Justified, Season 5

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bungadiri, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's this. Art was like the straight and clean father he never had, he's already let down enough people and now Art. Now he's going to do whatever he needs to do to put an end to the Crowe's

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I have to say that even though I still enjoyed it, this season was a bit of a let-down after season four.
    The latter part seems to have been mostly devoted to setting things up for the last season?
    The resolution to Ava's prison plot-line is also very convenient, and rather makes the amount of time devoted to it seem wasted.

I might change my mind after a bit more time has passed, but this is how I would rank the seasons currently:
    2, 4, 1, 5, 3

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody else confused as to what happened with Art? Why the thank you? Drugs? Resolution?

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I saw it as a thank you for getting the guy who shot him.
    Though it did seem a bit out of character for Art...

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    What I enjoyed this season:

Dewey Crowe (every single scene)
    The Harris brothers
    Wade Messer and his webelo
    Picker's demise
    The resolution of the 21 foot rule theme
    Eric Roberts cameo
    Art (as always)
    Wynn Duffy (especially in any scene that requires that "one half surprise, one half contempt" look)

Room for improvement:

I didn't really think the Crowes (the Florida branch) were all that memorable antagonists
    Ava's prison sub-plot, which seemed utterly superfluous in the end
    Not enough Tim and Rachel. Not nearly enough.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My stupid DVR cut the show off at the hour mark and didn't record anything after Ava said she wanted to take a shower and sleep. So what happened?

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Boyd went to Wynn Duffy to bring his half of the heroin and met with Duffy's mob wife friend.
    He was offered a job (which looks to be a bank robbery).
    Ava met Raylan on the bridge where Boyd shot the drug dealers earlier this season.
    As part of her release, she will be required to snitch on Boyd.

Dante repped this.
  8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, so the Marshalls and US ADA had a hand in her release. That makes sense after they said that they were going after Boyd. I think it also makes it a little easier to digest Ava's convenient release.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yeah, though he had Vazquez make the offer and Rachel brief her. He only met her on the bridge to make sure she understood that if she does not cooperate, she is going back to jail.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The way season six has been set up, I would guess that one of Boyd or Raylan will not survive. Most likely Boyd...

11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate that. Fortunately it did not happen this time with mine, but man that's irritating.

You can buy the episode on Amazon, I think.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Or season six will mirror season one in that Raylan lets his former friend escape in the end.

13. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gripes:
    Wendy v. Darryl.
    There's no reason for Wendy to put herself in such a stupid, dangerous position by saying 'Aha! I've taped your confession.' She should just leave.
    Instead, she creates a face-off and has Raylan as witness as she kills her brother -- so that's another murder Raylan is pretty complicit in, especially considering he just sat there and watched as she took the second fatal shot.

I kinda don't buy it, from a Wendy perspective or a Raylan perspective -- unless it's going to be used to bring down Raylan's career.

I'm also against the purely gratuitous torturous grief heaped on Winona by having Raylan saying "Here I come"...only to have the rug pulled out in the very next scene with the Boyd investigation.

14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I though the season started off slow, picked up in the middle, but had a weak ending with some confusing plot lines.

Actually liked the Florida Crowes, especially Wendy.

Still, the Mexico plot line was weak and I didn't understand the Ava prison stuff.

Lastly, Raylan seemed to be coasting at times. Needs to step up next season. His love interest was weak this season.

Boyd was awesome and Wynn Duffy is gold...