possibly in small European countries, as the clubs with little monies that get relegated don't have to travel very far. Clubs in the MLS have to travel further than European clubs have to travel to compete in the Champions League / UEFA Cup.

-The MLS is basically a single-entity ownership. Three blokes own all the MLS clubs; they are not all independent clubs from one another, as A-League and European clubs are. Clubs have to pay something like $30 million to procure a franchise fee. As such, the owners of MLS clubs would be kissing that $30 million goodbye if their clubs were relegated. Likewise, A-League clubs wouldn't have to pay such a franchise free if they were promoted... all this really complicates things.

So, the problem is not with the A-League, but rather with the MLS. Until they clean up their act and become a league of independent clubs, promotion/relegation will never happen in Canada/US.

As for Seattle, they won their first two games this season against derby rivals Portland Timbers. The two game series doubled as a qualification series for the US Open Cup, so Seattle is into the first round, and Seattle is out. Unfortunately for Seattle, their #1 keeper Preston Burpo shattered his jaw during the first match, and will be out for quite a while.

Seattle then went on to lose to the lowly Calgary Storm, who (I believe) were the worst club in the entire league last season. Mwahaha!

16. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Wow thank you for all your support everyone.

Almogavar92
    Suwon is only like 4-5 stops away from Anyang. I say you wait another 9 or 10 minutes and go to Suwon. Anyang is a little piece of trash town. their team sucks, their stadium sucks, and their city sucks. All in all, from Seoul, it takes about 35-40 (by train) minutes to Suwon. Since i live right next to Yongsan station, I don't have to change lines or anything but depending on where you are, you'll prolly have to look for a SUBWAY-RAILROAD transfer line/stop nearest to you. Have fun

Blue and White Army

Whatever. Just wait. Just wait.

17. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    A funny pic. Someone posted this on the bluewings forum despite the fact that the wednesday games are all cancelled or something like that:

[​IMG]

18. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    [​IMG]

It says "Gyuk-Pa Anyang" or "Destroy Anyang"
    But tomorrow it will be:

"Gyuk-pa Busan"

Allez Les Bleu. Suwon needs this win against Busan.

[​IMG]

BTW, the cancelled games are going to be played on the 18th.

19. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God damn I really want a Suwon jersey.

20. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    Anyone know whether attendance for K-League has been rising?

21. Blue and White Army

Mipo Dockyard
    Oct 14, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, it's been rising since the beginning of the season. However, crowds are still nowhere near where they were immediately after the World Cup last season.

22. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think a lot of star players going Europe has something to do with that attendance. There were a lot of teenage girls last year.

23. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Round 9 Results

Ulsan 3-0 Daejeon

Busan 1-2 Suwon

Pohang 2-1 Daegu

Jeonbuk 2-1 Bucheon

Anyang 0-3 Seongnam

Sangmu 2-1 Jeonnam

24. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    I REST MY CASE. Blue and White Army, GET OUT OF MY FACE.

25. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    the koreans kept their promise last year. "CU@KLEAGUE" The clubs havent done anything to keep those crowds. totally not our fault...and teenage girls can kiss my @ss.