Justified, Season 5

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bungadiri, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually quite disappointed with that episode, in a season I've quite enjoyed.

-- The introduction of an entirely new character this late in the story with a significant connection to key characters -- and he comes with his own personal nemesis? That was just weird.

-- Plus, this nemesis is better at finding Jack and Kindle -- seemingly by just driving down the highway -- than Raylan? Who has cell phone tracking assistance? A fact so utterly confusing that as my wife and I were complaining about it, the show returned from commercial break with the Alicia Witt character saying the exact same thing. When even the screenwriters have to acknowledge a plot hole, you know something's wrong.

-- And why exactly did Witt's character never own up to being Kindle's mom? Out of embarrassment? That seems so implausible, especially for this person who is supposed to be the smart, moral center of the family. A low bar, sure, but that seemed more than a stretch for that character.

-- And what the hell is up with this Crowe ploy? They planned to kill cousin johnny's men, so that they would need this boat dude? So they knew they would be able to get past the problem of violating the Mexican drug lord's explicit order of no American bodies?

-- And why the f/ck did Boyd call Mr. Yuen about the dead bodies if he's going to take care of it anyway? There's no way he would have known. It only shows he's a gigantic screw up.

Just an odd, odd episode.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To clarify, what was better--from my persective--was the return of Raylan's character to something like who he's been for the rest of the season. In particular, his interaction with Kendal at the end mollified me a little bit. It pissed me off that the same guy who took the heat for Winona's theft of the money from the evidence locker is engaging in petty theft via the caller #7 gimmick (which he got from somebody he thinks is a weasel). It pissed me off that his motivations around Danny Crowe seem to be based on personal antipathy only (yeah, that's always been part of his makeup but it's never been this dominant before). Lately, it has gotten pretty hard to tell the difference between Raylan the gun slinging unwed, uninterested father and the other dirtbags on the show. If his moment of empathy for Kendal and getting dumped by Alison cause him to reboot, a little bit, I'll be happier.

But I agree: Boyd and the Crowes is a kind of a garbled mess at this point.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not sure how I feel about this season. It sure feels more like season 3 than season 4, and that's not a good thing...

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    "Raylan, may I be excused from the table?" :D

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So after Eric Roberts recent guest stint, I decided to check his IMDB and find out what else he has been working on.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000616/

Check out the amount of projects he has in the pipe-line! Even if most of those are bit parts, that's a crazy amount of work!

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Fantastic pay-off to the 21-foot rule theme. :D

Dante repped this.
  7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Also, this. :D

8. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Words cannot describe how much I love Dewey Crowe.

[​IMG]

Long may he live...

9. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    "I've got your stuff."

"All of it?"

"Well half of it. But it's the whole half."

Belgian guy repped this.
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet he'll make less doing all those movies than his sister will be doing just one.

Belgian guy repped this.
  11. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Roberts' Miller is a cautionary tale for Raylan, correct?

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yes, he's pretty much supposed to be Raylan +15 years.

13. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #63 bungadiri, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Okay, I'm feeling much better now.

Edit:

I liked the encounter between Raylan and Art's wife, particularly and loved Rachel being made interim super (there has been too little of her and Tim this season). Generally, I like the fact that CyC has been right: what we've been watching has been a downward spiral fueled by the (logical) consequences of Raylan's decisions rather than an abrupt/arbitrary change in the writing of the character (as I feared).

Randomly: I grabbed one of my wife's Christmas presents to read on a flight last week. It was Colson Whitehead's The Intuitionist, and Erica Tazel/Rachel would make a wonderful Lila Mae Watson.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The exploding cigarette pack was another classic Justified moment. :)

bungadiri repped this.
  15. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Even though you could see it coming from a mile away. The writers love them some Boyd Crowder (for good reason).

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I have to say that Daryl framing his nephew for taking a shot at Art sorta came out of nowhere.
    The ending of last weeks episode seemed to suggest that he now regarded Kendall as his one remaining true relative.
    Letting the kid take the fall sort of leaves him in the same situation he appeared afraid of: as the one remaining Crowe.

17. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda thought that it was part of his set up. He's always used his siblings. I won't be surprised if it's his sister that snuffs him.

18. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought that was right in line -- make a blood pact, now you have to take the fall for the family.

I didn't pick up on the 'ol exploding cigar trick until kaboom -- but I knew the cigarettes were some sort of ruse. Such a cheap thrill, but I loved, loved, loved it.

Boyd blowin' shit up -- that's where this show started and I love to see it respect its roots. Plus it was great to see some fire back in Wynn Duffy.

Also: I wonder if Rachel is going to be the one to shut Raylan down somehow. It seems like he stood on her last nerve ages ago.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So what is Raylan's angle with sending Kendall down for the long haul?
    I think it's foolish to expect Daryl to take the blame to save his nephew, so I'm guessing it's a ploy to draw him out? But how would that help the kid?

20. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best I can figure is he's apply pressure (on Wendy or Kendall or somebody), trying to make them crack and stop covering for Daryl. We know he's not interested in harming Kendall, but the conversation (between him and the DA and judge; aside: shouldn't Rachel have been there?) suggested that this was the best of a bunch of bad options.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yeah but the judge also said that once he went that route, there was no going back.
    Meaning if it doesn't pan out the way he hopes, the kid is going away for life (or at least a very long time).
    I have to say that Raylan acted uncharacteristically cold in general in this episode, e.g. also his threats to Ava.

22. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree. He's behaving unusually. Maybe he's acting out his guilt over letting Art down.

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had been convinced that Raylan was right about Kendall not being the shooter and taking the fall for Daryl because he's a minor -- but now I'm not so sure.

Raylan screwed this whole thing up -- by using Kendall as a pawn in the first place, calling in child services, and then complicating things unnecessarily by sleeping with the social worker. Which of course basically resulted in Art getting shot.

So now Kendall is paying the price -- and Raylan is more happy to basically risk Kendall's life/future with this gamble to clean up his mess. And, as noted, he's also happy to dangle Ava's life in the balance as a threat (not knowing how little leverage he had in that arena).

But what if Kendall was the shooter? Seems somewhat unlikely -- but the audience certainly does not know. And if he was, he's done.

Also: Now Rachel and Tim know about Raylan's complicity in the airport gangland murder. Despite their unified front presented to Boyd, their faces seemed to be saying 'Raylan, You Lying Sack of Shit.'

It's all going South for Raylan in a hurry.
    (all puns intended all the time)

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Raylan's personal story does seem to be taking a rather dark turn.

25. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AlsoAlso:

Very nervous that Wynn Duffy may be gone. The Mexican's eyeballing a very much not-dead Boyd would seem to make Duffy target numero uno.

He's been a bit subdued this season, but I'd be very sad to see him go.