K-League Miscellaneous

Discussion in 'Korean Domestic Leagues' started by ChaDuRi671, Jun 15, 2012.

1. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I remembered seeing an Ulsan game with my family. We were sitting in the West I think, not where the supporters sat. I remembered my mom commenting about the Ultras, "Why aren't they singing louder/ Why aren't they doing cool shit?" and I felt that the supporters were pretty exclusive and people didn't felt like they were part of it. I think the supporter groups should try to be more inclusive by interacting with the fair weather fans, teaching them the songs, making them part of tifo choreography and giving out banners. That way more people would feel they are part of the team/supporters and more obligated to attend more games.
    So I think the K-league should foster a better supporter culture and make soccer an important aspect of Korean life.

kevinkim26, wetcrispy and Chorok repped this.
  2. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    New Yorker in Jeju, South Korea
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Get rid of f*cking baseball.

zdrstvte and shinović89 repped this.
  3. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    Baseball was introduced by Philip L. Gillett (also known as "Father of Korean baseball"), an American missionary in 1905, and formed the first baseball team at the Hanseong YMCA in 1905. The first formal baseball game was played in Feb 11, 1906, between the Hanseong YMCA and the German Language Institute stationed in Seoul at Hullyonwon (near today's Seoul stadium). However, it was until the late 1970s and early 1980s, baseball became a nation-wide popular sport just after the pro-baseball league was established in 1981. Baseball is considered relatively a "new sport" in Korea unlike football, the oldest sport in Korea's past and modern history.

4. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    More like when Park "instant Minor League" Chan-Ho and recently Ryu Fatty went into Major League Boring.

shinović89 repped this.
  5. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Daejeon's new clubhouse is officially open.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Radu Razvan repped this.
  6. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

griffindinho_au repped this.
  7. griffindinho_au

griffindinho_au Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  8. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  9. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  10. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    You and I share the same hate for k-poop and baseball.

[​IMG]

kevinkim26 repped this.
  11. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]
    Our solution to our striker problem? :D

12. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #987 kevinkim26, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    We are united in broship, brother. Until our ultimate goal of completely destroying the shit that is k-poop and baseball is achieved, we struggle on, shoulder to shoulder.

[​IMG]
    "...my brothers of the sword, I would rather fight besides you than any army of thousands."

zdrstvte repped this.
  13. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  14. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  15. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

Although I agree with you Mehstar, it's not as simple as you put it out to be

in your typical average K-League Classic match
    -40% of the supposed "fans" come out to perhaps 1-2 games per season. they're usually "Baseball" supporting fans/families that want to kick it up for a change. they're used to breaks in-between batters and bathroom breaks whereas soccer demands your attention for the entire half. if you didn't know, Chicken/Squid&Beer is an essential to attending a baseball match. many of these fans try to follow suit when it comes to soccer. it's hard to an active supporter and chant when you have a chicken wing in one hand and a can of cass in the other. these are the "fans" who just raise their voices at fouls and cheer when a goal is scored with the occasional "(insert team name) FIGHTING!"
    -sprinkle in another 10% of the crowd who came to the match for some promotional event (some big item giveaway, a pre-match celebrity autograph session, coupon, free ticket, or a half-time KPop performance, etc..) they could care less about the team and came to be entertained. to each their own..

these fans most likely WONT show up to more than 3-4 games in a season. they'll come to perhaps the opening match and some random matches throughout the season. if the team has a good form they'll bandwagon and show support (better than nothing). but you can't get them to be as actively involve as you want

-throw in another 25-40% of the fans (depending on the team) who are season ticket holders or regulars who show up to over half the team's matches and sometimes clap along and sing to the chants.
    -the last 10-25% of the fans (depending on the team) are the hardcore supporters that stand/chant/jump for the full 90.

from what I've seen, clubs TRY to get the fair weather fans involved. from what I've seen by attending various K-League Classic Home Games (been to about six different home team games: Incheon, Seoul, Pohang, Jeonbuk, Gangwon, Suwon) they play some of the team's songs/chants 15-30 mins before kickoff and have the lyrics displayed on the screen. In Incheon United's case, they go a step further and have the PA Announcer do some practice chants with the whole stadium before matches.

in fact, the Incheon United Supporter's Group, Meetyouhallboys, would try to get the crowd involved by chanting out "Ham-kkae-hae-yo" (sorry dont have Korean font on this computer)to the other sections of the stadium right after kickoff. in that context it means "Let's chant together!"

they also go around the stadium chanting before matches and file into the stadium as one big group. I've seen random people jump in (usually foreigners or tipsy Koreans) and they welcome these strangers with open arms. I'm not sure if they do this to encourage people to join but I've seen it work on multiple occasions.

check out 1:42 when one of the Ultras approaches the group of children watching the supporters.

another problem is the stadium itself.
    not only do a handful of stadiums have the atrocious tracks separating the pitch and the stands, many of our clubs occupy stadiums that would be lucky to have their season's highest attendance to fill half of their respective stadium.

imagine trying to cheer for a team when all the ultras are bunched at one side and your halfway across the stadium sitting 20 feet away from the closest fan. Korea has a "saving face" culture and they don't want to stand out by being the only ones chanting. this doesn't necessarily apply to every team but I've realized this after living in Korea for a year and a half.

Incheon United is lucky in this instance since they have a soccer-specific stadium. it's a small, intimate, track-less stadium with great acoustics. you can hear the Ultras chanting all the way from Dowon Metro Station.

also KBO will have a better following than K-League Classic (at least for now).
    you can socialize in between pitches during a baseball match but as I mentioned before, you HAVE to pay attention for the entire half to be caught up in the soccer match. you can't go to the concessions stands in-between the action of a soccer match and ask "what happened?" in the time that your gone. you can def. do that in baseball either in between innings or pitches.

another is value. soccer matches can go a bit over 90 mins (maybe 120+ if it's a Cup tie) whereas baseball can go from 2.5+ hours. in terms of KBO, they have the opportunity to throw in commercials whenever play stops. you can't do the same in soccer.

kevinkim26, killaorca and wetcrispy repped this.
  16. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

Eninho scored 1 goal and 2 assists against Guangzhou Evergrande and gift-wrapped it for the Jeonbuk supporters. :thumbsup:

"Form is temporary, class is permanent."

Radu Razvan repped this.
  17. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  18. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Koreans are some of the best Photoshoppers I've ever seen.

Radu Razvan repped this.
  19. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  20. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]
    dat arm full of doodle tattoos lol

21. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Time for some fun K League facts:

Manager with the most matches managed in K League: KIM HO (ex Suwon Bluewings manager) -- 541 games
    [​IMG]

Manager with the most wins: KIM JUNG NAM (ex Ulsan Hyundai Horangi manager) -- 210 wins
    [​IMG]

Current K League manager with most matches managed: PARK JONG HWAN (Seongnam FC manager) -- 415 games
    [​IMG]

Current K League manager with most wins: PARK JONG HWAN (Seongnam FC manager) -- 125 wins
    [​IMG]

Interestingly, out of 37 managers that have managed more than 100 games, FC Seoul's Choi Yong-soo has the best win rate.

Choi Yong-soo 67.12%
    Senol Gunes 63.18%
    Sergio Farias 61.05%
    Hyomen 58.63%
    Choi Kang-hee 58.11%

Seol Korea and kevinkim26 repped this.
  22. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Hwang Sunhong already has 231 matches managed?

Isn't this only his fifth season or something like that?

23. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  24. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul