Juventus 2013/2014 Serie A Season Thread for January [R]

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Falc, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun fact, last season our top 2 attackers scored 19 goals combined, all season. So far, our top two attackers have scored 20 goals combined, and we're still in January.

2. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just goes to show that buying better players ironically enough makes a better team, if that is so difficult to figure out.

gumbacicc repped this.
  3. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Yup and for what, roughly 15 million euros for their much improved forward line? Juve have been the best big club in the transfer market over the last 3 years. Too bad Llorente wasn't fully integrated into the squad for the start of the season and CL. That and a lack of a high quality back up for Lichtsteiner really cost this team a shot to broadcast their play in the KO stages of the CL. Both players have been fundamental to this teams 12-0-1 stretch.

4. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am not suprised Llorente took time to adjust and the team to him. He was not playing at Athletico Bilbao in his final year much. Llorente is a different kind of striker to the previous ones. He is a more physical presence and obviously excels at headering the ball. Once the team play to his strengths then he is a incredibly dangerous. Looks like he is up to speed now and that is going to pay dividends.

I think everyone recognises Isla sucks. I do not se a future for him at Juventus and I am pretty sure that a replacement will arrive for him. Obviously Vucinic also will probably be gone in the summer as well.

5. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Agreed Taib. It was expected that Llorente would take time and its a shame that it cost Juve this year. They are a much much better team when Tevez/Llorente feature together. Juve's starting 11 is as good as any other top side. The lack of depth is something they still need to address if they really want to try to advance on multiple fronts rather than just dominate the league. Still a work in progress.

6. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Juventus will always be a work in progress. It always is at the top as the case of the old adage of standing still is to go backwards. Champions League must be the ultimate aim. To do that the squad must have two good players for every position so that the team can rotate from the League to Champions League matches mid-week without fatigue and injuries eroding efficiency.

I think at the moment the Juventus first XI is the strongest in the League by some margin and the League is near enough under lock and key. Now it is just a case of building upon that so that the squad all round can be competitive. At the moment I would look to both flanks as the replacements of Lichsteiner and Asamoah were well below their level of performances against Roma. Another area was the forward area where Giovinco does not convince me that he can be counted on to replace Tevez or Llorente reliably. These would be the areas I would focus on in the summer mercato. Juventus do not need any panic buys or anything like that so it will be just a case of looking for the right players at the right price.

7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Conte still needs to learn how to rotate. He should be able to 16 deep. The flanks are worrisome but even there, it is not as if he needs to rotate both wingers at the same time.

8. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    I'm not sure its necessary to have two good player in each position, but certainly in some positions.

The front 2 need at least one player that is at the same level to rotate. I agree, Giovinco and even Quags are pretty sizable drop offs relative to an in form Tevez and Llorente. They just play so much better with their top pairing. It was tough to watch Gio constantly losing the ball when trying to hold up the ball vs Roma. Is there a rumor that Berardi might be coming this week?

Between Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba, and Marchisio, the midfield three are ok as long as Conte keeps rotating them.

The back three spots have Chiellini, Bonucci, Barza, Ogbonna, and Caceres. Why doesn't Caceres play more or ever get used in Lich's position?

Lich/Asamoah are pretty much on their own on the flanks. Seeing Isla play for the majority of the first part of the season didn't feel like such a noticeable drop off until Lich returned. Lich on his game is head and shoulders above him.

That leaves...

Tevez, Llorente, Pobga, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Asamoah, Lich, Chiellini, Bonucci, Barza, Caceres, Ogbonna

Although I definitely think Juve have the best starting eleven in Italy, Roma have a better bench.

9. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Caceres would be a much better "safe" alternative to both flanks. I liked better the way Ogbonna played against Lazio in the second half then others we've used. Asamoah has done a good job of hiding the fact that he's not a LB. Caceres would have been my first choice at many occasions this season.

10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Asamoah has done such a good job of hiding that fact that it led to the penalty call against Lazio. He saw Klose sneak behind Ogbonna and did nothing. He is tough and does well defending one-on-one. He does not have the instincts of a defender though.

11. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Asamoah has been a good signing. He has played well, and done so out of position. However, I believe we take a leap forward if we get a quality winger in here with the capability to unlock defenses. We are sorely lacking there, especially with the indefinite absence of Pepe.

12. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Having two players that can play for each position does not mean that there has to be 22 players and two different XIs. Some players can play in two different positions. I think it is important to have alternatives because there is no way that a player can play all the matches in a season.

I think it would be unwise to bring Berardi back at this stage of his career. He is a young striker and he stills needs to mature. He needs game time and he would not get that consistently in the current Juventus team with Llorente and Tevez the established pair up front. I would look for an alternative.

For the centrel midfield there are four players but are playing for three positions. In my opinion that is one too few because if one gets injured then there is no cover available nor substitutions. Another body is required.

The flanks are problematic. Both alternatives are poor and can not cut it.

I agree with your assesment of the players. The goalkeeper situation is also fine as Storari is more then capable deputy for Buffon.

13. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Pablo Daniel Osvaldo is the striker coming in now in Jan, Berardi is staying at Sassuolo as expected. Berardi isn't ready yet, nor will he be come the summer. He needs to stay on loan on a decent serie A team next season

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's really no reason why Berardi shouldn't come next season. With the CL, and a proper rotation, he should get plenty of playing time.

15. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Can we please stop it with Osvaldo?

AmericanKaka repped this.
  16. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no we always need a loser 5th strike that just collects paychecks and doesnt play. we just cannot have a season without an amauri/borriello/toni/iaquinta/bendtner/anelka type striker on our roster.

17. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    What is wrong with Conte?
    He dreams of a team like Guarin-Osvaldo-Nani?
    Is he trying to corner the world market on dumbshit douchebags?

18. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    fyp

19. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    All the scuttlebutt I have seen on these players is that they are Conte targets, not Marotta's.
    Conte didn't want Llorente, but Beppe was proved right as always.
    The problem with Juve right now is Conte. (Relatively speaking of course, most clubs would kill to have these "problems.") He has become too rigid and fixated on certain things.

juventino13 repped this.
  20. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How do you know that?

21. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont get how people hear stories in media and think they are true.

when did we ever hear conte say he wants those players?

when did we ever hear pogba or raiola say pogba is thinking of leaving?

22. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    KNow? Of course I don't know. I'm just talking about what the media speculates, hence the term "scuttlebutt."

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Llorente himself has said that it was Conte who spoke to him and convinced him to sign for Juve.

25. Tegar

Tegar New Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    greeting from indonesia.
    this is my first post here, so please it take easy on me :notworthy:
    so yea, derby d'italia. it should be "easy" with both of inter new players in unable to make their debut against juve.
    possible line up :
    3 Chiellini, 4 Caceres, 5 Ogbonna, 6 Pogba,7 Pepe, 8 Marchisio, 9 Vucinic, 10 Tevez ,12 Giovinco, 13 Peluso, 14 Llorente , 15 Barzagli, 19 Bonucci, 20 Padoin, 21 Pirlo , 22 Asamoah, 23 Vidal, 26 Lichtsteiner, 30 Storari, 33 Isla, 34 Rubinho, 36 Vannucchi <== primavera?

phat repped this.